Mustangs and Camaro's

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mustangs and Camaro\'s

OK, so I've had my RT for a little over 2 weeks. I am sick of not being able to drive without some punk in a wustang or f-body pulling up reving it blah blah blah.

I don't want to be a snotty Viper owner but I am really getting a bit tired of it. I try to be cool and wave and stuff but PLEASE! (I also try to wave at all Corvette so they won't think Viper drivers are snobs either)

I guess I will just have to start ignoring them as just waving and trying to be cool does not cut it. I mean, they have nothing to loose and everything to gain. If they get beat by a Viper oh well, it was a Viper. BUT IF THEY BEAT A VIPER....

I understand I think but I am getting tired of it. I had my 5 year old in the car with me the other day and some punk in an SS was trying to race.

What do you do?

OP
OP
M

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Mustangs and Camaro\'s

Yes, my wife thinks I am crazy. (maybe I am) But I orginally wanted a GTS but did not want to spend the extra 10K to get it.
Now that I've been driving one I realize how much I enjoy it.

Instead of modding this beautiful RT/10 and changing the way it looks(it's stock right now)I might as well put the money into a GTS. It's kinda rare as only 117 were made in 97 and seems just "wrong" to mess with it.

Oh well, live and learn.
smile.gif

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you don't want to race the Mustang & F-bodies then just wave or gesture no Thanks back. Most are cool and will go on their merry way. 90% of them that rev on you are just saying "hey cool car" and are not looking for a race.

As for Covettes just ignore them, if you try and wave they think one of two things. #1 Your some pompous a&& in a Viper that's trying to make them look stupid or #2 read #1 again. I have never, repeat never got a thumbs up, a wave, or even the googlie eyes from anyone driving a C5. This is over a time frame of one year and 15,000 miles. They always drive really slow and/or make a turn just up ahead
confused.gif
So C5's = ignore as they will surly ignore you.

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score

whats worse, is when you dont race, they run home to their little computers and message boards and talk smack about the ***** viper driver that wouldnt run them...
pissed.gif

i frequent many boards and see this ALL the time.

- eddie -

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Monnieh,

I completely understand your plight(please see my thread "Gonna Spank a Civic..."). I live not far from you and it seems that I have the same auto-magnetism(in my case its ricers). Be prepared to get the same activity in a GTS.

No Flame Intended...Just Observation

CStegall

Charlie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

From my experience it seems that any male from 12 to at least 30 must get a surge of testosterone that they have trouble controlling when they see a viper.
smile.gif
In general it's envy and it's best to smile and ignore it. They know what the outcome of the race would be and just want to see you squeeze it a little. Generally people are really cool and it's the 5% that don't really know how to acknowledge you that play that game. Most of these guys would love to be driving a Viper so in reality it's a compliment. Enjoy the ride, it seems to come with the territory..
Just my .02
BURNOUT.gif

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mostly youths,are just looking for some respect from their super hero,the viper,their car lovers,give em a nod,peace,or wave.
Ownership of the viper should require a attitude and driving test Wonder if i'd pass!

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with an above reply, take it as a compliment unless they do something rude, distastful or ignorant. (then get out and lay a good-ol-fashioned beating on em, LOL). ive been "challenged by chevettes, station wagons, F150s and just about everything else in this town and everywhere i go for that matter, people just wanna "see what you got", in fact most simply come out and say it. Its like fame, attention comes with the territory, like it or not

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yup, when we purchased our Vipers, we became the top of the food chain. Everyone is shooting for us. I have read countless stories that reinforce what has been said above.

"I tried to race a Viper but he chikened out, what a ****" or "Why did he spend all that money and won't race me". or "I beat a $80,000 car in my $20,000 Camaro". I've seen it all due to my diverse taste in cars and diverse use of internet forums.

I don't know if there is a good answer. Some become a so called "snob" and some race. I can't afford to race every challenger that comes along so I just smile and drive away.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hear you. I am not a fan of street racing. Very dangerous and it can get you in a lot of trouble.
Last year I had a beat up Camaro in back of me that was Harrassing me. He kept lurching at my rear bumper. Pissed me off to no end. I could see him laughing at me. I was boxed in, nothing I could do. But at the next light he turned left and that was the end of him.
I hate to see you sell the car because of the attention, (it is a Viper). I think the GTS would be worse. Especially with stripes.
I agree with the group- Don't bother waving to Corvette guys. They hardly ever wave back. I thought that car enthusiasts were friendly. Envy and all the other sh** gets in the way.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Previously owning 3 vettes,
Chain of respect,don't acknowledge anyone first(VIPER LAW).

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Could be related to where you live. I rarely get this here and when I do I just throw a few revs back and wave. Actually had a C5 rev at me in 30 mph traffic. I just reved in second breaking the tires loose a few times (old tires) and waved. I have never gotten a negative response other than the "street person" who walked by me the other day, flipped me off and said "hey, you stole my car!" I took it as a complement. Even the ricers are polite. The last one pulled up next to me at the light and, after doing a powerstand behind me, said "I just want to see how well I can keep up". He gave him a spirited start . After he asked what I ran in the quarter, he said he ran a 14.0.

Come to think of it the 911TT 's is probably saying the same about me as I always throw a rev at them and they never respond.......
tongue.gif

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Boy, I gotta agree with Jeff, as it might be a regional thing. I get thumbs up, waves , etc. from almost all Vette drivers, as
well as Miata, F-Bodies, Mustangs , and even slammed Rice Rockets. I get challenged to races usually in a joking manner, as folks rev up their Hyundais, Dodge Rams, and Geo Metros at me. They do it laughing, almost like a dog who lays on it's back , baring it's throat to it's acknowledged superior. When we go to the tracks nearby we have Vette and Porsche drivers come over and talk to us, ask questions, and often ask for rides. Who knows, maybe it is just a gearhead fraternity, since everyone already thinks there is nothing to do in the Midwest.Guess we just have to hang with our fellow Motormaniacs and it is kinda of nice to have the respect the Viper always carries around here.

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bill Pemberton wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I get challenged to races usually in a joking manner, as folks rev up their Hyundais, Dodge Rams, and Geo Metros at me. They do it laughing, almost like a dog who lays on it's back , baring it's throat to it's acknowledged superior.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is pretty common in my area too. Hell, how often do people see a Viper on the road? They want a show. Give them a rev or a burn-out or something, you'll make their day.

BTW, the best reply I ever saw to the "wanna race?" challenge, posted by someone on this board, was, "sure, how many car lengths do you want?"
laugh.gif

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

CatBack. Make the viper sound like the monster it is. BTW watch out for the 03 "Wustang", the Cobra may bite.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wipe the "game face" off and just smile and wave, even if they're jackasses. Half the time they have their tinted windows up and y'can't tell what the boneheads want anyway.

Of course, once in a while you can wax 'em.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with those who say lighten up, the Rustang and F-body guys are mostly just out there to have fun. What can it hurt to give a rev back (well, I guess if you have stock exhaust it may be a little embarrassing)? It's all in good fun.

The Vette guys I see on the road in SoCal tend to be cool. No, most won't wave back, but many do. And often they will strike up a conversation with you at a light if you are side-by-side. Must be a regional thing with snotty Vette owners. Of course there are no snotty Viper owners....
smile.gif

As far as your RT vs. GTS comment....You know the '97 RTs go for about the same as '97 GTSs, due to the rarity of the RTs, right? Did you get some kind of screaming deal on your RT? If not, I wouldn't think '97 GTSs would be $10K more....

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TOOOFST:
Previously owning 3 vettes,
Chain of respect,don't acknowledge anyone first(VIPER LAW).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I AGREE 100%. I'LL GO OUT OF MY WAY TO WAVE TO A FELLOW VIPER BUT OTHERWISE, THE VIPER LAW GOES INTO EFFECT.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte