Maybe moving to Seattle....

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey folks. I might be moving to the Seattle area in the next 6 months. My wife would be working for the four seasons, I am not quite sure what marketing role I would get into (might just remote into my current company). I was wondering about driving seasons, cost of living to Austin, Tx, etc...just wanting to see how viable it would be for a relatively modest lifestyle...with a Viper ;)

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cost of living depends on what city in the area you plan to move. Check out this site:

Cost of Living - Cost of Living Calculator from CNNMoney

As far as driving seasons, well that's up to you. :drive:Mine gets driven most every day, unless it's snowing (not often) or I need to drive the truck for some other reason. It's definitely not Austin driving weather, but usually a majority of late June through late Sept/early October is dry & warm.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes all the rain in Houston seem like a dry spell. But hey, you will be right next door to Jon Brobst!!!!!!! Better get a good car cover.......

SmokinViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A general rule of thumb is that everything is more expensive the closer you get to downtown Seattle. Get farther out (North, South, or East), and the cost goes down. Get completely out of King County, and you'll really notice the difference. The real bummer is that literally millions of people follow this formula, so the commutes are exactly the opposite - the farther away, the worse the commute. For the past 10 years or so, we've been in the top 5 worst commutes in the country, although we've dropped a few places in the past 2 years. Traffic is generally worse than Los Angeles, if that gives you any feel for it. The best freeway in the area is I-90. Check into Tacoma or Everett, as they have some limited commuter rail into downtown (where the Four Seasons Hotel is), and much lower costs than Seattle or Bellevue.

P.S. - I tried that relocation computer, and it was pretty brutal. It showed 28% higher costs here overall, with 77% higher housing, 24% higher healthcare, and 23% higher groceries. Wow. I wonder what it would be like to move to Austin? :D

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything costs more here! Most stuff has to be shipped in on trucks.
But hey- we have $30 car tabs (annual), plenty of fresh water October 15 to May 30, and no state income tax!
Today was the first time I bought gas (regular) at under $4/gal since May 1.
One rule I have learned- there is NO such thing as too much garage space in the pacific northwest! Keep everything you don't want moldy under roof!

Like was said, stay out of King County if you can. Olympia housing is less than 1/2 of Seattle.

If you do come this way- give us a holler!
PBR

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, right - $30 car tabs! Not in King Co. Mine are $223.00 apiece for all 5 vehicles to support our privilege of Light Rail that goes nowhere to haul around ex-bus riders. But I'm not bitter...

OP
OP
got one

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. The relocation tool was quite surprising. Definately has made me think twice. That and the rainfall. I don't drive my RT in the rain so it sounds like although the temperature is just about perfect...the roads and drizzle would keep me off most of the year...ugh.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960