Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax is the new king!

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meguiar\'s NXT Tech Wax is the new king!

Viperholics,

OK. After seeing the pics of Newport Viper's Yellow GEN I and how good it looked, I had to give Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax a try. So I jump in the ride and head out to Walmart. First off, price is very reasonable. About $13-$14 for 18 ounces of the NXT Tech Wax (Liquid only). The NXT car wash is only $5-$6 bucks for 64 ounces. You only need 1 ounce per gallon (Like Zaino), so you are basically set on carwash liquid for a loooooooonnnng time. They sell two other products in the NXT line: NXT Spray Wax $6-$7 for 24 ounces. Basically this is a detailing spray used between waxes (used like Zaino Z6). And lastly the NXT Tech Protectant $6-$7 for 24 ounces. Use this on Tires, trim, and dash.

OK. Now to the detailing:

1.) Wash car with Dawn to remove any previously used product and to get squeeky clean.

2.) Clay bar the car to remove surface contaminants.

3.) Pull out the Porter Cable Orbital buffer and use 3M Swirl Mark Remover the polishing pad. This stuff is great for removing the swirls and small scratches. Car looks great already. Shinny and 95% swirl free.

4.) Apply the Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax with the Porter Cable and a finishing pad. OK. First off, this stuff is a breeze to use. Goes on extremely easy, and a little goes a long way. I used about the same amount as I would have Zaino Z2/Z5, but it was even a little easier to apply. Not that Z2/Z5 is hard, it isn't, but this stuff was just a little easier to work with. At this point, you only wait 10-15 minutes before removing the NXT. Waited 15 minutes and started to remove. WOW!!! You barely have to apply any pressure and it comes right off. Completely off. No smearing, etc... In comparison to Z2/Z5, NXT is a good bit easier to remove. Not that Z2/Z5 is difficult, it isn't, but this stuff is ridiculous. A 5 year old with one microfiber would have no problem. OK. So how does it look? INCREDIBLE!!! The few minor swirls that could be seen after the 3M SMR are now gone. 100% swirl free and deep, deep, deep shine. I am amazed!!! In my opinion, the NXT shine/deepness was better than Zaino, it is easier to apply, more economical, and less complex. How long will it last? Can't answer that.... I will say Zaino is a king of longevity - 6 months was a breeze. But even if this stuff only last 2 months, I'm sold. It is so easy to use, economical, removes minor swirls, and simple. And the results speak for themselves....

Anybody want to buy some Zaino?

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Meguiar\'s NXT Tech Wax is the new king!

Thanks for sharing.
Going to try this.
Getting fed up with how long it takes to apply the Zaino process.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does it leave the usual "white stuff", like most car waxes?

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The stuff really is incredible.
No dust residue and easy on, easy off.
The spray detailer between waxes is phenomenol.
I've tried them all and I'm really impressed by the NXT.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Poured my Zaino down the draino. NXT is the only thing I use on all my cars. :2tu: :usa:

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I use the NXT Tech wax as well. Easy on, easy off, no residue and it looks great! Definitely better in all these categories than the Meguire's Gold that I used in the past.

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

From the Meguiar's website:

NXT Generation Tech Wax is unlike any car wax you have ever tried before. Nothing even comes close to this amazing product. All we ask is for you to try it. If it doesn't blow you away, send it back and get a full refund. If you're planning on entering a car show or cruise or just showing off, you won't want to be without this product. Here is what this awesome product will do:

Your paint will be darker and richer and the shine will be the deepest, clearest you've ever seen.

Our new ESP (Engineered Synthetic Polymers) technology creates a tougher, polymer bond to your paint so it can provide extreme protection.

Engineered to eliminate those fine scratches so you can have a flawless finish.

Glides on and off easily. You'll be surprised how easy it is to reveal your dazzling new finish.

http://www.meguiars.com

P.S. - Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. Need new batteries for the digital.

P.S.S. - No, it doesn't leave any white residue.

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It was easy on and easy off for me too. The only thing I noticed is that after the waxing I put on a coat of Z-6 like I always do and it seemed like the car attracted a lot more dust than usual. I don't know if it's because of different ingredients in the wax or what. Anybody else notice this?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had promised myself that I would not get into a wax-war again...and made a deal with NewportViper not to hi-jack his threads about waxes. So, I will not mention what I use.

According to a Meguairs' Rep that posts regularly on another discussion board, NXT contains both an abrasive and silicones. Lots of silicone. This is why it attracts dust. They consider it a cleaner-wax. More about that later.

The shine you are seeing is due to the silicones. The problem is, silicones do nothing to protect your finish, have a short durability and attract dust. Remember, it's an oil.

Anyhow, I bought a bottle of NXT to try. I did a test both on one of my vehicles as well as one the non-cleared stripe on my car trailer. Lots of color came back on the applicator and towell from the trailer. I saw no difference on the vehicle's finish. On the trailer, I also applied the Meguair's Cleaner-Wax on an adjacent panel, which actually outperformed the NXT in shine and cleaning ability. If there was any swirl reduction benefit to one over the other...I couldn't see it.

Now that I see there is a money back guarantee....I think I'll send back my NXT. For the price of 1 NXT, I can get 2 Meguair's Cleaner-waxes.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Matt,

I saw no cleaning tendencies in the NXT (less than Meguires Gold), and certainly nothing compared to Meguire's cleaner/wax which I also use when needed. Nor have I noticed any unusual tendency to collect dust.

You need to backup you constant assertion that it contains large amounts of silicones to get it's shine as well as you're new claims that it is abrasive, etc. Why don't you post a link to the mentioned discussion thread by the so called expert so we can all become educated.

Solo II

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice to see the viper crowd getting in on this :) I used the NXT on my black SRT-4 about a month and a half ago, and it was just phenominal! I couldn't believe how great the car looked afterwards. Even now, sitting out there covered in dust (haven't had a chance to wash her), you can still see the shine from the wax! The spray protectant works like a dream...much better than anything else I've used on an interior. It didn't leave everything feeling sticky, and gave the dash a brighter shine than when I picked her up at the dealership.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I did a little more research and came up with this info off the web which compares Meguiar's #20 to NXT based on MSDS sheets. Not totally sure what to make of it except that it must have some cleaning capability and does has some amount of silicone.

Water Content
NXT = 40-60%
#20 = 35-55%

Solvents (Isoparaffinic Hydrocarbons)
NXT = 15-30%
#20 = 15-25%

Solvents, Part II (Hydrotreated Distillates)
NXT = 1-5%
#20 = 1-5%

Kaolin (an abrasive compound; NXT contains Calcined Kaolin, which is slightly modified Kaolin)
NXT = 5-15%
#20 = 8-12%

Polysiloxane (member of Silicone Oil family)
NXT = 2-10%
#20 = 1-5%

Polyglycerol Ester specifically: 1,2,3-propanetriol, homopolymer, (Z)-9-octadecenoate (An emulsifier (fatty acid), used to thicken things)
NXT = 1-5%
#20 = Not identified

Polymer Wax Blend, CAS-8015-86-9 (Carnauba Wax)
NXT = Identified as "Trade Secret," so it may be different than #20 = 1-5%
#20 = 1-5% (Identified as CAS-8015-86-9)

"Conditioners" (Identified as Trade Secret, unidentifiable)
NXT = 2-6%
#20 = 1-5%

Light Distilliate
NXT = None listed
#20 = 10-15%

Full thread can be found here: Http://forums.roadfly.org/forums/detailing/4500186-1.html

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

EDIT...KenH...after I posted the below, the page refreshed and I saw your post. Good info. Am I at least partially vindicated?

KenH...Meguair's has the MSDS on their products at their site....it contains silicones according to Meguairs'.

I found the place where I read about NXT from Mike Phillips, Meguairs' employee. A link is pasted below. Mike's avatar looks like a little Lego guy.

You can read all the pages, but #6...about a quarter or third down...is the part I was talking about.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32996&perpage=18&pagenumber=6

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"From the forthcoming NXT Tech Wax FAQ

Does this contain any abrasives?

Yes, NXT is a very specialized formula, which has the ability to eliminate fine swirls without scouring the surface."

"All the way up to that time, I was led to believe that I was testing, and using a synthetic wax that had no cleaners, no abrasives and thus no cleaning ability."

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32996&perpage=18&pagenumber=6

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It was just a matter of time before Barry's boys and some of the other "big boy" wax companies had their chemists come out with something better. Think I will try it out as I never warmed up to that Zaino stuff.

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's what I know: My car looks better with NXT than Zaino. It is cheaper, easier to apply/take off, and can be bought at the local store. Will it last? Can't say yet.

As far as the technical stuff, it would be great to have a Meguiar's rep post the real deal. I find it hard to believe one of the most well-known wax producers (Meguiar's) would develop a product that would be harmful to your paint if used properly. They have been in business for over 100 years.

Zaino zealots, I'm not knocking Zaino. It is a great product. But it is fairly expensive, time consuming, and is only useful for a finisher, IMO. It does virtually nothing for removing even minor swirls. That's my biggest problem with Zaino. To keep your ride swirl free, you have to bust out the 3M products every 2 months and start the process all over. Layer the Zaino may work for protection and shine, but Z2/Z5 does virtually nothing for swirls. (I drive approx. 1000 miles during a 2 month period.)

I see it this way. In two months, I will have some swirls (from driving --> inevitable) and will need to polish again. With NXT, it will take one coat and 1 hours of work to get the car back to 100%. The car will look deep and shine like a champ.

If I used Zaino, not only would the initial detail take longer (which isn't that big a deal), but now I have to bust out the 3M swirl mark remover and get rid of those pesky swirls (after 2 months of driving) (which is a big deal - A full detail every 2 months is too much work). Z2/Z5 ISN'T GOING TO GET RID OF THOSE SWIRLS. After 10 coats, maybe. But I applied 5 coats and still had some swirls (after 2 months since full detail). Therefore, I resort to the 3M SMR. The 3M SMR is a very mild abbrasive that removes the swirls.

Here's the kicker. 'IF' NXT does contain mild abbrasives, I'm sure they are even less aggressive than the 3M SMR. See my point? With Zaino, I am forced to use 3M SMR every 2 months, or another swirl remover. With NXT, I am not. So even if NXT does contain a mild abbrasive, I am taking less clear coat off my car than the Zaino/3M process I used in the past.

Sorry for rambling....

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Still not sure if NXT contains silicones, but I found this on there website (FAQ). Long read:

19. Are products that contain silicone bad for my car's finish?

No. In fact, automotive paints worldwide contain silicone as an ingredient to help the paint to spray and flow more smoothly.

Most of the concerns people have about silicones and products that contain silicones stem from the problems associated with them in the early 1950's. Back then, 40 and 50 years ago, if the surface wasn’t properly prepared, residual silicones on the surface or in the shop environment, could cause surface adhesion problems. The most common among them is a defect referred to Fish Eyes in the paint.

Fish Eyes are a small, circular craters that appear in the finish where the paint piles up in a circle surrounding a point on the surface that contains some type of contaminant that creates high surface tension, usually some type of wax, grease or silicone. The reason freshly sprayed paint does this is because contaminants like wax and silicone tend to create high surface tension and do not allow the freshly applied paint to stick or adhere properly. Instead of laying down flat over the top of these contaminants, the paint moves away from these contaminants, forming a ring around them that has the visual appearance of what is historically described as a "fish eye".

Knowledge of chemistry, as well as most other technologies have evolved and grown substantially since the 1950's (just look at modern cars and personal computers as two very visible, common examples of how technology has progressed). The problems painters encountered 50 years ago are more easily addressed with today's modern paint prepping chemicals, shop environments, paint additives, and most importantly, education. Back in the 1950's, there were no formal training programs available for young men and women entering the automotive repair industry. Most of the time, a person would start out at the bottom, sweeping and cleaning up, and slowly move up the ladder through knowledge gained by on-the-job training. Today there are hundreds of certified schools that specialize in formal education for the automotive industry. This includes paint manufacturers, who provide in-depth training for anyone who uses their paint systems.

Most professionals in the refinishing industry understand that a majority of the paintwork they do, day-in and day-out, is on cars that have been waxed using products that contain both wax and silicone.

Professionals in the body shop industry always perform the necessary preparation work required to insure that "fish eyes" are not a problem. This includes using special degreasers, wax and silicone removers that effectively remove these substances from the surface or chemically alter their molecular structure in such a way to insure they pose no problems. If there is ever any question or doubt about the surface to which new paint is going to be applied, painters will include a Fish Eye Eliminator into the paint, which insures a finish free from fish eyes. Interestingly enough, Fish Eye Eliminator is typically a special silicone additive.

There are many kinds of silicones available for use in car care products, the one thing all silicones have in common is they are completely inert. This means they do not react in either a negative or a positive manner with any substance they come into contact with, including your car's paint.

Silicones are primarily used to modify or enhance a specific characteristic of another ingredient in a Meguiar's formula. If the silicones Meguiar's relies on didn't offer some type of positive benefit to the product, or the end-user and the results they are trying to achieve, Meguiar's wouldn't include them in their formulas.

For example: The use of some types of silicone in a formula acts to make the product easier to both spread and wipe-off, thus reducing the effort required to apply and remove the product, which then helps to reduce the potential for application or wipe-off inflicted scratches. That’s a benefit to you.

Meguiar's has been the leader in creating paintable, body shop safe products because of our history and continuing leadership in creating state-of-the-art formulas for use by new car manufacturers as well as the collision repair and custom painting industries. Because of our expertise in creating wax and silicone-free products for fresh paint environments, you will find many of our paint cleaners and polishes are paintable and body shop safe.

Because Meguiar's is a major supplier to the automotive finishing industry, both to OEM (factory level) and the re-finishing industry (collision repair, body shops and custom paint shops), Meguiar's can offer you a complete selection of paintable products including at least one polish that contains a paintable polymer for increased protection.

The fear and confusion surrounding this single ingredient, silicone, is an ongoing problem people run into when they get caught up in the hype and misinformation spread from person to person, generation to generation and now-a-days, on the internet, which exaggerates the problems surrounding the use of silicones in car care products.

There are some sources that even go so far to say that silicones are harmful to paint. This is not only dishonest; it calls into question the credibility of that resource and any and all claims they make. Silicone is inert. It cannot harm paint, let alone anything else it is formulated into, or sitting on top of, especially in the form of a coating of wax.

OP
OP
O

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Another question right after the previous:

20. Should I use a non-silicone product to maintain my car’s finish?

If you always want to insure your finish is wax and silicone free, just in case you decide to repaint it, or in case you are in an accident and you want to do everything possible to make repainting your car as easy as it can be for your painter, then yes, you could use non-silicone products to maintain your finish.

If however, you are like the 99.9% of the population, and are more concerned with protecting your car's finish with a long lasting durable coating of wax, or a synthetic protectant, then the use of products that contain silicone will pose no problems to your finish, and in fact will improve both application and removal of products as well as help increase shine and protection.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

EDIT...KenH...after I posted the below, the page refreshed and I saw your post. Good info. Am I at least partially vindicated?

KenH...Meguair's has the MSDS on their products at their site....it contains silicones according to Meguairs'.

I found the place where I read about NXT from Mike Phillips, Meguairs' employee. A link is pasted below. Mike's avatar looks like a little Lego guy.

You can read all the pages, but #6...about a quarter or third down...is the part I was talking about.

Thanks, interesting read. I just think that with all the time spent on the Vipair thread, that it was worth bringing a similar level of science to a wax thread!

I agree with Onerareviper on two points.
1) Why is silicone really a bad word in regards to wax? If it really only applies to whether you need to remove it before repainting your car, then that seems like a non-issue as any reputable shop would surely properly prep the car for repaint without regard to what wax was being used on it. If there is something I am missing, then someone clue me in.

2) A 'very' mild level of cleaning (abrasive) capability seems like a good thing if it means that I don't have to use a more aggressive cleaner on occasion to rub out the swirls and other invariable defects in the finish. Mild being the operative word.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

On a positive note, Barry Meguiar invited the Southern California Viper Club over to his Orange County headquarters. He, and Mike spoke to us at length about the history of these products. They bought us all lunch, and open up their detailing bays, stocked with their products, power buffers, several professional detailers, and lots of instructions. They taught us how to properly clay, polish, and finish our cars. While we could use any products, the NXT line was clearly the favorite.
The WAX WARS will rage forever, but those guys from Meguiars are a class act.
Barry even brought out his film crew, and interview several club members for his Car Crazy TV show, and invited us all to attend the Meguiars Hollywood Awards show, as his guests.
These are hard working, genuine car people, who run a very successful company.

Firecat F7 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am sold on the NXT.
I used it for the first time yesterday.
Easy on..easy off.
Almost too easy off. Kind of made me wonder if any was actually sticking to the paint.
I shook the towel several times after wiping the wax off and never saw any dust or residue coming from the towel. Amazing. Very clean to use.
This is the best shine and mirror like finish I have ever had. What very few light swirl marks I had were completely gone.
Supposedly the formula fills in light swirls and scratches so you can't see them and doesn't actually remove them.
I really would find it hard to beleive that it contains abrasives and if there are any they must be so miniscule.
Everyone has their own opinion about silicones but from most things I have read it is harmless. Doesn't matter to me whether NXT has silicone or not. If that is what is making the blinding shine, then hallelujah for silicone.
Don't know or really care about how long the shine or durability will last. This stuff is so easy and fast to use that I won't mind applying often if the need be.
This is the best my car has ever looked

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

Can anybody comment on the dust attractant issue? It seems that many of the waxes and polishes that I have tried all do a pretty good job, but there definitely seems to be a difference in which ones attract dust - and hence shine longer. I just used the 3M cleaner wax which many people including myself have felt does a tremendous job removing the minor swirl marks and also tried the 3M Perfect-It Liquid Show Car Wax. The immediate results with both the Cleaner/Wax and Show Car Wax were impressive, but I did notice after about a week that the dust attraction was definetly more than the Meguires Gold I used last time.

superdavz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I started using the Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax about 3 weeks ago and I love it as well. Friday I went and picked up some of the NXT Tech Protectant and it does a great job on the inside the car and leaves your tires nice and shinny too.

MOUNTAINWOLF

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have been using zaino for some time, but running low on products. Would I have to do the "dawn" wash to remove the current zaino products on the car before I used the new NXT products ?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The less Dawn the better. Dawn is very alkaline. It not only removes wax, but it also does your paint no favors.

If getting down to basics is the issue, I would consider using clay, or a mild buffer with a porter cable.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Meguiar's has a NXT wash too, and as someone posted earlier, it is inexpensive and does a good job. Pick it up at the same time you get your NXT Tech Wax -- at your local K-Mart, WalMart, or auto parts store.

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I got some of the stuff yesterday and tried it lastnight on my black MB S-600. I thought I'd try it on one of my other cars before I tried it on my GTS. I used my Porter Cable to apply it on a small area on the hood of the MB. The results were stunning. Looks like the GTS is next. :2tu: