Motor Trend High speed shootout 2003-SRT10 represents

OP
OP
S

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What i dont understand is how the Viper beats the Lambo to 100mph, but loses in the quarter, but is traveling at higher rate of speed? I think the Lambo driver needed some practice with the shifter. Nevertheless, both the Lambo and SRT Viper go on as the performance cars to beat, trouncing Ferrari yet again.

ET is a funtion of traction not power...So the awd gives it a better launch...Notice it beats the Viper to 60mph 3.6 to the Vipers 3.9 to give you an indication....So Thats why it beats it to the quarter et-wise....On the top end the Lambo much better aero takes over and finally pulls the SRT10.....I think the Gallardo will be a better match for the SRT10 around a track with its lighter weight and 500hp......I still cant this car is a convertable and is this nasty...DC has done it again....

BTW Allan I downloaded a british video from Kazaa where I think it was Nigel Mansell of F1 fame drove both a Murcialago and a Pagani Zonda around a track...It was ugly for the Lambo....The Pagani was 6 seconds faster around the track than the lambo.....Granted the track had lots of straightaways so it favored the more powerful Zonda....They say the Zonda would show the tail lights to a Mclaren F1 or the Enzo :eek:

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know of many cars that will show tail lights to a McLaren F1, i dont believe even the Enzo will do that. From the tests ive seen the Enzo is Not quicker or faster. Although it does list for less money, than even a used F1.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When i see these reports i just laugh at the Ferrari boys, who are constantly thinking that since Michael Schumacker wins F1, their cars are the end all of performance.

The Murcielago unfortunately continues with Lambo tradition of slow gearchanges. When i was at the factory last April, i did see video of factory test drivers clicking off 11.40's @ 124 mph in them though.

I saw that video, Jeremy Clarkson races the Pagani in the Murci also. He babied the Murci off the line, while the other guy smoked him in the Pagani. Very bad launch, straightline would be alot closer, but on a roadcourse the Pagani is much faster.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the video Allanlambo! If either the SRT10 or Lambo ran slicks and got the power down - a 124mph trap speed is good for a very solid high TEN SECOND RUN!! That's the real potential of both cars - and gives us an idea of what they realy pull like once they can hook! Awesome!

A 2003 Zonda vs a 1993 F1 road car? Maybe... on the turns and under brakes - took 10 years - not a bad achievement by Maclaren (company started by kiwi Bruce Maclaren) :)

Now Mercedes is powering Maclaren F1 race cars - could we see a potential DC powered Maclaren supercar to beat the Bugatti Veyron like they spanked the earlier Bugatti into obscurity?

OP
OP
S

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw that video, Jeremy Clarkson races the Pagani in the Murci also. He babied the Murci off the line, while the other guy smoked him in the Pagani. Very bad launch, straightline would be alot closer, but on a roadcourse the Pagani is much faster.

Actually Allan Jeremy Clarkson only did the prelim driving...It was a man in a Airforce like helmet that did the hot laps in both cars one after another....It was hinted by Clarkson that it was Nigel Mansell....They never showed his face.......Jeremy also said that while he did his laps that the Lambo felt faster in the turns than the Zonda but the Zonda just obliterated it on the straights....

I agree with you on how Clarkson babied the Lambo off the line..We all know that you launch an awd car with alot more gusto than he did....Unless he was trying to say the Lambo awd system cant take the stress.....I dont think even a good launch by the Lambo would have made a difference in the outcome...That Zonda was gone....

I would like to re-eterate[?] that all the other cars in the MT test were on rolling stock while the "ringer" MT900 was on cheater slicks...You tell me if this test was fair...Its bad enough that it aint streetlegal, is an all out race car, weights nothing and on top of that its shod with cheater slicks and then declared tha all conquering winner...Well DUH...

Oh and two different GTS's set the old record 1st and 2nd best slalom time for a production car ever at 73.6 and backing it up a year later with a 72.5...But in this test they intimated that it was "a particularly well sorted out Viper" had to old record....Nevertheless in two different Vipers a year apart set that record ON FREAKIN STREET TIRES...end of rant

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lambo,

Do you owe most of those guys money or something? They really hate you over there. Time to find a new hangout! :)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allan, Could you post a higher resolution copy of the MT pages.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont have higher res pics. Those guys are a bunch of blowhards in Ferrari 308's thinking they have the greatest cars in the world, because Michael Schumacker wins F1. Well, i have news for them, i have and have had several Ferrari's, and from a performance aspect, theyre mediocre at best! Theyre are always quick to point out the F40-F50 and Enzo. For the price, they should be awesome.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allan - had a quick look at the F-forum - you are such a stirrer! :D

No one was bright enough to work out that your title scan was a humurous attempt to make the other guy put up or shut up. :laugh:

That's why they think their cars are fastest ;)

BTW - went into the Lambo dealership on the weekend - there was a Murcielago and 3 Diablos. Beautiful cars - you had to be there for a while to notice that parked alongside there were some lessor looking cars - like 3 new Aston Martins, a black 360, a black 575, and a black GT2... all fabulous cars in their own right - just not noticed alongside the Lambo's.... :D

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picked up the mag last night.

The Murcialago kicked some serious butt and is a great looking car. Congrats to the Lambo team, looks like they have a winner.

The MT900 was a ringer on cheater slicks and is their racing version which isn't even available yet, running equipment you would never run on the street like straight cut gears. Not sure why it was even allowed into the contest, though it did turn in some impressive performances.

The SRT10 did us proud plus some. Arguably the most balanced performance of the entire group. Seriously whooped the Z06 in every category except parking lot racing (tied) and they can't even fall back on the 'but it has lousy brakes' line. 11.7's to 12.5's at the same track on the same day is not even in the same ballpark.

Surprised at how mediocre the Mustang did. Thought it would be a little more of a contender than it turned out to be.

-- Ken

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the test results.

You must be registered for see images

Their Viper GTS tested in '98 did the standing mile in 30.1 @ 173.3 mph.

It's interesting to note that one of the largest gap in lap times is between the SRT-10 and the Murcielago. But good god, look at that Mitsubishi Evo!

Good write ups to go along with the article, I recommend you guys buy the mag. Also has a good test between the SRT-4, SVT Focus, and Mazdaspeed Protoge, along with a test of the upcoming WRX STi.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were mentioned in the article and each had a reason why the OEM was unable to provide one. Too bad as I would have liked to see the GT-2 or GT-3 included. Series 2 as well.

Guyver1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting enough, the Corvette C5R goes 60-0 in 96ft...

And it weighs around 2800lbs test weight.

Holeee crap. Way to go PVO.

Is anyone else curious about how a Comp Coupe would've faired in the test? *evil grin*

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the heck a was a Mosler with straight cut gears and cheat tires doing in that line up? Do the mags hate Dodge?

Of the true road cars - a great test - and the SRT10 showed it's true worth as a genuine supercar that can beat Ferrari and AMG, and foot it with Lambo - beating it around a track!

No surprise for the EVO - every RICE boy racer and his dream has an Evo or WRX over here... or a turbo Skyline... they're cheap and a few mods makes them a V8 ****** anywhere, plus their AWD and short wheelbase will embarrass any exotic in a tight (carpark) circuit. If you drive on dirt or gravel at times or on rough roads - forget the SUV and try one of those babies - you'll redefine what you thought a car could do. They may be RICE but there isn't anything else you can buy to match them in their territory.... unless you buy a works rally AWD car.

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The advantage that the SRt has over the GEN II cars is that it has incrdible brkes and that it has another 40 HP over the ACR. They finally got around to a decent braking system. Can someone tell me if a 2002 ACR can have the same brakes as the SRT installed in it.

Regards

luv2race2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No real comparison to the Mosler. 1900 lbs and a price tag of $209K!!! I would take the Viper any day. Hell for the savings I would make it my commuter car!!

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they were going to use a ringer like the Mosler (with slicks) they should have used either the Comp Coupe or the SRT with slicks. THAT would have been the comparison to examine. By me, the SRT did great in the test. It was always in the top 3 and cost 33% of either of the other two cars. Buy an SRT, stick the leftover $150,000 in the bank and cruise. If you were to buy cars that are THREE TIMES as expensive as the Mosler or Lambo, there would be no comparison to the Mosler or Lambo. By me...we kicked a_ _.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree 100% Russ! The Viper was by far the best bang for buck.

The $209k US for the Mosler would buy a Group A racing 5 litre sedan over here that would spank the Mosler silly even on 10" slicks - those babies hang well over 2g all day with lap times that defy only having a mere 630hp and 3000lb weight minimum... remember the Audi V8's racing saloons that came over from Europe and dominated everything a few years back? Basically the same performance in different cars (only better now as time moves on).... hell $209k would probably buy last years racing Audi V8 or a racing BMW M3 5 litre V8... the Mosler could only watch them go and weep....

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure I care for the bang for the buck comparisons. That is what the Corvette and Mustang communities talk about. IN this case I do not believe the Mosler is a street capable spports car. They may get it certified (eventually) but that will not make it streetable in the strictest sense. Straight cut gears howling, slicks, interiors witout basic appointments. That does not sound like a car that I would cruise around in. Maybe an occasional drive, similar to a Cobra. But not any extensive driving.

Maybe it is all degrees. The Viper is very streetable in my mind. But less so than a Corvette, which is less so than a MB. In this case the MOsler appears to be quite a bit less streetable than the Viper. That may suit some but I think it is too racelike for me. At least on the street.

trumper Z06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:laugh: Justin Bell's school used Vipers for the first couple of years before Chevy became the supplier! Knowing Justin, I think he would be "fair" to all!

;) He sure as HELL can drive a road course!

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never meant to go for the "bang for the buck" argument. My real point was that the Mosler is a flat out race car, which costs big bucks, and the Lambo is a hyper expensive exotic (which we still beat in MOST areas). Also, even if I WAS espousing the "bang for the buck" argument, there is a huge difference between saying that the Vette is a better bang for the buck because at $30,000 less than the Viper (but still doesn't beat the Viper in ANY category) compared to the Viper, which is $180,000 less than the Lambo (and the Viper beats the Lambo in THE MAJORITY of categories). I'm not using the Vette boys' line, I'm simply saying that even at $180,000 less we still win in THE MAJORITY of tests against the Lambo (we beat the Lambo in 5 of 9 tests). PS we beat the Mosler in 3 categories as well. Any way you look at it, the SRT did very well in the test.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ. Hey I was agreeing with you on just about all points. Just didn't want to invoke the bang for the buck argument. I clearly do not think the Mosler should have been included. Just doesn't make sense. Not certified. Not a real production car. Etcetera.

BTW, if my intake valves were on the up and up I would be out there Lambo hunting now. But until then it is laying low. My RT/10 feels faster now.

REMIX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What people are missing is how insane that CL55 Benz is. I just can't believe how fast those things are now. I have an 02 CLK 55 and I thought THAT thing was fast. Those supercharged Benz motors are really something else. The big 4 door S55 has to be pretty close behind. These are both very heavy vehicles. That's just nuts.

REMIX

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was on the fence about buying an SRT. I sold my GTS in October and was thinking about making the plunge. Once I got the motor trend my mind was made up. Bought one this week. Looking forward to modding this one.