Motortrend's World's Greatest Drag Race 3: VIPER places 4th

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Challenger beat 7 of them and my Jeep beat 4 of them and possibly more since they did not show the E.T. to 4 figures. Yawn.

Capt Van

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn..they ran the white one, but hey at least we beat out the mini van.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I can say is that all these cars have their strengths and weaknesses and they have their own specialties that go beyond performance and into looks, exclusivity and comfort etc... I haven't seen any car at any specific price point dominate every aspect of the ownership experience. No matter which car you pick another car will have or do something better or cheaper.

jsd512

Enthusiast
Reaction score
11.5 is simply terrible (11.3 in the TA is BARELY passable). 10 years ago that would have been at or near the top. Now, that is terrible considering the the HP (640) and the MSRP.

Here are the others for ease of comparison:

Aventador: 10.4
MP4-12C: 10.7
911 Turbo S: 10.8
GT-R: 11.0
458: 11.0
SLS AMG: 11.1
ZR-1: 11.2
TA: 11.3
GTS: 11.5
R8 GT: 11.5

Some of these numbers, obviously, come from other tests.

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
11.5 is simply terrible (11.3 in the TA is BARELY passable). 10 years ago that would have been at or near the top. Now, that is terrible considering the the HP (640) and the MSRP.

The GTS runs an 11.4 :D

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GTS runs an 11.4 :D
Besides the ZR-1 - they all are either DCT or a combo of DCT + AWD

I just don't see how anyone thinks it is possible to be that fast without it off the line. (Granted, someone has hit 11.1 on a drag strip with drags)

If the Viper had DCT, people would cry it had DCT. If it had AWD, people would cry it had AWD.

What is it people want out of this car, exactly? You get the "no compromise" crowd - but anyone who builds products knows, building a product is all about compromise.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen.5 can compete with these 10 second cars of today if they add horsepower, get more weight off of it and perfect the launch control system. All Viper customers want from SRT is a vehicle that is completive with it competition or dominate ,like the Gen.2 did in their day. As the Gen.5 is now,it has failed,esp.for the money the are asking for a Dodge..2014 Gen.5 needs big upgrades or they to will be sitting on car lots unsold...

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen.5 can compete with these 10 second cars of today if they add horsepower, get more weight off of it and perfect the launch control system. All Viper customers want from SRT is a vehicle that is completive with it competition or dominate ,like the Gen.2 did in their day. As the Gen.5 is now,it has failed,esp.for the money the are asking for a Dodge..2014 Gen.5 needs big upgrades or they to will be sitting on car lots unsold...

Very objective and fair assessment but.... You are Now officially a "Troll" . Welcome to the club. You will be receiving your welcome package in the mail. It discusses different benefits available to you since you dare to find any fault with the Viper or the management of SRT. Some of those benefits include...

1) being insulted and harassed to the point that you never want to come back to this Forum.

2) You will be put on every ignore list

3) You will bond with the others that have left this site for a more non biased review of the Viper

4) You will receive a welcome post from the friendly troll staff here on the VCA forums.

Enjoy your SHORT and aggravating stay....

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides the ZR-1 - they all are either DCT or a combo of DCT + AWD

I just don't see how anyone thinks it is possible to be that fast without it off the line. (Granted, someone has hit 11.1 on a drag strip with drags)

If the Viper had DCT, people would cry it had DCT. If it had AWD, people would cry it had AWD.

What is it people want out of this car, exactly? You get the "no compromise" crowd - but anyone who builds products knows, building a product is all about compromise.

I think people want a Viper without 2005 technology. Its now 2013 as if anyone here has noticed ....

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't think the Viper will get near the numbers the Mac is producing even with more hp and or a better working launch control. The McLaren has the advantage of a hydraulic suspension that can really change weight transfer when in launch mode. The McLaren is about .3 seconds faster than next closest 2wd car (458). Trying to shave off 3 tenths is a huge number when looking at the ET.

Unless we go to some uber techno hydraulic suspension, awd rules the ET world and is the easiest way to quick & hard launches. If given a choice, I would rather have a car that ran 11.2 ET but with a 137 mph trap speed. Much more real world useful for me.

Cheers,
George

Last edited:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ET is based on traction. 128+ mph trap speed is the indicator of potential. The only car that trapped higher was the SLS. If you caught any of those cars on the freeway, only the SLS would hang.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still think they lost because they used a WHITE colored Viper.....Notice that the Nissan GT-R is not white.... what does that tell ya

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See Kratedisease, you makeup excuses for the Viper losing, In having 3 Vipers know why the Gen.5s are getting beat by all the new HP cars. That is why I offer suggestions to get the Gen.5 back being completive. If I want to win races, I must drive my 911 Turbo S.I will buy a brand new Gen.5 next year if some improvements are made. I could careless what it costs as long as it is completive. Have a couple friends that canceled orders on 13s,waiting also. That Troll **** ,has noting to do with anything....

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It runs around the turbo S on the track, so obviosuly you only care about one type of "competitiveness" - not sure what your point is.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran 10.3 @ 135 MPH in my MP4-12C....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPJ9ItB7zPI

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This conversation is like announcing in the past , " Viper ACR fastest Production car around Nurburgring, but dang it loses in the quarter mile!" Somehow logic and reason seems to be vacant as we all viewed a dirty airport runway and why would we be shocked with dust obliterating the view of the cars that machines with AWD , etc. are quicker. Now again we have a new enthusiast bashing the time by reporting on various 1/4 mile times under who knows what weather, locations, or track conditions. The simple fact is no car does everything at the top, but the Viper has always been focused as a track car, not a drag racer. Does it do well, sure for a a car without AWD , etc. but the issue that it gets beat in a quarter is trivial when you start comparing other cars top speed runs, track times , etc.

What is more apparent is the 128mph trap speed noted by Nine Ball ---------- over the years the one test that folks seem to forget about is the strength the big V10 has when on the roll. Few will outrun it after a quarter mile and ...................that is good enough for me.

Last edited:

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did everyone see how well the Benz wagon did? (5th) Wonder if the other 7 cars that were behind it will be hitting the Benz dealer to trade their cars? LOL

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the new AWD Benz cars are just now hitting streets going to be very hard to beat, with just a tune they'll be running mid 10's...

Did everyone see how well the Benz wagon did? (5th) Wonder if the other 7 cars that were behind it will be hitting the Benz dealer to trade their cars? LOL

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonder if that Benz wagon will be setting track records at Laguna? Any car can be made to be fast, doesn't mean I want it....

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This conversation is like announcing in the past , " Viper ACR fastest Production car around Nurburgring, but dang it loses in the quarter mile!" Somehow logic and reason seems to be vacant as we can all viewed a dirty airport runway and why would we be shocked with dust obliterating the view of the cars that machines with AWD , etc. are quicker. Now again we have a new enthusiast bashing the time by reporting on various 1/4 mile times under who knows what weather, locations, or track conditions. The simple fact is no car does everything at the top, but the Viper has always been focused as a track car, not a drag racer. Does it do well, sure for a a car without AWD , etc. but the issue that it gets beat in a quarter is trivial when you start comparing other cars top speed runs, track times , etc.

What is more apparent is the 128mph trap speed noted by Nine Ball ---------- over the years the one test that folks seem to forget about is the strength the big V10 has when on the roll. Few will outrun it after a quarter mile and ...................that is good enough for me.

Sorry, but the gen2 GTS Viper beat everyone on every test except braking,. Find a copy of Motor Trend May 1998 and Motor trend July 1999 on ebay. To all the people who claim motor trend is biased, the gen 2 came out on top for several years in Motor trend testing. But now, all of a sudden its the writer, and not the car that is the problem. The Gen 2 decimated every car made at the time. This gen5 is no longer competitive. The competition is now better.

Last edited:

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, but the gen2 GTS Viper beat everyone on every test except braking,. Find a copy of Motor Trend May 1998 and Motor trend July 1999 on ebay. To all the people who claim motor trend is biased, the gen 2 came out on top for several years in Motor trend testing. But now, all of a sudden its the writer, and not the car that is the problem. The Gen 2 decimated every car made at the time. This gen5 is no longer competitive. The competition is now better.

Not competitive may be a little bit of a stretch... So surprised you would come up with that. lol Wonder why they didn't have a ZR1 in the mix? So, are you hanging onto your Gen II for old times sake?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235