My 05 need a tranny...Help

SRT2See

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 05 is in getting a supercharger installed. The tranny was always stiff ... when they pulled it it was a mess. Any suggestions? Used on eBay? Rebuilt T56, or I found Tremec T56 Magnum offered by Tick Performance as a direct bolt in.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I crunched the second gear in my 98 and was lucky enough to find a great tranny guy in my town who not only removed/rebuilt/replaced it for a great price, but had the skills to swap out the super tall 5th and 6th overdrive gearing for the shorter version found in older Aston Martins so that I ended up with a true 6-speed instead of a 4-speed with two overdrives. Best mod I ever did to the car because with 3:55 rear gears fifth became a usable gear. So whoever does your work, ask them about swapping out the 5th and 6th gears.

FST SNAKE

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I have a 6060 from a Gen 4 I would sell. The T56s tended to be really notchy to me vs 6060s which are very smooth. I'm not sure what all would need to be done if anything to put a 6060 in a Gen 3 but I know lots of people have done it. Let me know if you are interested. I would send it to a trans shop for inspection to make sure it's in good condition before I would sell it to ensure you are getting a good transmission. Thanks

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the single cone transmissions should be avoided. I have never shifted a double or triple cone but it has to be a significant improvement.

The large single cone evolved from the T85 3-spd into the 4-speeds. Then they added over 50% more gear inertia by adding 5th and 6th and making the gears heavier (T56 weighs about 125#, right?). The single cone simply isn't up for the job.

I've heard running Mobile 1 20w with carbon fiber singles works good in the Ford Top Loaders which due to bigger gears and single cone make them hard shifting.
I don't think there is a full triple in the B-W or Tremecs - only a combination of triple and double. I solved part of my Gen 2 shifting issues by making a shifter extension turning it into more like a crowbar. Short throw shifters on singles makes them harder to shift since now you're giving away all the mechanical advantage you need to bull the sliders.