modifying the front aluminum brace in the motor compartment?

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience modifying the front aluminum brace that is between the motor and the radiator that is used to brace the fender wells down to the frame?

I have the front end apart to re degree the cam and the heads off and I know it’s going to be a bxxxx to put back into place when I’m done this.

I’d like to cut it in half and then put a threaded spreader in place or maybe cut and weld some gussets with nuts onto the bracket and thread some bolts into it. To reinstall this as a 2 piece would be way easier than a 1 piece.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks
Tim

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't cut the brace! It's not hard to get out if you do this one simple step. Make sure the front end is on jack stands when you pull the brace off or put it back in. Believe it or not the weight of the car on the tires actually loads the suspension which moves the frame inboard. Unloading the front end actually causes the frame to spread just enough to get the brace in and out. The fact that this is true adds to the fact that any cutting of the brace will actually effect the rigidity of the frame.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
those OE braces are pretty lightweight as it is, any change might not be good.

when i took mine out, i was amazed at how cheesy it is

OP
OP
T

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine was up on jacks and still a pain. I thought either the Paxon or Roe cars had something different?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the gen2 basic paxton brace is like the rear hatch piston thingy's. it sits above the engine. it doesnt seem very good IMO

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Simple solution... put the car on jack stands on the inner frame rails, and/or spread the frame with a hydraulic ram. It will go in/out easy as hell.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't cut the brace! It's not hard to get out if you do this one simple step. Make sure the front end is on jack stands when you pull the brace off or put it back in. Believe it or not the weight of the car on the tires actually loads the suspension which moves the frame inboard. Unloading the front end actually causes the frame to spread just enough to get the brace in and out. The fact that this is true adds to the fact that any cutting of the brace will actually effect the rigidity of the frame.

What he said, works good. A bit tight but doable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960