Media Gallery.

pj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So many changes, so little time....

You may continue with the ass wiping, Georgi. ;)

[Wow! 4,700 posts?! Man, Georgi, talk about taking liberties - most of us have to earn our post count the old fashion way!]

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey...how many do I have?!?!? :)

How many do you want ;)

Folks, to be honest, we goofed and did not take into account the fact that many posts link to the gallery images, and the conversion would change all the links.. Shame on us as one of the reasons we started the galleries in the first place was to give users a place to post their Viper images that would not go away like so many image hosting sites have in the past.

It still bums me when I go to the old post of Chris's explaining how to make a ceiling mounted hard top hoist for your garage..... but all the pictures are gone because he must cleaned out his images folder so he could put some great new pics in it.

This one is going to take a while to sort through, but we'll do it right. We had to get the Gallery software updated to bring the Galleries into 2004, and sadly, it will take us a while to make things whole again. Please hang in there. If y'all feel you need someone to hammer, I'm the one that should be getting smacked, as in the end, it was my decision to move forward with the Gallery upgrade....

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay --

It's frustrating, but there's no need for hammering. Your volunteers put a lot into this and don't get the credit they deserve.

Let's focus on how we can help. First, I guess we can send our suggestions for important links to upgrade to the thread Georgi provided above. Secondly, if there is any way we can help in the editing please let us know.

Finally, when you're restoring the photos in the old threads consider moving the best technical threads into the Illustrated Upgrades forum and/or another forum entitled something like Maintenance and Problem Solving.

Thanks for your help.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, here is the tentative plan to fix the broken images:

Our programmer is going to make a prioritized list based on number of views of posts with photopost links in them. We figure that about 20% of them will have a majority of the views and he'll go in and manually fix those posts. While we are doing this, we'll identify threads that really should be archived, and do that at the same time.

Then we'll put up a thread like the one we have up for VCA members asking to get their VCA membership site priv's updated and ask folks to post links to other threads they'd like to see the images fixed.

Between doing these two things we figure we'll get a majority of the posts that matter to users.

Finally, as time permits, we'll go back and fix the remaining image links based on the number of views of the threads they reside in.

How does this logic sound?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62