Mobil 1

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to buy oil for GTS today. The Mobil One was sporting new names. The 15w50 was touted as the one to use for "Amateur Racing", allegedly providing more protection than the 5w30 listed as being for "newer engines". Whatcha all think, is there a benefit in going 15w50 for Track use?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Mobil 1 "SuperSyn" 15w 50 should be fine for track events. According to their Tech line chemist, the additive package is the change, not the base stock. Stepping up in viscosity level over their 10w 30 seems wise to me.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow what a HP drag this weight must create. Amsoil tech. dept says run 0w-30 weight in the viper with no problems at all. They said it wouldn't matter if you were hot rodding around all day long. They explained this to me, but it's to much to get in to here. I did ask them why they make a 20w-50 weight racing oil and they said it was for loose setups or worn high milage engines. So I said, why not just run that. There reply was that the heavy weight oil would hold much more heat than the light weight oil would, also the drag is considerable. Do as you will but just think about the fact that many cars run evan lighter weight oil than this from the factory and live long lives. That 60 or so pounds of oil pressure the car runs is what protects you're motor.Not some heavy weight oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine