maybe some serious/mature advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand your desire to own such a great car. I WORKED
5 years of OT to have this car.

You need to find the post about the Diablo/Vette crash. it happened in long island. to make a long story short: wealthy father buy married son, (guessing late 20's) new Diablo.
Result he is DEAD!! a innocent driver he hit is DEAD!!

Please, please do NOT get this car... you may ruin your life if you do....bad things can happen when your inexperienced.
Trust me!!! i totaled my parents conversion van 30 minutes after my road test. with my mother in the car. things happen.

So consider yourself blessed that Dad is doing so well. After college and you earn your OWN coin, buy your NEW Viper and enjoy owning something YOU worked for!
best wishes
JIM
patriotx.gif

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First thing to do is ask daddy how much he is willing to spend. If its $50K or more you can look at a Gen II 1997+ if its $40k or less your going to be looking at a Gen I RT/10 1996 or older. The Gen I are not that friendly to drive daily, so if its your only car, I don't think its going to work unless you get a Gen II. So my advice is get a Gen II if its going to be your only transportation.

It's cool that you want such a great car at an early age. So if you can get one, go for it. I know I would have got one when I was 17 if given the opportunity. However your chances of getting to age 21 are diminished if you do get the car. Like anything in life you take risks everyday and driving a Viper will just increase your risk.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
i regualarary can drive a 600 hp car... please expirience is not an issue
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From this quote I can tell experience IS and issue. There are people that have been racing for 20 years and still get bit by a high HP car. Just because you have driven a 600HP car don't mean a hole lot when your back end comes around at 80MPH and your headed for a light post.

I'm not trying to sound too harsh, but that's the way many young people end up with serious problems. Your probably going to do what you want regardless of what anyone here tells you, so be safe and good luck.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spoiler,

Ignore these jealous old men, if you can afford the car and you are willing to put up with all the crap of owning one then go for it. You are young only once, I say go out and have a blast.

Besides buying a 50k used viper is still cheaper than a 30k supra with 30k worth of mods.

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do "go for it" and get a viper. put in the 5 pt saftey
harnesses and wear them always!!!
i live just outside of buffalo NY and in the last 3 months
2 people have been killed in vipers.

1 right outside Rochester NY (20 mins away)
it was a red GTS driver was 55 years old

1 in Toronto, Canada (60 mins away) last weekend a steel grey R/T
don't know the age. Do know that the weather was bad...

i just added 5pts to mine... it is not the HP it is the torque that is brutal...literally went sideways down the street first time it tried to drive her.
Also even though you have driven high HP cars drive like your grandmother first 5,000 miles.
i now have 4,500 and am still learning to control her...
Must admit if someone gave me this car at age 17 i would be in thrilled but you have to be sooooo careful...
p.s. i am only 33 not an old fart; just worry about reading in the paper about you!!!
death2.gif

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI

The driver of the Toronto crashed Viper was mid-20's.

I know the passenger of that car personally.

Get a new wrx dude, and mod it, possibly a stealth. I've driven both the GTS and RT/10 and if you had it to drive everyday, you'd crack it up. All that power and rear wheel drive will kill you.
Craig

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can understand the feeling man. Get it or don't, your choice, but here's my experience:

I grew up driving a '72 olds with a 454 engine that was all hopped up (400+hp/tq). My car now is a 340/340 hp/tq camaro (after 70% of all my driving experience has been high HP, and I've never had front wheel drive, even in winter). I've been driving for 9 years (I'm 25), I was a 4.0 student with 4 college degrees. This past year, I did $10K damage to my camaro because I was confident in my ability to drive to the point where I thought I could hot dog a little.

Honestly, I don't worry about you until you've driven for a while. Be it a couple drinks to the point where you think you can handle it just as well when sober, or be it the hormones raging trying to impress a girl, once you're over the initial granny phase, bad things happen because you simply haven't been in the situation enough times to see it coming...

That's something you only gain w/age.

That being said, I don't necessarily think I'm old enough to have one, but I'm getting one... but hey I got a couple years (9 of 'em) on ya...

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll get what U want,Right.So one up the next guy your age,Take a high perf.driving class,it'll be a blast.PS.with a shot of Juicy juice you won't have any performance questions!
usa-clear-s.gif

Reaction score
If I were 16 years old and had alot of cash
knowing then what I know now
I'd do the following

1. Buy a used Porsche 914. I'd use this as a nice well handling daily driver that would let me hone my skills at driving and would be easy to repair and upgrade.

2. I'd buy a Cobra kit and have it shipped to my parents home.

3. I'd start assembling the car. I'd learn welding and fabricating skills. For every system I was putting in I'd study as much physics and engineering as I could so that I could understand why something works and how to improve it. I'd become an knowledgable in engine building, suspension tuning, brakes, cooling technology, metalurgy, aerodynamics. I'd read everything about the mechanical aspects of cars that I could get my hands on.

4. After two years or so with alot of effort and some help I'd have a really nice Cobra replica. While I was building it many friend would drop by because, truly, this would be the coolest thing going on in the neighborhood in the evenings and on weekends.

5. I'd take my car on the streets and to racetracks. I'd spend time improving it.

6. If anyone told me that I was a rich spoiled kid I'd point out to them that I built my car and ask them how they got theirs. Then I'd dazzle them with my knowledge of car construction and automotive systems. I'd win them over with my earnest love of cars.

7. I'd watch "Two Lane Blacktop" about twenty times and then go spend a summer cruising around America looking for old fat guys in sports cars to race and finding all the temporary female company I could (the car would help!).

8. Then I'd grow up, go to college and get a degree in engineering so that later I could make my own honest living away from my father's money in a field that I enjoyed.

Just the way I'd do it!

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sp01ler,

If your a 4.0 student, I must be freak'in Albert Einstein. So here's some advice.

E=mc2 or (3,345 lbs. * 192.3 MPH(2)) = 1 D- student DOA.

Yours Truly,

Albert

P.S. - My logical side tells me this person MUST be joking, but......

P.S.S. - I am 152 years old - the oldest Viper owner!!!

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SpOiLeR,

I had experienced alot to learn to become a responsible driver. I should say that I've learned it through the hard way. Please don't get upset or discourage from the others and their advices. They do have their points here. I should say that all of them are trying to protect you and don't want you to get hurt. Well, it's really hard to understand thing until you have actually experience it yourself. So, buying or not buying the Viper is your own choice. But if you do decide to buy it, by all means, drive it with extra cautions! Because the Viper is simply not the car you think it is. Trust me on that my friend. I've personally owned and driven lots of other high power exotic cars. And all I can tell you is, the Viper is just plain different! Powerful, brutal....you name it. I can say that although I had driven so many other cars before, I'm not even an expert driver myself when I'm in my Viper. And I had been bitten a few times in my own Viper before. There's even a time that I almost get myself killed simply because I want to have some "FUN"!

Anyway, if you do get one, all the best of luck to you and come back to us if you ever need any help with the Viper! I'm sure all of us here will try to help you out as much as possible! Takecare and Good Luck finding your car! God Bless.

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh. WRT to the actual questions you asked, if you want to drive daily, you'll HAVE to buy the aftermarket top and windows.

Otherwise, no rain days (in addition to snow, ice -- though that's more a problem in my state than yours).

You can find Vipers for just over $30K (maybe under now?) all the way to $80K. Take a peek at the classifieds and Ebay motors for a first glance.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has to be a troll. No 4.0 GPA student I've met, and I've interviewed plenty, has such careless spelling and grammar. The errors also aren't indicative of an ESL candidate, which leaves me with either (a) capability or (b) troll. I'm guessing (b) based on some other features of the original couple posts.

Will

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, of all the posts within this thread, I think that the one posted by Intelman34 is perhaps the most intelligent (and he claims to be only 17).

Some of you "old farts" (as someone else put it) have forgotten what it means to be a teenager. Even in our "advanced age" we do have the same impulses that we had back when we were teenagers. The major difference, however, is that we may be less prone to peer pressure.

While I am not a parent (yet) I do understand that a condescending lecture to a teenager does not work. Additionally, recognizing that not all teenagers are reckless and immature may help you in your relationship with your own kid(s). Additionally, it will ultimately be up to SpOiLeR's parents what car he ends up with. They will be the ones paying for the car and are the ones best suited to evaluate his maturity, appreciation for material objects and driving ability.

Anyway, my advice to SpOiLeR (should your dad buy you a Viper) would be to enroll in a high performance driving school (such as Skip Barber) BEFORE you get the car. Also, try not to give in to peer pressure.

Stay safe!

Will

MikeDGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spoiler,
I have been driving Vipers ever since I was 16 yrs old. My dad had a 95 RT/10 then traded it in for a 96 GTS. I (like you) always thought I was a great driver and mature enough to handle the car. Although, I never did get in a wreck, I had a couple VERY close calls. I am now 23 and have a 2000 GTS of my own, but I have also been through college, gone to Skip Barber racing school and matured alot since I was 16 or 17. My point is, I dont doubt your driving ability, but when you have the car you will have MANY temptations to drive less than responsibly. I know I still do have those temptations. I wont try to talk you out of it, Im only 23 and I would have taken a Viper at your age. All I can say is be very careful, and have fun with it only in suitable situations. I learned the hard way when I was 18 and put my Formula Firebird through a light pole at 100+ mph. Thank God I am here, and I have a whole new outlook on sports cars ever since, but I still love them. Be safe and drive careful. Good luck.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 17 year old in a viper = a dead 17 year old. In highschool, I had a 160 HP pickup that I almost killed my self in weekly. If I had a viper I would have surely been dead. Take my advise get something besides a viper. You can have just as much fun in a truck. If you are 17 and take that thing to school, jealous people will put a bat through the window or slash the tires. Thats great that your dad may make a million dollars. But whats that have to do with anything. You can get a good used viper for $39,000. Most people that make on OK living can afford that.

Good luck. Dont kill yourself.

smile.gif

Dirk Pitt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let the kid buy the Viper. After reading his posts I am sure that Darwin will take care of the rest.

BTW, this thread and the BMW thread in off-topic have to be the most insulting posts I have read on this site. There is no law against being fortunate enough to own whatever toys one wants. The disappointing part of these threads is the total disregard for the effort it took for many people to EARN the opportunity to own their dream.

When my kids are old enough I plan on buying them "transportation." When they earn the right, they will buy whatever "car" they want and I won't stand in the way of any decision they have earned the right to make.

Here's to Darwin...

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the risk of boring my fellow frequent posters I add the following:

When I turned 16 I bought a 2-year old Roadrunner Superbird with 400hp. I had worked for 6 years to obtain what I thought was the most outrageous and fast car I could. So I won't try to talk you out of getting a viper, but if you are paying attention to the repetition of themes in these posts I will reinforce the need for driving schools, track time, AND LEARNING HOW TO USE THE ABC KEY on the right hand side above where you are typing. Don't just tell us how smart you are, show us (like intelman so accurately stated) Be careful and have fun!!
cool.gif

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dirk,

Why don't you go one step further, and let your children earn ANY transportation. Why do so many parents now believe in buying there children vehicles? I'm not that old (only 30), and I don't remember very many people, if any, whose parents bought them cars. We worked at Wendy's, Mcdonald's, Taco Bells, Pizza Huts etc... earning an astronomical $3.35 an hour (minimum wage at that time). Most people either saved that money for college, or bought a 1980 Monte Carlo for $1,000. It's funny how so many parents cave to peer pressure - "Well Mike's parent's bought him a car, etc...". SOME PARENTS NEED TO GET A SET AND LEARN TO SAY NO!!! You are creating weak adults that have problems dealing with the simplest problems in everyday life. Not only that, but you are ruining the great experience of purchasing your first car. Mine was after college in 1993 - A 1988 Hyundia Excel with 20,000 miles - 4 speed - 82 crank HP - $2,000. With its 13' wheels, it handled just like my Viper, not. I don't mean to preach, but we need to build character in our children, not give them material goods.

P.S. - I find it sooooo funny how the kid that has a ($15,000 give or take) Z28 with modifications is lecturing the possible Viper owner. What kind of job could you have at 16-17 where you could afford this type of vehicle? Not to mention $2,000 for insurance per year, gas money, etc... Sounds like another spoiled kid to me......

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll chime in on this one.
I will not get into whether you should get a Viper or not because of your age/ expierience..or lack there of..
I will tell you that I dont think I would want to have to drive my Viper EVERYDAY in all types of weather.
They are very low in the front, have alot of front overhang so you will scrape the front facia on lots of stuff, I wouldnt want to have to worry about parking it all the time (college ect).
The A/C isn't the greatest, you cant carry much in the trunk, the stock stereo leaves alot to be desired, there is only room for 2 people, need I go on?
I suppose a Gen. 2 car would be a little better, and a GTS a little better still(I have a Gen. 1 so that's all I know about).
I suppose my main point here is that a Viper is probably one of the LEAST PRACTICAL cars one could own.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE MY VIPER, but I am also glad I have a 1986 Nissan Maxima "******" with 225k miles, I can drive to the store and wedge it in a space between a Suburban and a F350 Super Duty, and not worry about a thing.
I really liked what "Kolwalski Vanishing Point" wrote, now that sounds like a plan!!.
Cheers,

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Dirk Pitt. Let him have it. It's painfully obvious our advise will do nothing to change this kid's mind. If I was 16 and my father was dumb enough to buy me a Viper I would have snatched it up in a second. Of course, there's a strong likelyhood I wouldn't even be here now if that were the case.

Hopefully Ben is right and this is just another troll stirring the ***. If not, watch the GA newspapers, I'm sure we'll see something soon (however unfortunate that may be).

-Matt

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey, I've got a 1980 Monte Carlo that I paid $2,500 for!! Although slight modifications include full roll cage, 5 pt harness, Kirkley seat, fuel cell, 9 inch rear, and a 383.

Spoiler, everything in life will mean much more to you if you earn it. I'm sure you dad will think twice before he buys you that kind of ride.

I wish my dad had bought me a viper, but, I would have killed myself. I started with a Oldsmobile Cutlass with a 350. I "made" it into a "432" 4bbl, 3 speed, dual exhaust.

Bigs says it best, "A luxury once sampled becomes a necessity". Daddy would be setting a very dangerous precedent if he bought you a viper.

Good luck though,

Dave

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spoiler,
DO IT! Run out right now and get an early RT. It is obvious from your posts that you are of above average intelligence and very mature for your age. I know that in your 365 +/- days of driving experience you have learned more than most of us have. I know that you have had enough driving time and that you have been in enough situations that you have honed your razor sharp driving skills to way past that of a Mumford or Pemberton or Woodhouse. You are ready for any situation that happens on the street. You are obviously mature enough not to feel any peer pressure or react in a manner that lets your ego get the best of you. I am sure that 600 hp car has all the handling characteristics and torque of the Viper. So you ought to be able to jump into the driver's seat and run through the streets in your own personal Gran Prix of Georgia. Drive on!

The early RT is a great choice. No airbags, no ABS, no real top, no windows, no trunk space. Just the car to take off to college. And the fact that you are not paying for it - all the better. No one will be jealous and everyone will look up to you. No worries about vandalism - your charming personality will win over anyone that may want to do damage to the car.

So, don't delay. Go out and buy today. Brilliant decision. Congratulations.

Happy now?

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SpOiLeR,
I'll add one other thing. If you are basing your ability to handle a high-horsepower car on your brothers modified VR4, that is a bad comparison. I traded in a modified VR4 on my '01 GTS and these cars are at opposite ends of the spectrum. The VR4 is probably one of the most forgiving performance cars to drive. The turbo lag and AWD give you some margin for safety. The Viper is probably one of the least forgiving. If I had this car when I was 17, I have no doubt I would have put it into a ditch or worse. I was a straight A student with a modified '70 big block Mach 1 when I was in high school and considered myself very mature as well. At 43, I'm probably no more mature now, but I am a lot wiser. The fact that you are apparently hanging out with the street racing crowd doesn't bode well for handling a Viper wisely.

--- Ken
'01 GTS

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think everyone should cut this Yahoo a break. Heck he is only 16 and his post / replies confirm that.
We all remember what it was like being 16 and none of us would have turned down a Viper at 16 or opted to take a BMW. I think the kid is dreaming and is entiltled to dream.
First of all, I really doubt his dad will buy him a Viper and insure it, pay his gas to use as a daily driver. Does not make any sense.
So what he is also a spoiled brat, I would have envied that when I was younger, but now I am past that.

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi SpOiLer,
Well, I certainly don't consider myself an "old geezer" and I can relate to your situation being it hasn't been that many years ago. I would also consider myself quite a bit wiser than a 16, soon to be 17 year old, and that is soley because wisdom does come with life experience. Now let's pretend for a minute that the Viper was being produced back when I was 16-17, and if my parents told me at that age they would buy me a Viper, I would think it was the greatest idea in the world. I would think they were the best parents in the world, as would any 16 year old. I would most likely be wondering the same things that you are: should I get an early model?, what color?, how many miles etc. So you see, in my opinion, the issue is not at all with SpOiLer at all, but rather with his parents. Perhaps you should let your Dad get on to see this thread, so some of us could give him our opinions, and concerns on the Viper for his 16 year old son. Did you not say that your sister wrecked your 99 Jeep, well what if sister was in your early generation Viper, no airbag??? etc... You see SpOiLer I don't think anyone is trying to slam you at all, and the posts that are being made are really about the concern for your well being...and your life.
I think it is up to your parents to help you, to guide you, and teach you to make the right decisions in your early years. To help you understand the value of the "dollar" and hard work. It is wonderful that your Dad is as successful as he sounds, and I'm sure that he has put in many years of hard work to achieve the level of financial success that he has. If they choose to purchase you such a car, at such a young age, or at all, for that matter, then they will have to live with the consequences. Personally, I feel that something is never appreciated unless one has to work hard to obtain it. Let me give you an example that may be more appropriate. You know "that girl" in school, the hot one you want to date, and you have asked her out time, and time again, and she finally says yes. So you go out with her, and the first date you find out she is "easy" and you get "all you want". Well more than likely, you will no longer respect her. Well having an expensive automobile just handed to you is very similiar. Things that come easy, you don't ever have the same respect and appreciation for, as those things you have to work hard for to obtain.
Good luck with your decision, and be safe
Laura
devil.gif
BURNOUT.gif

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to thank all my Viper Brethren and Sister'en (Janni and Laura), and even Spoiler for creating this thread. It provides a couple of things:

1) Shows how much so many on this board truly care about another human life and Viper safety (even if they are a budding Troll).

2) Provides me a great resource to show my 15 year old regarding the joys and pride of earning what you have.

I wrote in Judy's post about buying her son a car that I intend to "hand down" one to my son when the time comes. BUT that is because he works his tail off towards other goals that we have mutually agreed upon. If he weren't doing that I know he would be working a job somewhere and doing a great job.

BTW Tony I don't think we "scarre"-d him off
embarass.gif
, I noticed his posts were all yesterday before 9:45am (probably ditching english class). I just think he hasn't had time to get back on, or maybe he let poppa read it and poppa turned the parental control on! Anyway all the emotion and input coming through on this has been great! Thanks to everyone!
cool.gif

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laura is right 100%,

The problem is not with this kid or his poor typing,spelling skills, but with his parents.

Let's face it, we will all have loved to own a car like the Viper when we where his age.
I think that his Dad is insane and if he his a lawyer as Spoiler/d say,He must not be a very bright one.

If I am not mistaking, Parents are legally liable (monetary wise) for the acts of their Minor (until 18) and what is the surest/best way to have a lawsuit/liability issue than to give the key of a Viper to a 16 years old?
I call that negligence and plain old stupidity.

Luc.00GTS

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
spoiler,

I'm going to give you the blunt objective observations and advice that you asked for. You may not like what you hear but you have to understand that this is NOT meant to insult you.

1. You are too immature to drive. Same goes for most 16 year olds, and I'm pretty certain from the attitudes and demeanor of your posts that you're not an exceptional case.

2. Your parents are insane. Anybody who throws money at their kids as you've described is absolutely out of their mind. They have no prayer of successfully turning their kids into real men or women by raising them like pampered Arab princelings.

3. If you get a viper (a gen1 at that), you WILL be dead within 6 months ... tops. I am not joking.

Dismiss this as I'm sure you will, but it has nothing to do with "old-man's jealousy". You are not what I was or wish I could have been ... and certainly not what I want MY kids to be.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,

There is a big difference between spoiling your kid and putting his life in danger.
Also 16 years old and mature is an oximoron,since the definition of mature is :"having reached full growth or developement".

I also have a boy (7 years old) and even if he could spell correctly by the age of 16 (hopefully way before that)that will not make him ready for a Viper.

luc.

Status
Not open for further replies.