my doors still locked, but now the car won't start...

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: my doors still locked, but now the car won\'t start...

Your alarm thinks that it was set off. The fuel shutoff function has been activated.

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Try and reset the alarm. Stand close to the car and hold down both buttons "lock and unlock" on your keyless remote for about 5 seconds, maybe more, till you hear a beep. That might help. If it’s not the battery
good luck

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My 96 GTS did this.

Symptoms:

Red light on dash not on.

Doors do not work.

Fuel shut off occurs when you start it.

While I have not fixed this, I found that if I disconnected the battery, the doors would work but the alarm system would not arm, nor would the red dash light come on.

Once in a while, the doors will quit working and I disconnect the battery again.

Of course, I can't lock the doors either - the FOB doesn't seem to do anything anymore.

This is not a fix, but the disconnect battery thing may be helpfull.

Tom

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have you tried removing the red batt contact for 5 min yet? That will fix it, mine did the same thing one time.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3DViper:
Still trying to figure out why my doors are locked, I decided to start the car, the first try it started, then it died, same thing with the second and third try...battery?

thanks

Luis

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to worry.

The exact same thing happened to me when I first bought my car, and the weird thing is a vette in the same parking lot did the exact same thing at the same time? Figure that one out.

Unlike the vette though which was towed away, I decided to reset the computer and boom the car worked normal again. Just unplug the red power cable for a few min and it will solve your problem.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Hopefully the above mention suggestions have worked for you...but, as I recall, many 1997 Vipers have had to have the alarm module replaced and NEW fobs programmed...may have been a TSB on this. Others can probably add more.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Luis- If the battery disconnect does not work. Your computer module on your alarm system may need to be replaced. Same thing happened to me. I recommend you replace your battery too. Mine had to be towed to Dodge on a flat bed. The person who picked up the car did a great job. But the driver who took it off the next day scraped the front facia on the ground.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

3dViper,

As stated earlier my viper did the exact same thing with as yours about 2 years ago. The thing that made it freaky was that a new c5 sitting a few cars away from me did the exact same thing.

Don't know if its possible but perhaps someone was tampering with the alarms which made them act up like that. The car has not done anything like this since. Perhaps someone was using a scanner or something to try and find the alarm frequency?

Someone who is more familiar than I on this subject may be able to fill in the blanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456