Mount & Balance 4 VIper tires - $250.00???

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(4) new tires are on the way for my 2006 so I have been calling around to find someone who can mount and road force balance the new rubber.

Unfortunately my local Dodge Dealership (Chris Leith Dodge) says they are not capable of handling the rears. They do have a Hunter Road Force balance machine.

So was referred to Hendrick Dodge in Cary, NC and this is what they told me.

1. They were only comfortably with having their (1) Viper tech (who they recently picked up from D&E Dodge in Wilmington) do the job and

2. It would be (this is what I was told the "discounted" price would be) $150.00 to mount and road force balance the "rears" and an additional $100.00 for the "fronts" for a grand total of $250.00

When I had Leith do the mount and road force balance on my Z06 tires it was less than HALF of this price. Hendrick Dodge claims that since they have to pay their Viper tech so much money they are actually losing money on the job. Also they claim that it is very "tricky" to do this type of job - it takes (2) hours and something along the lines they do something special at the factory when mounting and balancing, etc etc etc.

Thoughts?

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that price is ridiculous.. I would try to shop around to see if there is someone else for a better price..

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thats the problem when you call a dealer for a quote, and they give you a BALONEY SANDWICH instead. And Im pretty darn sure that DE Tech Story is even more baloney.........

It is NOT rocket science......no technical issues, the rear mounter must be careful

Have Leith do the fronts? AMERICAS TIRE or DISCOUNT TIRE could do em all.....or do the rears, just so long as it can be short, city-speeds drive between em on mismatched tires?

OP
OP
MuscleJunkie

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm.. even more interesting regarding Hendrick Dodge and the interesting story that gave me.

Tom Sessions gave me a call and assured me that he IS NOT working for Hendrick Dodge and he doesn't know of any other Viper Tech from D&E.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Insane price! Dealerships are putting themselves out of business. They're a little tight, but not that hard to do. Shame you're not in the philly area, I'd do yours for a case of Bud.

V

Venomiss

See if you can call Henry or Janni Cone since they are in the same town as you are.

My guess is they can steer you in the right direction.
PM me if you are interested.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hmm.. even more interesting regarding Hendrick Dodge and the interesting story that gave me.

Tom Sessions gave me a call and assured me that he IS NOT working for Hendrick Dodge and he doesn't know of any other Viper Tech from D&E.

As I suspected..... So NOW you know that a certain dealer fibbed about the technical nature of the service, fibbed about the "DE Viper Tech" and then gouged you for a load of baloney..... Do you trust he even has the equip to do it correctly?

[And since by your sig you are VCA Regional officer you know the Cones......]

Last edited:

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK What's road force balanced? Is it the machine that puts force on the tire like a small dyno? National tire here did all 4 of mine for $100. Rears took them a few minutes longer but they did them perfectly on a set of HRE chrome rims. No issues.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(4) new tires are on the way for my 2006 so I have been calling around to find someone who can mount and road force balance the new rubber.

Unfortunately my local Dodge Dealership (Chris Leith Dodge) says they are not capable of handling the rears. They do have a Hunter Road Force balance machine.

So was referred to Hendrick Dodge in Cary, NC and this is what they told me.

1. They were only comfortably with having their (1) Viper tech (who they recently picked up from D&E Dodge in Wilmington) do the job and

2. It would be (this is what I was told the "discounted" price would be) $150.00 to mount and road force balance the "rears" and an additional $100.00 for the "fronts" for a grand total of $250.00

When I had Leith do the mount and road force balance on my Z06 tires it was less than HALF of this price. Hendrick Dodge claims that since they have to pay their Viper tech so much money they are actually losing money on the job. Also they claim that it is very "tricky" to do this type of job - it takes (2) hours and something along the lines they do something special at the factory when mounting and balancing, etc etc etc.

Thoughts?

Well. It seems cheap to me. I assume that for the $250.00 it included a large tub of Vaseline and Vaseline is an oil product and the price of oil is high so I am guessing that at least 1/2 of the cost is to cover the "lube" before they bent you over. :lmao:

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's really getting crazy what they get to mount and balance tires. Tires Plus tried to **** me for $186. Drove down the road to a Goodyear and they charged me $50. Turns out it was an error and should have been $100 but I brought in a couple dozen donuts when I picked them up. :D

Me and a couple buddies have been seriously considering investing in a tire machine. We all go through a few sets of race rubber each year. At $100 a pop, it adds up fast.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Shame on Hendricks,

Check Goodyear, America's Tire, Discount Tire, etc.

Also, Tire Rack has authorized installers just about everywhere.

Should be about $25 to $35 per tire.

Dan

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are funny...I'm gonna order up some Omaha steaks, take 'em to Ruths Chris and have them cook it up for me.

How about next time you call your tire place and see if they would price match who ever you are buying the tires from. I bet the install price comes way down and then you don't need to lug everything around town.

I wouldn't mess with someones expensive wheels and tires just to make $25.00 per.

I'd be leary of the guy you find that is willing to do it so cheap..... Next week the thread will be "Some 9 dollar an hour putz at the tire shop scratched my Viper wheels!" :lmao:

OP
OP
MuscleJunkie

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are funny...I'm gonna order up some Omaha steaks, take 'em to Ruths Chris and have them cook it up for me.

How about next time you call your tire place and see if they would price match who ever you are buying the tires from. I bet the install price comes way down and then you don't need to lug everything around town.

I wouldn't mess with someones expensive wheels and tires just to make $25.00 per.

I'd be leary of the guy you find that is willing to do it so cheap..... Next week the thread will be "Some 9 dollar an hour putz at the tire shop scratched my Viper wheels!" :lmao:

I can say I talked to several "local" places here in Raleigh and no one could touch the price that Jon B at Parts Rack was able to get the tires to my door. I can say that the Wakefield Colony Tire (one of the places I gave an opportunity to quote) said that they would install for their discounted install price regardless if I bought tires from there or not. They agreed that it would be silly to purchase from them when I could get such a good deal from Jon B. They couldn't even come close. I would have them mount the tires but they do not have a Hunter Road Force Balance machine.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No they wouldn't

What would be your price?

So what's your point? I took my PS2's I purchased elsewhere to a Michelin store and they treated me as well as if I has bought them there. Are you saying that we should spend more at some 'auto boutique' because its a Viper. The service is worth what the service is worth and the equipment is the same if it's a good shop. And yes they do guarantee the wheels. It happened on my Z06 and they bought me a new GM wheel. Took a week to get but they covered it with apologies and no charge for the service.

Try getting a 'boutique' to replace a $2,000 wheel.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what's your point?

Point is, you have a Dodge Viper, your wheels and tires are worth thousands dollars, to act surprised that someone is wants to charge a couple hundred bucks to get involved with that kind of liability is ridiculous.:2tu:

Last edited:

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear you but the wheels on my other vehicles are expensive and I've never been charged extra because they were. I have been told 'I don't have the proper equipment for those wheels' and won't change them and been told where who has the right tools. But I've never heard 'those are expensive, I'll have to charge you more'. I once had and 'old school' frame and alignment shop spend 6 hours aligning my 65 XKE for $79. No one asked me for more but I offered to cover the extra hours he spent making it perfect.

Most tire distributors have good equipment, good training and good insurance. And most sell high dollar wheels. I just think it's unfair when someone charges a 'Viper Tax' because of what it is especially at a Dodge dealer. I'd have his b***s hanging from my rear diffuser if I could. I'd at least call Dodge regional and national offices and ask for an explanation.

PS I sometimes tip my tech/ tire man because he does a good job and takes his time. They appreciate it and remember you next time.

Blackhawk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having worked at Discount Tire in multiple states, I can assure you that they take great pride in doing the job correctly and will price match the competitors. Granted, not every person that works there has the same level of experience, but generally when you come in with an expensive wheel (I've seen $5K rims on a $1,500 car before) they are going to put their best person on it. There are certainly plenty of Discount stores in North Carolina and most, if not all, have a road force machine.

Accidents do happen of course, but they will take care of you if that does happen. At one point, at the store I was working at, the tech gripped a set of HRE's on the inside with the clamps (standard practice when airing the tire up) which left 3 little marks on the wheels at the four locations of the clamps. The wheels were not new, had other marks on them, but the owner was not happy with the marks (understandable) and the store took all 4 wheels and had them refinished on their dime without question. For them its about repeat business as they only do tires, so they want to make the customer happy.

As far as Hendrick's goes, I woudn't trust them to do anything. I recently purchased a new truck from them and wanted the wheels/tires of my old vehicle swapped to my new truck. It took them 3 hours to do so and they mixed and match all the lugs (chrome exposed lugs and then generic lugs which are under a cover). Amateurs at best.

MARKL488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The old saying if you got a $10.00 head wear a $10.00 helmet, if you have a $10.00 car go to a $10.00 per hour [mechanic]. If you go there do not be suprised if there is a major problem.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get my race tires dismounted/mounted and balanced for $12/tire @ Pepboys Auto. With tax it comes out to be just under $60. These are my 18" race tires/wheels.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
MuscleJunkie;2873245 2. It would be (this is what I was told the "discounted" price would be) $150.00 to mount and road force balance the "rears" and an additional $100.00 for the "fronts" for a grand total of $250.00 Thoughts?[/QUOTE said:
There's a good chance they're charging you for the tire sensors. They are very delicate and break easily. They probably worked them into the price assuming two or three would break.

Good chance your Z0 doesn't have the wheel sensors, therefore cheaper.

I swapped tires on my Viper and didn't damage the sensors using my machine. My brother wasn't so lucky with his SRT8 Jeep wheels. Think it cost him $80 a sensor.

A cheap place may cost you more in the long run when they break your sensors.

If anyone needs em swapped in the Philly area, give me a shout.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tire Kingdom gives a discount if you bought your tires from tire rack.

They also charge a premium for "high performance tires / wheels"

We just had the wife's Porsche done with tires I got at tire rack and it cost $120 with tax for mount and balance and "TPMS service" which is replacing the collar and O ring I think for all 4 tires. Balance is awesome at 130mph and all the way up there.

We have 2 of these in town, the one closest to me can't do the 22" wheels on my SRT10 Ram but the other one can. I always use the south side one because experience tells me they have always had better personnel. When ever I bring in high $$$ wheels or tires they always put their senior guy on it and they always do a stellar job, both quickly and professionally.

Search around, there's a load of local shops around here I know can do this stuff as well, and will take the time to do it right.

Don't let the "stealership" bend you over and don't think that just because they have a factory relationship that they are better than others, that would be quite wrong.

Last edited:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Around here most of the big tire shops will match tire rack or what ever internet site you are looking at( as long as they are not loosing money) and do the install for 15-20 a wheel.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! that seems steep to me too. I just had two rear tires mounted on my gen 1 and it only cost me 25 to do both. The local Dodge dealership here did it. I figured it would be very high,but was pleasantly surprised. Dodge dealerships should be able to do the job either way. That sounds real high to me.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You get what you pay for... I would not let a buget tire store even lift my car if THEY paid ME $250.00. Next thing you know you have two damaged sills at $3500.00 each because you wanted to save a couple of bucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang