Michelin is no more selling the OE front tire, is the new version

SilverViperSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a nail in a front tire, they garage put a patch but I want to change the tire.

According to Michelin, at least here in Canada the new Zero Pressure for the front is now 95Y (instead of the original 87Y)

Service Description

A service description identifies the tire's load index and speed rating. It can be found on the sidewall of the tire after the size listing.

The load index is the tire size's assigned numerical value used to compare relative load carrying capabilities. The speed rating is a letter denoting a fixed maximum speed capability.

Now the new tire support more than 300 ponds of load more than the original that came with the car.

Is someone on this forum that can tell me how that can affect the car. Tire Rack is actually on low inventory for the 87Y.

Because of that strange issue and to avoid me having to different tires, Michelin Canada is purchasing my old tires and I will get 2 new 95Y (of course I still have to assume a certain amount$$$)

Is it going to change something in the handling? If yes what.

Thank you

SilverViperSRT

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered a new set of Pirelli pzero rosso asimmetrico tires that fit the stock wheels. The non run flats which will out handle a run flat any day of the week. I do not believe that dodge or anyone else should sell a car with a tire made by only one tire manufacture, therefor I am changing over to pirelli's which are the same on the front and very very close to the rear running diameter. Sizes are as follows:
front 275/35yr-18 rear 355/25yr-19

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
several people who have gone to non runflats have gone back. the suspension is tuned to run with the ZP-runflats. and your comment about makeing a car witha tire made by only one tire company, is kind of funny because the pirelli is THE tire made for the Ferrari Enzo

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I was trying to do was help people here and my information came form Jon at the Parts Rack. I do not understand what you are getting at here. the tire used on a Ferrari is a Pirelli Direzionale type tire made for mid engine cars. It is not the same type of tire as the Pirelli Asimmetrico tire used on front engine cars like Vipers and Corvetes. Michlin is the only manufacture that makes the stock OEM size tire for the rear of the srt-10 viper. Pirelli is close to the same size in the rear. I feel that we should all have a choice of whatever tire we want to mount on our cars without having to replace the oem wheels to do so. This has been a ploy in recent years to try to get you to buy tires from your car dealer. I had a Mercury Marauder with 365 hp that came with BF Goodrich tires and they were the only manufacture to make that size tire. It would only last 12000 miles. I could only buy that tire which is not right.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I would think a 300# load increase would translate into stiffer sidewalls, possibly harsher ride and better cornering grip - but thats just an educated guess...

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am like Sylvan , totally confused with your comments, and I believe he was trying to state that many Manufacturers have a special tire built for a specific make. The tire is tuned to the suspension and is often the best overall for said vehicle ( look at tires built just for Porsche or Ferrari). Many have gone back to the Michelins and my personal track experience leaves me very underwhelmed by Pirelli. I think the Michelin is the way to go, and I find your comment that Dealers are in it to sell tires, somewhat hilarious. Most Viper Dealers sell two to three cars a year, so they will not stock the tires , and though we sell a few, we often send folks to Tire Rack or Parts Rack, as they have stock and can assist the customer in a prompt and efficient manner.

Respectfully,
Bill Pemberton

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill,

I was not speaking about viper dealers but about car manufactures in general. That is what I stated above regarding my experence with my Mercury Marauder and the B F Goodrich tire that lasted only 12000 miles. My Ford dealer could not have cared less.He told me so what. Now I call that being ripped off by my dealer.There are no other tires availble for this car and having to buy tires every 12000 miles is sick. What am I do do if they decide not to make that tire anymore? They made very few Marauders. SylvanSRT reported that the original front tire was not going to be availble and all I did was let it be known what Jon at The Parts Rack told me. He just sold me a set of Pirelli tires as a alternative to the Michlin. From what you are telling me, Bill, I am now somewhat concerned about the Pirelli tires that I just bought, from the Parts Rack, but have not mounted yet. Should I be? In previous post people said the Pirelli was #1, the Michlin Non Runflat #2, and the Michlin Run Flat #3. I would love to here more from you on this. In what order would you rate these tires above and why? Thanks, Robbie

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Ratro. We should have 225's so that we have more tire choices.

On the flip side we do need some aftermarket competition for the stock diameter. That is market driven and not OEM driven. A tire manufacturer builds a tire for profit (or possibly for racing but the comp coupe uses 18"). The Viper market is fairly small and the SRT is now coming of age where replacement business will start to climb. Note there were no alternatives for the 1992 Viper for around 5 years either.

OP
OP
S

SilverViperSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Bonkers, at least you gave your opinion on the question.

Does other people know about: Is it going to change something in the handling (95Y instead of 87Y)? If yes what?

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On the flip side we do need some aftermarket competition for the stock diameter. That is market driven and not OEM driven. A tire manufacturer builds a tire for profit (or possibly for racing but the comp coupe uses 18"). The Viper market is fairly small and the SRT is now coming of age where replacement business will start to climb. Note there were no alternatives for the 1992 Viper for around 5 years either.

What is really needed is some other car makes with tire sizes near 345/30/19 ... that would create more incentive for tire manufacturers to offer more in that size ... I was disappointed to find that the Ford GT rear size was not close, and neither is the Z06 ...

... an interesting thought is that if Chevy ever builds the infamous 'blue devil' Vette, they'll need more tire to get more torque to the ground ... might result in more choices for us Viper folks

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Z06 tires were 325/30-19. An upgrade tire may be 335 or 345. Fronts are the same exact size 275/35-18

youngviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bill,

I was not speaking about viper dealers but about car manufactures in general. That is what I stated above regarding my experence with my Mercury Marauder and the B F Goodrich tire that lasted only 12000 miles. My Ford dealer could not have cared less.He told me so what. Now I call that being ripped off by my dealer.There are no other tires availble for this car and having to buy tires every 12000 miles is sick. What am I do do if they decide not to make that tire anymore? They made very few Marauders. SylvanSRT reported that the original front tire was not going to be availble and all I did was let it be known what Jon at The Parts Rack told me. He just sold me a set of Pirelli tires as a alternative to the Michlin. From what you are telling me, Bill, I am now somewhat concerned about the Pirelli tires that I just bought, from the Parts Rack, but have not mounted yet. Should I be? In previous post people said the Pirelli was #1, the Michlin Non Runflat #2, and the Michlin Run Flat #3. I would love to here more from you on this. In what order would you rate these tires above and why? Thanks, Robbie
-----------------------------------------------------------
i'd be very interested in these results as well... anyone..?

OP
OP
S

SilverViperSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very strange, I got the deal and Michelin purchase my 2 front tire because now they are listing only 95Y. The new tires had a side wall stiffer that the OE but they are 87Y as the OE???????? (can a side wall be way more soft because of 6 000 miles?)

I don't understand what they did but I had 2 new tires for the price of one and the car drive perfectly. :2tu: