My carpets get wet when I wash my car.

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everybody!
That’s my first post! After having been reading your posts for a long time, I finally decided to register.
So here is my first problem to resolve: I have a Mc Viper and everytime I wash it, I get the carpets of both sides wet.
It starts on the vertical side (the part that separates the exhaust from the interior) under the DTC at the same high of the door, and then goes down and get the carpets wet. I cannot find from where the water enters. I already tried to put silicone everywhere it might enter but it still continues. Even if I water the car taking care nothing passes through the «windows», my carpets get wet as well. I even removed the side sill to see if I could find anything under, but I can’t remove the insulation to see behind (do you have to remove the exhaust to be able to remove the insulation?).
So any advice will be welcome!
Thank You All !

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, yes the water on the carpet! This is just another secret that makes the Viper so Wonderful! :D

I wouldn't worry about it.

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know what you mean about getting water inside the Viper. It takes time and more time to solve the leaks. Some Viper have it worst than others. I has several leaks not just one. Here are some good areas to check where I had problems with:

1) The plastic sheet behind the door panels. On my passenger side the black rubber sealant was poorly sealed in the bottom corner (speaker area). It was amazing how much water can enter the Viper because of this. You may have to put more sealant there. I used Super Weatherstrip Adhesive made by Permatex.

2) Remove the door sills (plastic strip that has Viper written on it)and check the corner where there is glue/sealant. Water would freely enter my car under the carpet. Mine leaked a little on the drivers side and a lot in the passengers side. The way to test is to keep the door closed a pour water on the hinge area. I used clear silicone to fix.

Other areas to look out for:
-around windshield,
-the box that has the heater core the spongy areas can allow water in
-door weatherstripping
-upper corners of the doors (where you open the doors) can drip water behind the seats

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah, I just noticed that on mine also...it was wet on the driver's and passenger side....I haven't doug into it yet to see where it's leaking from.

OP
OP
J

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I already tried to put silicone under that black rubber sealant and the door sill. I will put some more to try. I'll check also the other areas you told me.
Thank You!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure the airbox drain duckbill valve isn't stuck closed. If so the airbox will fill and leak into the passenger floor. It can be found underneath the airbox by the A/C dryer / sightglass.

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found and was told by the "Viper Wizard" that when washing the car the air switch must be at 12 o'clock (off position the circle o) or water can enter...I hope this helps. I think its in the manual also.

Biff Brown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Vipers leak water from where the door's meet the hood. Water runs down the windshield, over the cowl and into the side of your door, it then runs down the inside of your door, over your speaker and into the floorboards. For those interested send me an e-mail to [email protected] and I'll forward pictures showing where to install rubber molding to eliminate this. Maybe someone can post this info. where it can be searched in the future....Biff

OP
OP
J

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Biff! I'll email you for the pictures. I'll try to post them here but I sincerely don't know how to do it. But I'll try.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
funny i never heard that about the fan control knob. but then again i never had this problem. good info, not surprising the wizard was the source of the news tho. he is the man.

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In case anyone is interested here is the picture that better shows what Biff is talking about:

5163DSCF0182.jpg

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just washed mine today and no leaks. Does it just happen on certain cars or does the ageof the rubber molding come into play?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine leaks into the passenger side something fierce. Nothing on the drivers side. Still haven't tracked down the culprit yet.