MY CAR IS TOTALLED

TooEvil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This makes for an interesting evening... My fiancee just called, crying mind you, and told me to sit down. Apparently one of the neighbor's step-father wrecked my Viper. Wrecked = "rolled three times," said the sheriff. Wrecked = "60' from the road," says my future brother-in-law.

This is what happens when you trust people to drive your exotic.

I was just happy that everyone in the car was okay. The passenger is a young boy who apparently thought I would be mad at him. I laughed and asked him if he was driving. Everyone is okay. Step-dad has been beaten (literally, not by me but by his step-daughter who is a good friend.)

Anyone have a nice low-mileage GTS for sale in good shape?

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That ***** bro! I've heard this same story so many times I don't think I will let anyone drive my car without me in it.

I'm getting ready to relist my 2000 ACR Black/silver as I want a FE ACR really badly.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your loss. You're a lot calmer than I would have been, but you did the right thing.

People will always be more important than cars. Glad everyone got out ok.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude, that *****. I've said it so many times, I sound like a broken record, but NEVER let ANYONE ELSE drive you're baby :( :(

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm kinda lost. How did the step father, of one of you or your fiancee's neighbors, get into the car?

OP
OP
T

TooEvil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
monnieh - What's the $$$ you're looking at - PM me, please.

FE 065 - I was okay with people taking it for a ride around the block, and it was left with my fiancee. She knew I was okay with the basic joy ride, but this schlep decided to see "what it could do" from what it sounds like.

Did I mention that he fled the scene and left a kid to fend for himself?

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, basically, everyone in the neighborhood could drop by and take it for a spin around the block???

Reaction score
Most important everyone is okay. Sad to have one crashed, but it can be replaced.

A good friend wanted to borrow a Viper to pick up his son from the Airport. FYI, he owned a body shop and offered to give me a check for the car before he took it.

I said no deal, declining his offer because I did not want him to kill his son of himself. I explained that the Viper's massive torque was not friendly to novice drivers.

Ten years later we are still good friends.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
monnieh - What's the $$$ you're looking at - PM me, please.

FE 065 - I was okay with people taking it for a ride around the block, and it was left with my fiancee. She knew I was okay with the basic joy ride, but this schlep decided to see "what it could do" from what it sounds like.

Did I mention that he fled the scene and left a kid to fend for himself?
What ****... what if the kid was injured and needed medical attention? He needs more than a beating for running off like that. :mad:

Do us all a favor... don't EVER let anyone take your snake around the block again! This serves to protect them. If they want a ride, drive them yourself. The Viper has a way of making idiots out of people around it, especially the unexperienced drivers.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats why you don't let just anyone drive your car. That sorta thing happens all the time. I am all for letting someone drive my car if i trust them or they are a really good friend BUT i will be in the passenger seat monitoring everything for their safety and mine.
Sorry about your baby!
The guy who fled the scene and left that kid should be charged to the maximum extent!

Klayfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm really sorry to hear about your car. As far as leaving a kid behind, as a father, I'd have some very evil and ugly suggestions for that driver.

I'm in the insurance business if you need any help with that end of it.

I also have a 1999 GTS, all black, Cognac interior, which I'm looking to sell. Not sure how low mileage you're looking for. Mine has 44,000 miles on it, with documented servicing at the Dodge dealer. New clutch, new brake pads/rotors, routine servicing, etc... It's in outstanding shape. I'm looking for $43,250 for it.

Steve

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry for you loss. Glad everyone is OK. Another reason why 1996 GTS bring a premium...Less are around....

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to replace the syncros on my NEW (less than 50 mile) Cobra from letting my buddy take it for a spin around the block in return for his help (and I was in the co-pilot seat even)....

No one will drive any of my "machines" again...

The step father should be shot for leaving the child behind. Was he charged with leaving the scene?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He takes your car, wrecks it, then flees the scene leaving a kid? If I was the DA, I'd be finding all sorts of felony charges to press against him. What a piece of trash!!!!!! Let this be a lesson to you, whatever car you buy next, don't let it be a neighborhood playtoy! You seem like a nice and OVERLY understanding guy, so give people all the joyrides they want (with YOU driving), but noone else gets to drive! 6 people have driven my car: me, my dad, 2 mechanics on test drives and 2 of my best friends. The best friends each drove it around a parking lot never getting over 10mph w/me shotgun.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeeez,
As others have pointed out....

"The Viper has a way of making idiots out of people around it, especially the unexperienced drivers."

Some "buddy", "service manager", "mechanic", will get behind the wheel for his very first viper drive, and end up wrecking the car.

No Viper experience and the desire to quickly see what it will do, so often leads to a wrecked Viper.
I wish someone had kept track of all the examples of this scenario.
We could fill a thread with them.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is irresponsible to let inexperienced drivers take a "spin" in a Viper. 80% responsibility to the owner, 20% to the driver.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this guy must be a real piece of garbage, to go so fast, with someone elses car, to flip a viper three times .

plus this of course: "Did I mention that he fled the scene and left a kid to fend for himself?"

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this guy must be a real piece of garbage, to go so fast, with someone elses car, to flip a viper three times .

Someone taking a Viper that fast doesn't surprise me. Its really stupid, but Vipers make people think they are better drivers than they really are. The part about leaving the kid is what irks me!

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< neighbor's step-father wrecked my Viper. >>

another thought:

one of the numerous reasons nobody drives my car, is that nobody but myself and my wife are INSURED to drive my car.

i hope and pray your "neighbor's step-father" is named on your insurance policy, or you could really be screwed here.

(glad you are ok)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i hope and pray your "neighbor's step-father" is named on your insurance policy, or you could really be screwed here.

(glad you are ok)

Very good point. I'm hoping his insurance policy is one where the car is covered, not the driver. Meaning HIS (the owner's insurance) will pay, which ***** since he wasn't driving, but its better than coming out of pocket for a new Viper.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I'll keep my eye open for another clean car for you. Hope you can get one in time for VOI!

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was okay with people taking it for a ride around the block,

I felt sorry for you until you said that. What did you expect would happen ?

Agreed.
So let me get this straight, you let your fiance' decide who gets to take it for a spin?
You must have wanted a free upgrade from the insurance company for a newer GTS because that's what you asked for.
:bonker:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< I wish someone had kept track of all the examples of this scenario. We could fill a thread with them. >>

nice idea joe, but it would not matter.

numerous posts like this are out there and have been out there for a long time. yet these scenarios happen, and will continue to happen no matter what we do.

afterall, this kind of thing only happens to "other people."

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guy are all correct. This is like a broken record. Not even so much the same old story of an owner doing someone an ill-chosen favor only to see their baby destroyed, but the evolution of the posts that follow.

First come the sympathy and the "life is what matters most" posts, as they should. Then gradually come the "how did you let that happen?" posts. Finally voices of reason point out the real flaws in the scenario. As time goes on and sympathy is expressed, it seems, the ability to speak the truth in these settings comes forth.

So don't blame me for this message, I'll just cut to the inevitable chase:

Leaving your keys to let just anyone drive your car is NEGLIGENCE pure and simple. You are as responsible for your cars destruction and the possible injury to others as if you left it running in the 'hood and walked away, or left a loaded gun laying around. I wouldn't be surprised if your insurance company did not pay at all, in fact I'd probably agree with that decision--why should my rates go up for people like you? While the step-father-neighbor-of-fiance(!) has liability, you are far from off the hook morally or legally.

:curse: :nono: :hitfan: :buttkick: :bonker:

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Sounds like a daytime soap opera...neighbors, freinds of friends of neighbor's, neighbor's step-father, step-daughters, future brother-in-law, fiancee, blah...blah...blah. Anyone look like the kid playing the banjo in "Deliverance"? Giving others the keys to a Viper is just stupid. The only positive outcome here is that you helped increase the value of the remaining GEN IIs. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960