Moton Suspension Advice

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moton Club Sports will be installed soon on my 2006 Coupe. The spring rate is front 500 and Rear 800.

Those of you using motons-could you share with me the compression and rebound settings your using.

I will not be road racing the Viper. Maybe once or twice a year I will take it to drag strip. So mainly for street use ,and the roads are very good in our area.

I would also like to hear from those who have slammed their Vipers with the motons and the compression and rebound settings used.

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for asking.This is info I also wanted to know, esp. about lowering with Motons and Heavy track use. Say 2-3 times per month.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Call us and ask for Mark Jorgensen.

We have done a ton of these, and have found many want to cut corners on alignment and settings when installing --- don't! Mark can give you a good idea on what you want.

Sincerely,
Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse
1-800-889-1893 ( Mark is at this number )

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grunt

It was suggested to me these settings with club sports-but this was with about 1" lowering

-rebound front & rear-#3
-compression in rear-#4
-compression in front-3

I know of one other slammed viper that has #5 for both rebound & compression for front and back and he says it rides great.

Only thread I found was -slammed viper-by 1dumpedviper found on page 29 or possibly 30 now-does have some good pics.

My Viper is slammed now with performance springs but I need to be able to make adjustments. I do have to be careful with certian road and drive way conditions - if not careful I can scrape the rear diffusers and other areas. This is the price one pays for lowering. But oh how I love it lowered. Uhhh-may I say slammed. :)

Thanks Bill for info.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the difference in ride compared to stock? I am leaning toward purchasing the suspension now.

Does anyone in Brooklyn or Long Island have the Moton setup that would have sometime to get together to get an idea of the ride quality and handling chareacteristics?

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just talked with another 2006 owner with motons. His viper is really slammed and he uses settings-Strongest for back and mid for front. He said the Viper rides great for the street. No rubbing issues, and no bouncy ride. He also has paxton sc.

He said it is some ride that the motons gives to the viper and that they were worth every dollar paid.

What is so great is the ability to make adjustments. This is what I want.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As another poster said, Mike Jorgensen is the guru of the Moton/Eibach suspension. With respect to "slamming" your Viper, keep in mind that lowering it that much will make it impossible to put it on a lift or get a regular jack under it for tire changes or repair and/or maintainence. Also, get it corner balanced. It is worth the money. Also, I believe that you will find that initial settings are used until the springs break in, etc. Mike can fill you in on this. My impression after 4900 miles is: handles better, sticks better, and, of course, adjustable if you choose to do so.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10140mini-CIMG0067.JPG

3" at the bottom of the front jack point and 3.5" at the bottom of the rear jack point....

look in my gallery for a bunch more pics of my car and other slammed vipers GALLERY

Look at my past posts, I've posted a lot of information about my experiances with the Motons.

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For sharing of ride heights, let's all agree to use ILLSMOQ's method of measuring from the floor to the jack points. That will give us all a static spot to use. I'll measure mine and post with pics as soon as I get her nice and clean ;)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hiss,

Opinions will vary on the settings. There are many variables like road quality, rim off set, tire sizes, ride height, wheel alignment, how much you actually drive the car, how you drive the car, what your performance expectations are, etc.

If you really "dump" your Viper, it will be hard to drive it much, handling will be mediocre, you're tires will rub, you will likely create bump steer and excessive tire wear to name a few issues that you can create.

Most of our local suspension guru's advise not to lower your car any more than 3/4 of an inch if you track it. You can obviously run it lower if you don't track it and if you're careful.

I run 500 / 800 lb springs as you do. I run the 2/3 compression / rebound on my SRT on the street - as recommended by Moton and 3/4 on most tracks. If the track is smooth, I may add another click. You can also vary the nitrogen pressure in the cannisters and this will affect ride quality, firness and handling.

Definitely get the car corner weighted, aligned, have the ride height adjusted and have the car "bump steered" after the shock / spring installation. Keep in mind that the springs will settle a bit and advise your installer or alignement shop that you will be back as these settings will change.

Motons Club Sports are a very good product that you should love. The ride / features and benefits of the Motons are much better than stock in every way.

Dan

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hiss,

Opinions will vary on the settings. There are many variables like road quality, rim off set, tire sizes, ride height, wheel alignment, how much you actually drive the car, how you drive the car, what your performance expectations are, etc.

If you really "dump" your Viper, it will be hard to drive it much, handling will be mediocre, you're tires will rub, you will likely create bump steer and excessive tire wear to name a few issues that you can create.

Most of our local suspension guru's advise not to lower your car any more than 3/4 of an inch if you track it. You can obviously run it lower if you don't track it and if you're careful.

I run 500 / 800 lb springs as you do. I run the 2/3 compression / rebound on my SRT on the street - as recommended by Moton and 3/4 on most tracks. If the track is smooth, I may add another click. You can also vary the nitrogen pressure in the cannisters and this will affect ride quality, firness and handling.

Definitely get the car corner weighted, aligned, have the ride height adjusted and have the car "bump steered" after the shock / spring installation. Keep in mind that the springs will settle a bit and advise your installer or alignement shop that you will be back as these settings will change.

Motons Club Sports are a very good product that you should love. The ride / features and benefits of the Motons are much better than stock in every way.

Dan

I have mine slammed and the ride is good. Like Dan said it's far from optimal but I dont track mine and it doesnt rub. I also have 500/800 lb springs. As far as I can remember, I am on 3 in front and four in back. Woodhouse delivered the car to me perfect. Shocks set, cornerweighted, aligned etc. I went and screwed up those settings by lowering it myself more. Although I've always had a way of screwing up stock vehicles. The motons are WELL worth the money to me. :2tu:

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind guys that if you lower your viper to much then you will have problems with speed bumps and other road transitions where the road dips like at the crossroads here in New England where they build up the main road so you go down and then up when you cross it. this causes the front of the viper to bottom out.

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind guys that if you lower your viper to much then you will have problems with speed bumps and other road transitions where the road dips like at the crossroads here in New England where they build up the main road so you go down and then up when you cross it. this causes the front of the viper to bottom out.

Not a problem where I live.I guess I'm lucky! :D

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the good info.

Ulllose-My installer had some performance lowering springs - I had them put on for a trial basis. No rubbing issues at all but the ride was bouncy because the springs were stiff. As long as roads were good not much of a bouncy ride but on a semi bad road conditions it was very bouncy ride. I needed to make adjustments but of course I could not. So I got the motons. The car was low. The front jack points were under 3" so I had to be careful. The Viper will be raised some with the motons.

Viper X very good info. Your right on in the info. No one in this area can corner balance. In louisville about 80 miles away their is a very good alignment and speed balancing shop, but they cannot corner weight. They will be doing the alignment after moton installation.

Adam(AB)in Louisville has my Viper now and will do the moton installation. I hope he will put on how to install pics. Havent decide yet what settings we will have-of course this will depend on how low we go. We will probably go 3/4 or 4/4. One good thing I can go to different settings and heights. The Viper is in good hands.

I would like to know exactly how, after installation, to make the adjustments on the motons.

Ullose here is a pic of my Viper without lowering springs and with.

11160100_4862_edited-1.jpg

100_5052_edited-1.jpg

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine scrapes some speed bumps and driveways. Also the rear tires rub the fender liner when going over dips in the freeway at high speeds.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speed bumps were out of the question for my viper. If not careful it would do some scraping on the rear diffusers. Never did any rubbing.

One of my problems are the Pirelli 18 & 19" tires the rears are 355/25/19 they are at least a half inch lower than stock. So if I lower too much I encounter problems. We will probably go 1/2" or 1" higher than the car is now.

I think it looks good but it has to come up some. I would at least like to be able to get my jack under the Viper. But I am making some helper ramps out of 2 by 10's so I can get my jack under the viper and also get it onto the other ramps.

Vipers are wonderful--they are a challenge but I like that.

Here I am over 70 years old with a Viper. Ill tell you this it makes me feel 50 years younger. ;) It just kills some of those ricers when I **** around them. I make sure my windowns are down so ,if they can, see my gray hair :D

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Vipers are wonderful--they are a challenge but I like that.

Here I am over 70 years old with a Viper. Ill tell you this it makes me feel 50 years younger. ;) It just kills some of those ricers when I **** around them. I make sure my windows are down so, if they can, see my gray hair :D

Good for you Gene...the 50 years younger rush can't be all bad. :2tu:

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stay active even when it hurts. Once you stop thats it.

I know this is off topic but the other day, in a certain area one can go and run their cars, I kept my windows up an a hot looking mustang that I beat real bad followed me to auto parts place and after parking, since he could not see well through the tinted windows, he knocked on the Viper side glass-I opened the door and got out and he said "Well Ill be ---." :D :D You had to see his expression on his face. After the young whipper snapper got over it we talked cars for a long time.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ILLSMOQ

Since your still getting some rubbing have you gone to a setting like 5/5 or one other Viper owner has set his for street use at highest on the back and mid on the front and he says no rubbing and rides fine. Just wondering.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had it at 6 clicks and it still rubbed on high speed dips. When it is that low there is just not much room left. To me, it handles best at 4 clicks all the way around. I'm not that worried about the rubbing of the fender liner.

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hiss - rubbing depends on the tires/wheels - with stock setup you won't have this problem even if lowered all the way. I didn't. ILLSMOQ has 19/20 with pirellis - these stick out a little bit more then stock and that causes rubbing.

As for the tunning - it depends very much on the average terrain you have around. Nice and even streets - 5/5. Track - 6/6. Less_then_perfect roads and/or no curves - you might settle for 4/4. But with windy roads anything less then 5 is just a waste.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really appreciate the good info.

The roads around here are good-of course like any other location I could get on some bad roads but I avoid them.

I want to cut down the bouncy ride that I am getting-just the least little dip or road imperfection and bounce bounce. I am thinking about 5/5 but I do want to get away from the bounce. Madman how about the 5/5 does one get a bouncy ride on less than good roads.

I think I will be ok with present tires but if I get to low ,or where the Viper is now, then that throws the front jack points under 3" and rear under 3 1/2".

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With Motons even 6/6 won't get bouncy. Firm - yes. Bouncy - not at all. As for lowering - don't get yourself dragged by numbers. Lower as much as you would be comfortable knowing speed bumps etc. around. THEN don't forget to have alignment done. Enjoy!

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Madman

Nader-the rear adjustment

compression-adjust on cannister in trunk area-very easy

rebound-I think their is a tool included for adjustment on the shock-but was told the rear needs to be jacked??

Possibly others who have made adjustments could give more info

Here are few pics of moton club sports

moton.jpg

Dodge_2_groot.jpg

Dodge_3_groot.jpg

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hiss,

In your kit you should find a small orange handled tool. Looks kinda' like a small screw driver but the tip is round. This is inserted into small brass colored holes in the top of the shock tower just above the collar but below the eye bolt. Turn clockwise to soften, you'll feel the clicks, counter clock wise to stiffer rebound.

Very easy to do, but you will likely need a jack to raise the car up until the tires are almost off of the ground. Check your instruction sheet as it has photos and instructions for making adjustments.

Dan

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960