My apologies to SRT owners everywhere...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I did it. I had to leg wrestle my bride for permission, but I snuck the SRT over to the local track. KCIR was very recently repaved (they tell me they literally finished it last night at midnight) and is 1000% better than it was previously. No more washboards at the end and no more semi-gravel return road. Unfortunately, it is SO new that the traction was spotty on the launch (new concrete pad there too), especially for the idiot with his SRT that hasn't run it yet.

Okay, okay, here is what happened. First off, the track was PACKED. I thought most wouldn't know about the early opening but I was very wrong. 260 cars were registered to run. How many runs did I get in? TWO. And for the first one, I must apologize to all SRT and Viper owners worldwide for having thoroughly let you down. Not only did I screw up the reaction time (approximately one month), but I blew the launch HORRIBLY and proceeded to smoke first gear like it wasn't there. Finally caught some traction and then couldn't hit second cleanly. Hell, I couldn't hit it at all. So while I am dancing around like a complete *****, I am watching this modified Z28 just rolling away. Meanwhile, the folks in the stands are watching said ***** going darn near sideways as he is desperately trying to get traction. Unleashing a torrent of swear words that could probably be heard across town, I finally found second and proceeded to chase down the Z28. Caught him, thumped him, and then was tempted to continue at a high rate of speed straight into the woods. Man, was I ticked off at myself for such a beginner's run. 60' time: 2.179 330: 6.025 1/4 mile: 13.03 @ 116.94 mph. Time slip immediately crumpled into a tiny ball and throw to the passenger floor in disgust. More very loud swearing to be heard.

Head hung in shame, I went back to the staging lanes. I came *this close* to just driving straight home and calling it a day after one run (for $20). Nope, I had to try one more if they would give me time. Sure enough, with the sun setting I was given a chance to redeem myself ever so slightly. While it was still nowhere NEAR where I wanted to be (11's), it was better. Having totally toasted the first launch, I decided to leave at idle this time. My opponent? A new 2003 supercharged Mustang Cobra. I knew it would be trouble, because it was yellow. ;) So, we line up and once again I fall asleep. When I woke to find the light green and a yellow tail, I then eased out and proceeded to slowly feed the throttle until I was confident I would not repeat the last episode. 2nd gear was like butter - no problems this time. I hauled in the Stang and then left him behind. 60' time: 2.159, 330: 5.78 1/4 mile: 12.27 @ 117.23. Was I happy with the run? Heck no!! But at least it wasn't totally humiliating like the first run. Obviously both the 60' time and trap speeds are WAY off, so there is a bunch more to be had. Is this a solid 11-second car? You bet your buns.

Now, one last tidbit in case you think I was a total dork (and I am undecided): Also running was a very modified Corvette Z06. Supercharged, exhaust, painted engine bay, all kinds of goodies. Driver is wearing a full driver's suit and racing shoes with matching helmet. I figured he was running a rail dragster before I saw him get into the Vette. I watch as he and a modified Supra line up (Supra even removes his headlight to get fresh air) and away they go! Supra barely takes him with a 12.31 to the Corvette's 12.37 @ 116.1 mph. Yes, a supercharged Z06. So, while I was very disappointed in my times and trap speeds, I was pleased to know that my sorry fat butt in blue jeans and a poorly fitting shirt still managed to squish the times of a supercharged Z06 with a skinny driver in a fancy racing outfit.

Oh heck, Jerry just sent me a video of my run on the Cobra. Here it is:

http://www.kansascityvca.com/srt/SRTvsCOBRA.wmv

You will probably want to right click it and save it to your hard drive to play it cleanly. I have already watched it a couple of times and am trying to figure out what the lady is saying in the background about "Porsche". Fun to actually see it on video, even though the run was nothing great. Thanks Jerry!

Chris

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,
I was in the stands. Then I had to hand one of the cameras to some kid next to me. Now I wish I would have given him the Still camera and not the camcorder. But he did OK filming. Show some pictures of the line of cars. Six wide waiting to stage. EXCELENT turnout today at the new track.

All the kids in the stands were talking about the "badest cars"... the Vipers that were there. You won all the races without even running. The public is still in love with the Vipers.

Jerry

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The important thing is that you won, you know what the Viper can do, next time you'll do it even more, and win even better! *grin*
Nice to see you out and racing that beast - using it like it's meant to be used.
Churn and burn, buddy. Churn and burn!!!
Thanks for sharing the fun. I really enjoyed the video. Love that Viper.
You must be registered for see images

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the video, look like lots of fun. The Cobra driver looked pretty good, nice job.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George, I have more Bikini Pics!

WOW... that was my Video! Don't I own it? My attitude is once it's on the internet, we all somehow own it. It was a good thing it was not the Video of Chris's first run, he may become a little upset :)

Jerry Dobson

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice run Chris, love reading your threads, always a good read minus the attitude, just out having fun, what it's all about!!

2nd time running the car and low 12's, you'll be in the 11's in no time, that's almost a given!!

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like alot of fun. Can't wait to get back to the strip.

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bummer, I left before I had the chance to see you run. That blown Z06 was surely a disappointment. It was good to see you, but two days in a row? OMG, what did I do wrong. hahaa