MORE SRT-10 FILTER DYNO RESULTS

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SCLSSRT10,

I showed up at 5 pm w/the owner of a 2001 BumbleBee GTS. We met Charlie and learned that we missed everyone by an hour! I thought everyone would be there til 5! We viewed his shop and saw the two race prepped Mustangs that he owns. To make amends we wound up heading over to a Krispy Kreme down the street! The IL. VCA Chapter has some impressive cars!

Jay K.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No pics right now, as I have to get on a plane in a few hours. I promise to post graphs when I get back. In a nutshell:

The Green Filters, as I suspected before, don't fit. They look IDENTICAL to the factory filters in size, yet it is almost impossible to get the airbox cover on with those filters on. Why? The factory filters have a lot of "give", especially in the orange rubber material at the ends. These Green filters have a MUCH harder black rubber/plastic end that does not allow it to "wedge" into place like the factory filters. Nonetheless, Frank tried them out with his airbox barely closed. He was not particularly happy with any of his numbers, but here is how they played out:

Stock filters: 427.4 rwhp and 469.0 rwtq
Green filters: 435.8 rwhp and 475.5 rwtq
K&N tube and filters: 442.2 rwhp and 478.1 rwtq

We think part of the problem with his car is that Frank tends to "cruise" it more than some of us (not as much WOT), and thus his computer has adjusted accordingly. We did not do any power disconnects before or after any dyno runs. Next up was Mike with his black SRT-10. No reason to bother with the Greens, as we already knew they wouldn't fit properly. His results:

Stock filters: 435.5 rwhp and 474.1 rwtq
K&N tube & filters: 451.8 rwhp and 489.6 rwtq

Next up was Allen's red SRT-10:

Stock filters: 436.6 rwhp and 473.7 rwtq
K&N tube & filters: 452.9 rwhp and 493.0 rwtq

Bottom line? The Green filters are probably good for a decent gain (~10 HP), but the fit isn't quite right. They are definitely a better price and would fit fine if you don't mind possibly having to grind down part of your airbox ribs. The K&N system just seems to be a MUCH better fit and also delivers the power to make it all worthwhile. Also, seeing that "K&N" logo when you open the hood at least tells folks you aren't satisfied with a stock car. I will try to post graphs when I return, but hopefully this should give you some more stuff to discuss!

Once again, our thanks to JonB at PartsRack for the very generous loan of these various filters for dyno testing. At least three more K&N orders will be ringing in from Kansas City!

Chris

PS. My crappy ol' SRT put down 461.7 rwhp and 502.4 rwtq with the K&N's yesterday - no stock filter runs for me! :2tu:

So it seems from the stock runs that the gen 3's have a correction factor of 17% on that dyno.

Stock 427 hp x 1.17 = 499 hp
Stock 436 hp x 1.17 = 510 hp

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys seem to know each other's cars. What year car was tested? Has anyone done this test on an 08?

Please explain smooth tubes? Is the K and N the one with a Y shape on the Parts Rack site.

Don't flame me, I'm new to the viper world.

Thanks.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The term "smooth tubes" is really used for gen 1 and 2 vipers. The k&n system has "smooth tubes" built into its system with the filters. I have it on my 05 viper. Dyno results have shown 16 rwhp. The 08 viper does not have a whole k&n system out yet with tubes and filters, however some people have shown that the filters from the mazda rx7 or rx8 or something will fit the 08 viper but some people are wary of putting a filter not made for the viper and made for a much smaller engine on their viper.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So it seems from the stock runs that the gen 3's have a correction factor of 17% on that dyno.

Stock 427 hp x 1.17 = 499 hp

Actually it has to be more like a 19% dyno correction factor, I forgot that stock they're 510 hp not 500 so 427x 1.19 = 508 and I remember seeing that the factory said something about when somebody complained their 08 had low hp ratings that when you figure in their 20% dyno correction factor it works out to the correct amount?

So what do you guys think is the correct dyno factor? I'm going to dyno mine soon but already have corsa and k&n. Both of those have seperatly shown gains of 19rwhp and 16rwhp from other peoples dynos.

imagine32000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where can I purchase a set of these K&N filters/tubes for an 06? Searched partsrack.com site & couldn't find anything.

*Edit* - I'll just give JonB a call tomorrow.

- Matt

Last edited:

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Please don't forget about the S&B filters we've been carrying since 2000.
The pleats are much deeper than the K&N resulting in more filter surface area.

High Flow Air Filters - 03-06 Viper SRT-10 - Air & Fuel Delivery - Roe Racing

You must be registered for see images

We also have had made the smooth intake tubes to replace the factory corrugated ones so we could get more air (just like the gains we get on the Gen1 Gen2 replacement hoses):
Silicone Tube Intake kit - 03-06 Viper SRT-10 - Air & Fuel Delivery - Roe Racing

Finally, if you prefer, we also carry the K&N:

K&N Air Charger Intake Kit - 03-06 Viper SRT-10 - Air & Fuel Delivery - Roe Racing

http://roeracing.com/ProductCart/pc/catalog/rr-ihkg3_1263_detail.jpg

Me personally, I'd use the high flow air filters and smooth tube set, saving the extra money the K&N cost for another mod :)

Regards,
Sean

V

Venomiss

Please don't forget about the S&B filters we've been carrying since 2000.
The pleats are much deeper than the K&N resulting in more filter surface area.

High Flow Air Filters - 03-06 Viper SRT-10 - Air & Fuel Delivery - Roe Racing

We also have had made the smooth intake tubes to replace the factory corrugated ones so we could get more air (just like the gains we get on the Gen1 Gen2 replacement hoses):
Silicone Tube Intake kit - 03-06 Viper SRT-10 - Air & Fuel Delivery - Roe Racing

Finally, if you prefer, we also carry the K&N:

K&N Air Charger Intake Kit - 03-06 Viper SRT-10 - Air & Fuel Delivery - Roe Racing

Me personally, I'd use the high flow air filters and smooth tube set, saving the extra money the K&N cost for another mod :)

Regards,
Sean

Thanks Sean that's good to know! Someone will take you up on these.

Reaction score
I would like to finally add my thoughts to this thread FWIW.

Realize that the 10-15hp gain although seems great is only a 2-3% gain. The 10-15hp would be great on a Honda if it could but really is not that impressive on a 500hp plus Viper. Not that every little bit doesn't help, I just want to put this in perspective. Plus on ANY dyno there is a 1-2% variance per run available so the real gains may vary even more, Just food for thought that's it.

This is not meant to deter sales of these items I just feel I have to let my customers know the reality before they choose. I DO NOT MEAN THIS IN A NEGATIVE WAY AT ALL! just providing a perspective that I have so please don't flame me for sharing. :bonker::curse::ban::poke::buttkick::slap::chair::pile::spank::bolt::hit::owned:

Man I love these things....

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mjorgensen - thank you for the insightful view on these mods. Aside from the filters, what other bang for the buck mod would you recommend on an 08+? I like the Belanger system kit but little too expensive for now. I presume the cat-backs are good for mostly sound only. THank you

Reaction score
mjorgensen - thank you for the insightful view on these mods. Aside from the filters, what other bang for the buck mod would you recommend on an 08+? I like the Belanger system kit but little too expensive for now. I presume the cat-backs are good for mostly sound only. Thank you

Yes, currently anyway, the Belangers are the only real "proven" reliable power adder for the 08' Vipers but with a solid 70+ hp gain the bang for buck is phenomenal!

If you consider what it took to get 70-90 N/A HP out of the gen3 cars ($10-15K?) I see the Belangers as almost under priced?:omg:. There will undoubtedly be other options down the line but I would be willing to bet almost any amount that they will be VERY expensive compared to the gains/$$$ ratio the Belangers produce. Plus as you have undoubtedly seen the engineers will tell you this is about the limit without totally redoing things internally = lots of $$$.

My advice if you want power is buy the Belangers and enjoy a N/A car with more scoot than a forced induction car in "most" usable areas with reliability to boot!

If you still want more, find ways to actually increase your cars PERFORMANCE by adding Motons, MGW shifter and a Quaife. All money well spent if you plan on keeping the car and using it.

But in the end this is just one mans opinion remember.