Millington, NJ

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need some help and am hoping somebody can help me.
I own a small business here in Madison, WI and every month we are getting charged long distance phone charges to Millington, NJ. Every night I disconnect the phone lines, fax, modem, everything.... and we STILL get charged. The phone company is investigating but I am wondering if somebody could go check this place out for me. I did a reverse phone # lookup and that produced a name and address.
If somebody could do this for me, PM me and I will give you the name and address that I have.
Thanx guys and gals!

OP
OP
I

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have called the # and I get a fax tone. So, I wrote a short note on my company letterhead asking them to give me a call and said it was urgent; nothing! I then wrote another short letter and sent it to the address that is listed with the # and again, nothing! This is driving my nuts. Hell, our telephone provider is having a hard time with this one.
If nobody can help me out, I may fly to NJ, rent a car and check it out for myself.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I once had this problem where everyday at 4am my phone would ring. I'd answer and no one was there. I'd hang up and it would ring again. Same deal, no one there. I did the *69 thing and called them. They said they didn't know what the heck I was talking about, they never called they said. Went on for almost 2 years. Fortunately it happened at a vacation home so I wasn't there all the time. I called the phone company and did the *57 thing, that's the legal trace for harassing calls. Called the State Police filed a complaint. They called the number and the person denied calling. Stopped after 2 years. My best guess at this point is the person apparently had a new alarm system installed that phoned the central office every night to verify connections. The guy must have fat fingered the telephone number on installation. Drove me crazy and the phone company was useless. So moral of the story, good luck or change your number.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your problem actually sounds like a phone company issue since you say you're getting charged for an outgoing call. As long as you've disconnected your fax, computer, and alarm system from the phone lines then nothing should be calling out. BTW do you have an alarm system that might be trying to phone home to check in every night? If so check the number that is programmed into it, maybe its wrong.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im probably 30-35 minutes away from there and if the weather works out fo me on sunday, im gonna be close to there for a cars and coffee.

pm me the info

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
dish network? direct TV? I believe they both call outbound as well?

Is it possible you're confusing a "fax" sound to a "modem" sound?

When you faxed them the inquiry... did the fax go through successful?

Is it possible another tennant in your building has:

An alarm system that is dialing in to a monitor service every night?
A laser printer/mainframe/server that might be using dial up to report status/useage?
Dish/direct TV?

Just a thought, but if the answer is "yes", then is it possible that the installer "spliced" into your phone line by mistake (assuming that most people have unlimited long distance... and "since it's just one call a night....")

The only way to isolate this beyond a shadow of a doubt would be to ask your local telephone service provider to tell you where the "demark" (sp?). It's usually a junction box either outside your building or possibly on an interior wall, and then, disconnect your circuit each night at that point (it's usually just 4 wires). Make sure the "demark" is the LAST connection prior to exiting to the phone company's pole. If you see another charge after you start doing this, either you have a VERY smart visitor every night...or it truly is a misrouted outbound call (unlikely).

Steve17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Enter the address in Google Maps and get a satellite picture to see if commercial or residential.

OP
OP
I

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, problem is now fixed with TONS of help from Phil.
When I first noticed the long distance charges on the phone bill, I called the company who handles my companies payroll. We are on a swipe-card system where my employees swipe their time cards and then the swipe-clock calls an 800 every night, that is what I was told when it was installed 1 1/2 years ago. Anyways, when I originally talked to them last April(?) about the problem I was having, she told me that the # I gave her was in no way associated with our time clock, plus it calls an 800 # anyways. So, I no longer thought of them.
Well, come to find out that IT WAS the time clock but instead of dialing an 800 #, it was dialing the # in question instead, which is a back-up # in case the 800 goes dead or doesn't work for some reason. (The # was associated with some of the info. that Phil sent to me which I in turn gave to my phone company.)
When the clock was installed, they programmed the other # as the primary and the 800 # as the secondary. It is now reversed and calls the 800 # first, so no long distance charges. I am in the process of getting all of the phone bills since we have had this service and adding up the long distance charges............., somebody is cutting my company a check for these charges that were made when they messed up the #'s!
Thanx Phil, next time I am in NJ, you have a few beers coming or if you don't drink, then some water!!!