Motor mounts.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did my motor and trans mounts last night, the way I did it was a little different, the bracket that is bolted to the motor looked like a pain in the butt to remove so I used a 3/4 inch box wrench and removed the top bolt on the mount that bolts to the bracket, yes it is tight but I was going to either get it loose or snap it off which ever came first, well they came loose:)I removed the lower bolt, jacked up the motor and it came right out. Now for the fun part, the new poly mounts are thicker and the mounting studs on it are longer than stock, so there was no way they would slide in, I had the motor lifted as far as it would go, any more the car was lifting off the jack stands:omg: So I cut down the studs on the mounts, there is no need to have 3/4" of stud hanging off the end of the nut.They slid right in, the trans mount is very easy nothing to say there. So thats a condensed summery of how I did them, and the old ones, well they looked still pretty good;) any way a known weak link is changed. If I knew how good my old ones were would I have changed them NO WAY:usa:

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did my motor and trans mounts last night, the way I did it was a little different, the bracket that is bolted to the motor looked like a pain in the butt to remove so I used a 3/4 inch box wrench and removed the top bolt on the mount that bolts to the bracket, yes it is tight but I was going to either get it loose or snap it off which ever came first, well they came loose:)I removed the lower bolt, jacked up the motor and it came right out. Now for the fun part, the new poly mounts are thicker and the mounting studs on it are longer than stock, so there was no way they would slide in, I had the motor lifted as far as it would go, any more the car was lifting off the jack stands:omg: So I cut down the studs on the mounts, there is no need to have 3/4" of stud hanging off the end of the nut.They slid right in, the trans mount is very easy nothing to say there. So thats a condensed summery of how I did them, and the old ones, well they looked still pretty good;) any way a known weak link is changed. If I knew how good my old ones were would I have changed them NO WAY:usa:

You found that easier than removing the 2 bolts from the engine bracket? I removed the bracket from the block and didnt have to cut the motor mount bolts at all. Either way, whatever works..

OP
OP
S

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dajersey, for me on my car the bolts on the bracket were put in before the headers, I could not slide them out, they would only back out half way. I did not want to remove the headers. Yes if the bolts were put in the other way it would be cake, but that would be to easy. Removing the brackets would give you way more room to work.

Jeff it only took me 3 weeks 6 hours a day.:D It would have taken that long if my wife was not there, she was a big help, I could stay under the car while she worked the floor jack, lifting the motor up and down, while I monkeyed around with the mounts. The whole Job took maybe 3 hours, that includes getting all the right size tools and planing my attack.:usa:

OP
OP
S

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was it worth it, yea I guess so, they are much better than the stock ones, they will last for the life of my car, the way I use it.