More GM Problems, Hummer For Sale

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, in light of declining sales and high fuel prices, this comes as no surprise!

GM to put French factory, Hummer brand up for sale
Wednesday September 24, 4:38 pm ET
By Tom Krisher, AP Auto Writer
GM treasurer says company will put Strasbourg, France, factory and Hummer​
brand up for sale

DETROIT (AP) -- General Motors Corp.'s treasurer said Wednesday that the automaker is planning to put its Strasbourg, France, manufacturing operation and its Hummer truck brand up for sale, and it may announce more asset sales later this year.​

Just another indication of the poor timing for GM to introduce the ZR1 Corvette for $100k+.:flush:

Peter

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Think they should have sold the Vette off instead Dave?

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My daughter had an H2 Hummer. Said she like it, but it got 9mpg on the highway and less in town. Sold in in less than 5 months. She bought a Mustang GT instead.

Ted

BigJag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My daughter had an H2 Hummer. Said she like it, but it got 9mpg on the highway and less in town.
Ted

She probably drove it like a woman, always on the gas or the brake. I been driving an H2 as my daily driver since 2002. My current one has 38k miles on it and the average mpg (highway and city) is 12.1 (haven't reset since new). No different than any other large SUV and from what I can tell so far, better than the Viper's fuel economy. By far the best daily driver I've ever owned.

GM's selling Hummer, Dodge is selling Viper, that leaves GM to sell Corvette and I hit the trifecta.:bs2:

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ford 1 ton crew cab (diesel and gas), Ford Explorer (Eddie Baer ed.), Dodge Pickup, Mustang GT, Nitro, Porsche 911 she said the Hummer was the worst mileage she'd ever gotten.

My 91 F150 5L and wife's Escape got way better mileage than 12.

GMs Silverado supposedly got award for best gas mileage. Hummer gets bad mileage and is gutless. Who wants to buy one?

TED

BigJag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ford 1 ton crew cab (diesel and gas), Ford Explorer (Eddie Baer ed.), Dodge Pickup, Mustang GT, Nitro, Porsche 911 she said the Hummer was the worst mileage she'd ever gotten.

GMs Silverado supposedly got award for best gas mileage. Hummer gets bad mileage and is gutless. Who wants to buy one?

TED

Whatever. Not going down this road.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

TED

You speak what most consumers understand about cars and the economy - fuel mileage. But as you can tell, at every opportunity I spread the word on another economy front... Why pay $50K for a 1/2 ton pickup and $30K for a minitruck? Yup, the are you getting the heavy duty you think you're getting economy.

Brought to you by Dave, Ford F350 4x4 Super Duty owner, for $15K less than the H2. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ford trucks have always sucked on mileage and I have owned many. Yes early 90s some were okay mileage but since Ford went to modular engines, they **** gas and big time. It is a disgrace. Moving on from the push rod motors was the worse decision I have ever seen Ford do and I was blue blooded for the first 30 years of my life and still a little blue blooded at times.

Now, I would buy a used H1, but the H2, H3 and truck variants are more for show in my opinion. I think they are okay vehicles but not an H1.

Soon as the panic is over the economy and this election worked out, people will feel good about life again. Hummers are not the problem here. They are big and safe.

I don't care what people think, but here in the Rockies when a number of those stupid Smart cars and other small vehicles peter out in 3" of snow trying to club up to the Eishenhaur Tunnel with ski racks on, then everyone will understand what a hazard some of these vehicles are. I don't care what crash test (Joke) ratings they get, put them up against a F-350 at an intersection and the owner of the F-350 just has to hit the windsheild wiper to remove the problem.

People with big families still need big vehicles. This is not small families like in other civilized parts of the world.

Hydrogen vehicles are still the only true solution. Until then, these are all fads. Hummers have their place and vehicles like that have their place. They should still be produced, just maybe not in some of the numbers they were at the top of the craze.

I blame government for everything. :) Someone will buy them for a song and make a true Hummer again.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree. The original Hummer (before GM bought it)was designed for Desert Warfare and it should be available ... just in case we need to go warfaring in the Desert! I'd prefer the engine go from the junker old Chev Diesel to a Mercedes Diesel like what gets used in their Diesel pu.

The 'gimperment' is at fault for everything. The auto co. do have some responsibilities like the Cats, etc.

Ted

Bosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hydrogen vehicles are still the only true solution. Until then, these are all fads. Hummers have their place and vehicles like that have their place. They should still be produced, just maybe not in some of the numbers they were at the top of the craze.

Nah, Hydrogen still has too many problems associated with it. It's too expensive to extract the Hydrogen, compress it, store it, and transport it. Furthermore, the engines that run it are still obscenely expensive to build. And there are currently a handful of refueling stations in America, all located in southern California. So it's not cheap, it's not easy, and it's not readily available.

The future is electric. How far can you go without seeing a power outlet? Even the poorest of the poor in America have access to electricity. Plug-in electric cars with gasoline or diesel engines that run a power generator to recharge a battery is where all cars will head. Electricity is cheaper than gasoline, the battery technology is currently available, and people could still take long-distance trips thanks to the gas/diesel secondary engine. It requires no more components than a Toyota Prius, except the battery has to have a larger capacity. Therefore, price should be similar, at $20,000. This is exactly what GM has done with the Chevy Volt, except they have decided to price it between 30-40K for no apparent reason. (My personal view is that oil companies have much influence over Detroit, and this is why this technology has not entered the mainstream at a competitive price yet.)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Electricity is cheap? Anything with taxes is NOT Cheap. Electricity is taxed and Canadian elec. is taxed on each bill as well as all the overtaxed fuel used in the diesel generators that turn the generators to produce electricity.

Where I live the road maintenance is a joke and NO ONE WILL DRIVE A 2WD ON OUR HIGHWAY THROUGH 12" OF SNOW AND THERE IS A 3" LAYER OF ICE FOR 6 MONTHS OF THE YEAR. Here in BC we drive at 5600' and it takes a lot of hills to get that high, then down, then up. "little cars are a joke" ans should be banned from highways as we mostly have only 2 lanes. No "get outta my way lanes" here.

Propane used to be awesome as it doesn't create Carbon when it burns, but after it started to become popular the governments taxed it and now it's hard to find an automotive Propane filling station. It's not any cheaper (except maintenance) to run propane now that it's taxed like gas.

Anything you need for life (like GAS, heat, etc.) will be overtaxed by our governments and very expensive.

Here in BC we have very few people for the amount of area we have. Pollution is not an issue here. Most cities have populations larger than our entire province. Since there's Europeans saying that they're killing our enviroment, the BC government has decided to tax the whooping 4 million people that live here into the poor house and say, "It's to fight Global Warming." We don't have enough people to cause ANY significant pollution anyway. That is enough to make all the politicians rich though?

New Income Tax form;
1. How much money did you make?
2. Send it to us.

Ted

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32