mid engine viper picture

yamahahaha

Enthusiast
Reaction score
somethin i drew

an engine that i thought would be cool is the 8.0 litre v10 with a supercharger, 700hp

tell me what you think

Attachments

• viper drawin jpg.JPG
    viper drawin jpg.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 212

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This car actually existed back in '96 or '97 but the car was scrapped. I have a pic of it somewhere.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here ya go....:)

Mideng-1.jpg

mideng-2.jpg

Mideng-3.jpg

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't remember exactly why. I think I remember herb saying one time that they just decided it's not a direction they wanted to take the car.

OP
OP
Y

yamahahaha

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mines better lol!!... thanks for showing me that, i had no idea

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your drawing incorporates the gen2 and gen3..I like it

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car looks good, but I think the engine should be up front if it keeps the Viper name.

OP
OP
Y

yamahahaha

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car looks good, but I think the engine should be up front if it keeps the Viper name.

i agree but disagree. the vipers are such a sweet car and inexpensive compared to its competition (they dont compete lol) but if they made a mid engine it would also be awesome! except the car would be over the 150 thousand dollar mark i think. if they made both, the front engine model would loose its funk. i couldnt see a viper being seen as a lower model, thats one of the things that made/broke corvette, they sell more but there is too many and lots of people cant see the difference between a zo6 or zr1 compared to a z51. same with porsche, the boxer made/broke them, they made lots more money but some people see the 911 like a boxer... and if viper made the mid engine it would be a better car but if they went back to front engine it wouldnt compare,,, my opinion

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No thanks, I don't care for the look. Glad they didn't go that direction.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since the weight balance of the Viper is perfect, why screw it up and start over again?

Imagine a car with a lot of rear weight ... understeer that won't drive the car around the corner under you lift the throttle around the corner. Wouldn't be a better car, just a different car.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When we headon'd the Semi it was kinda nice sitting behind the engine when it went under the truck. With a midengine the Semi's front tire would have gone over my legs instead of the engine.

Ted

Bigsalgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the weight balance of the Viper is perfect, why screw it up and start over again?

Imagine a car with a lot of rear weight ... understeer that won't drive the car around the corner under you lift the throttle around the corner. Wouldn't be a better car, just a different car.

I'm not sure, mid-engine vehicles are acclaimed for balance in and out of turns. According to designers, front engine vehicles are at a disadvantage having weight pushing into a turn directly above the steer tires. Similar to a Porsche 911 design however in reverse order. Many say the design of a rear mounted engine, behind the rear axle, is completely flawed! Acts like a pendulum with weight swinging the rear of the car around during cornering. I too love our Viper design although a mid-engine concept would look outstanding, :2tu:!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not sure, mid-engine vehicles are acclaimed for balance in and out of turns. According to designers, front engine vehicles are at a disadvantage having weight pushing into a turn directly above the steer tires. Similar to a Porsche 911 design however in reverse order. Many say the design of a rear mounted engine, behind the rear axle, is completely flawed! Acts like a pendulum with weight swinging the rear of the car around during cornering. I too love our Viper design although a mid-engine concept would look outstanding, :2tu:!

50/50 weight balance is perfect and tires being wider at rear are to balance the cornering is my guess.

Since the ACR is the world's fastest production car on a road course I'm going to say that's proof that if the Viper went to a mid engine it would (unless the balance was exactly the same) slow down to Ford GT, Maserati M12 and Ferrari performance. I figure that since Porsche, Datsun GTR and R8 were all totally outperformed by the ZR1 the rear engine car is great for exotica, but unless the Vipers and vettes get retricted and extra weight to carry Lemans and Grand Prix would be dominated by Vipers and vettes. If the Viper is required to be the heaviest and run the smallest intake openings on the track - the reason is to slow down the fastest cars so the rear engine and slower cars can catch up.

Ted

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
50/50 weight balance is perfect and tires being wider at rear are to balance the cornering is my guess.

Since the ACR is the world's fastest production car on a road course I'm going to say that's proof that if the Viper went to a mid engine it would (unless the balance was exactly the same) slow down to Ford GT, Maserati M12 and Ferrari performance. I figure that since Porsche, Datsun GTR and R8 were all totally outperformed by the ZR1 the rear engine car is great for exotica, but unless the Vipers and vettes get retricted and extra weight to carry Lemans and Grand Prix would be dominated by Vipers and vettes. If the Viper is required to be the heaviest and run the smallest intake openings on the track - the reason is to slow down the fastest cars so the rear engine and slower cars can catch up.

Ted

Couldn't have said it better. I agree that a mid engine cars do have a more exotic appeal. Many are the highest price, most engineered cars in the world, but that doesn't always equate to better performance. I love the simplicity of these cars. It's what makes them special.

Bigsalgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Since the ACR is the world's fastest production car on a road course I'm going to say that's proof that if the Viper went to a mid engine it would (unless the balance was exactly the same) slow down to Ford GT, Maserati M12 and Ferrari performance.
Ted
I'd have to agree myself that the ACR has set the bench mark for many other brands. In all fairness though, the ACR does have some slight advantages due to it's amazing downforce numbers via front splitter and rear wing. Also, R compound tires send the ACR into another realm. This is seen easily through compairing a base Viper against the ACR. All in all, a mid-engine concept would be something to see. It would have to beat it's predecessor and that wouldn't be easy.