Mopar 3.55 gears discontinued...

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I tried to order a 3.55 gear set from Dodge today and was told they have been discontinued. The only option left from Mopar is 3.73. I fear this gear will be too short.

Has anybody gone this route? If so, how were the results? I know I could get aftermarket 3.55s, but then my warrantee goes bye, bye. Damn... what to do???

Sleepersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last fall I tried to order the 3.55's from my dealer and they said they were no longer available. I have had the 3.73's for about 5 months now. The car is very live and you will have to shift a fair amount. However, it is very little different from the shift pattern in the 2002 M3 I had so it really hasn't been a big change. I have been very pleased, though I have had serious traction problems all the way through 3rd gear in the cold weather. I am hoping that improves this summer.

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last fall I tried to order the 3.55's from my dealer and they said they were no longer available. I have had the 3.73's for about 5 months now. The car is very live and you will have to shift a fair amount. However, it is very little different from the shift pattern in the 2002 M3 I had so it really hasn't been a big change. I have been very pleased, though I have had serious traction problems all the way through 3rd gear in the cold weather. I am hoping that improves this summer.

Thanks for the feedback. I also had a 2002 M3. Just gave it back in November at the end of the lease. It was a great car, but not sure I would want my Viper to have gearing that short. It was ok on the M3 because it didn't have a lot of torque and you could wind the engine up to 8000 rpm. In fact, it didn't really start to pull hard till 5000 rpm. I would think that 3.73 gears in a Viper would take it too far out of it's sweet spot. Any one else have feedback on this?

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i most definitely would not put a 3.73 gear on a viper. Even when stock, the gearing is too close, causing you too shift way too much. Personally I like the 3.07s (stock)..however, since the release of the 3.33, if you are stock, this may be the way to go. If you ever choose on doing a paxton in the future...I would definitely keep the stock gearing on the car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21