My Engine Problems

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As many of you know I went to bowling to race my viper and the engine decided it was time to give up. HOwever, before my motor gave away I went 10.22 @ 148.6MPH on BFG drag radials. I had the highest MPH of the day for 6 speeds. Anyway, John H e n n e ssey was kind enough to take my car to Dallas where my dad lives. My dad was kind enough to tear the engine apart and find out what was wrong with it. We figured that we would have more options in dallas than utah for engine shop etc.

My dad took the engine apart and found that a valve guide broke and took a tour of my engine. It damaged several pistons and corresponding combustion chambers. It did not damage any cylinder walls. I am going to replace the pistons, replace valve guides, and do a valve job. THe valve guide broke because the head guy used cast iron guides instead of the brass ones. Make sure if you have an older venom package on your car that you check the valve guides and make sure they are brass. THere are no problems I know of with the cast iron guides until you port on them.

OP
OP
U

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have already checked the rods and they were fine and we are going to upgrade the rod bolts and rod bearings.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think it traveled out the exhaust of the cylinder it started from, or out the intake and into the intake of another.
My guess would be intake to intake.

OP
OP
U

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some probably went out the exhaust but there was definitely was some that went from intake to intake. I can't believe it can do that against 12psi of boost.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen another venom with broken valve guides,just last week!
Good call and info on replacement.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang