My Heffner SC is AWESOME!!! --w/pics

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Casey,guessing 60-70miles from downtown Chi-town,about 15miles North of the WI/IL border.
Finish Line Dodge just came in as a sponsor.Out of towners get the royal treatment.Another fine job JH performance.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One word of caution for all you "supercharger pilots" out there. From the posts that I have been viewing on this board, it is readily apparent that most of you do not possess the saavy and experience with such overpowered cars as your Vipers. When owners have more $$ than common sense, the respectable 450/HP and torque threshold becomes a matter of bragging rights.......going to the highest bidder willing to spend the most $$ on jacking the output to 600-800/HP.

Every owner should never loose sight of the fact that these cars are already very powerful and dangerous beasts and when put in the hands of amateurs, they simply outclass the unaware throttle stomping jockey.

This post is NOT intended to disparage anyone for wanting to add more power to their cars. It is just a reminder that we all are (and should be) responsible adults with this hobby of ours......use discretion when buying more HP.....don't go overboard just to brag.....remember, you may actually use it someday and have to handle it. :eek: :eek:

Regards to all..... :) :)

Melzer, you are right on the money! I think about the very aspect of using the power responsibly and in a manner that will not shorten my lifespan in the process.

I, for one, certainly did not get the power to brag. As far as using the power and handling it, I plan on incremental increases of speeds on tracks with which I am already familiar to serve as a point of reference! I spent too much time planning, figuring and waiting to create any of the problems against which you are cautioning!

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Valid point Melzer - power can go to all of our heads. The only way to stay alive with a monster car is to have a great deal of self-control and maturity. The throttle requires considerable feathering and a rush of blood to the head and a stab on the pedal - even at high speed - could be enough to finish our final race quicker than we hoped.

It's not the guy with the biggest right foot that wins, but the guy who can keep the coolest head. The heavy right footer will die young in any of these cars...

Torquemonster, When it comes to a stock Viper on the roadcourse, it always comes down to smoothness on and off the throttle as well as accelerating and braking in a straight line. This is what is so exciting about the prospect of having the supercharger: When I got my first 1996 RT/10, it was the fastest Motherf***er of a car I had ever driven__Period! Well............ for the first week it was anyway. Since then, every Viper I have had after the first few days brought me to the same rhetorical question, "Is this fast?"

I think every reasonable man with restraint and some basic driving skills and understanding of the fundamental principles of tire contact patch and dynamic weight transfer will feel the limits of the car and of his ability coupled with his cojones. Anybody who stabs the throttle at high speeds without the proper track conditions/road surface and/or runoff is asking for a disaster! I think the best way to learn the capabilities and characteristics of the newly installed power is a methodical approach of incremental increases in varied conditions on a track the driver already knows for a point of reference.

P.S. One more thing: I believe performance driving/road racing speed is all relative. I have taken people for rides who could not believe what we just did because they are not used to it! But for me, it is just an everyday(when I am at the track) natural and controlled occurrence...As it should be.

OP
OP
C

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Melzer, always good to be reminded that the Viper can be lethal if not respected! I personally, plan on taking my time getting to know my New Viper, with the intention of learning to use all 722rwhp of it, while always respecting it!
TOOFST, sounds like a long drive for me to GLD, and I can't wait to make it!! July 18th it is! :laugh:
Paolo, you make alot of good points. Every ones comfort level is different, as well as their experience!

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the Viper body has curves like a woman, Jason Heffner, in a sense, dresses her in under hood lingrie and makes her an animal in all the right ways and places!
Are you saying Jason is a ****? Just kidding, he's very dedicated. Congrats to all Heffner's customers, he's a great man, even just to talk to.
So I see you have 'Stangs in/near your shop again, could you tell us a little something that's going on with them?

Keep up the awesome work, Jason. How's mother and daughter doing?

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo, what are you using to calculate these top speed figures? Can you figure out what the Supra I sold (on the sig) could do top speed? I think CD was .33, weight of ~3750 pounds with me in it and 786 RWHP on boost and 874 RWHP on NOS.

TOOFST, how far is GLD from Chicago? Where? I would love to make it there on the 18th.

Paolo has a Viper, but it is w/o a motor right now! I guess that would be the ultimate Poser, as it really just sits there looking pretty! :laugh:

317snakes_008-thumb.jpg

There it is! Sitting there! But from the info I am getting Paolo's car needs it's rest as soon enough it will be a MONSTER!

Casey, Thanks for the encouragement and Congrats on your car! It looks beautiful! If the Viper body has curves like a woman, Jason Heffner, in a sense, dresses her in under hood lingrie and makes her an animal in all the right ways and places! I am glad you love it and hope you can come to Chicago before July 18th and show the local homies what 720 RWHP looks and feels like. Valparaiso is not that far from Chicago at all!

P.S. You are probably not aware of this, but, with the correct transmission gearing, you have enough RWHP to go 226 MPH!

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Casey! Your car looks great, and you will NEVER regret spending the money for SCi. Keep in mind - there is a learning curve with these beasts. Take it easy until you learn what your car is capable to doing. Russ

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supra, I need the CD, frontal area, rear end gear and transmission gear ratios, tire size to calculate. I looked up what I think the specs would be: .33 CD, 21 Sq. Ft. frontal area, 3.27 rear end gear, 6th gear is .79 from what I can tell. I looked up the tire size on Tire Rack and got 255/40/17 for the tire size 25.1" overall diameter. Unfortunately I can not see a way for the Supra with those transmission gear ratios to go faster than 188 MPH @ 6500 RPM (My spread sheet only goes to 6500 RPM). Power wise you have the power with that drag to go 240-250 MPH. I do not know what you would have to do aerodynamically to stay on the road at that speed though. Please give me some more trans/gearing/rear end possibilities and the actual redline of the car. I think some Supras rev to 8,000 RPM.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out of curiousity , would road surface effect the calculation? What about Windspeed and the humidity or air? what about temperature?
etc etc-

G

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out of curiousity , would road surface effect the calculation? What about Windspeed and the humidity or air? what about temperature?
etc etc-

G

G- I would think the presence of a headwind would slow down the car, a tail wind would speed it up. I think the humidity and temperature would have more of a bearing on the amount of HP an engine would make. I know the salt flats rolling surface is more drag than a regular smooth, cement highway would have. I have this spread sheet that very accurately calculates the RWHP needed to go a certain speed base on CD, frontal area, rear end gear, tranny gear, and overall tire diameter.

This sheet says a Viper needs 406 RWHP to go 185 MPH which is exactly what they have out of the box and that is about what they go give or take a few MPH!

It says a Viper needs 456 RWHP to go 193 Which I personally attained in my 465 RWHP car with the windows open.

It calculated the LPE TT Vette from a few years back would need 589 RWHP to go 225 MPH..... The magazine clocked it at 226 MPH(LPE said the car made 560 RWHP)

==> My car, with 900-1000 RWHP(Yet to be dynoed,) should be capable of 245-255 MPH. I understand the Viper is good to 210-215 MPH with the stock aerodynamics from some Silverstate guys. I do not doubt it as at 190+ and my car being slightly lowered felt the same as it does at 140-150. I think after 215 MPH, @ 5300 RPM with the different transmission gearing for 5th and 6th, some aero mods will need to be done to ensure stability.

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations, awesome numbers :eek: and thanks for sharing the pic's :D , Mbn

melzer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
torquemonster - Paolo Castellano - Casey,

Thanks guys for your positive responses to my original post about Viper power. :)

I'm glad to see there are responsible people out there who are mature enough to realize the power of the beast. I see all too often the unfortunate postings on another (Cobra) club website of guys who have launched themselves and others into (Cobra) heaven from throwing caution to the wind.

Casey......very nice GTS, good luck with it! :cool: :cool:

To all.....be safe out there

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Paolo, your numbers for the Supra look right. The car in the sig had a redline of 7800 RPM's (stock is 7,000), highest you would want to go "safely" in a stock bottom end Supra is ~8,000 RPM, some have gone higher but I'm not sure how safe that is. As far as tires the car had 285/35/18's (255/40/17 is the correct stock size tires), should be a bit taller. Any way you can "re-calculate" with those numbers?

As far as aerodynamics, I wouldn't want to even try to go 240+ MPH. I would like to go 200 MPH, in a Supra, Viper, Vette, 911 or any other car capable of it:)

Thanks!

Supra, I need the CD, frontal area, rear end gear and transmission gear ratios, tire size to calculate. I looked up what I think the specs would be: .33 CD, 21 Sq. Ft. frontal area, 3.27 rear end gear, 6th gear is .79 from what I can tell. I looked up the tire size on Tire Rack and got 255/40/17 for the tire size 25.1" overall diameter. Unfortunately I can not see a way for the Supra with those transmission gear ratios to go faster than 188 MPH @ 6500 RPM (My spread sheet only goes to 6500 RPM). Power wise you have the power with that drag to go 240-250 MPH. I do not know what you would have to do aerodynamically to stay on the road at that speed though. Please give me some more trans/gearing/rear end possibilities and the actual redline of the car. I think some Supras rev to 8,000 RPM.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Paolo, your numbers for the Supra look right. The car in the sig had a redline of 7800 RPM's (stock is 7,000), highest you would want to go "safely" in a stock bottom end Supra is ~8,000 RPM, some have gone higher but I'm not sure how safe that is. As far as tires the car had 285/35/18's (255/40/17 is the correct stock size tires), should be a bit taller. Any way you can "re-calculate" with those numbers?

As far as aerodynamics, I wouldn't want to even try to go 240+ MPH. I would like to go 200 MPH, in a Supra, Viper, Vette, 911 or any other car capable of it:)

Thanks!

Supra, With that gearing, and tire size, you will be hitting 200 MPH @ 6700-6800 RPM, 223 MPH @6500 RPM and 238 MPH @ 8,000 RPM. You should have the power to go that fast. Whether the car will stay on the ground is another story.

Here is a web address to a gearing chart that allows you to go to any RPM you want: http://www.f-body.org/gears/

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo, thanks for the calculations. Trust me I wouldn't want to try to go 240+ MPH, the car would most likely not stay on the ground, besides that car is sold. I did pick up another Supra (was going to get a Viper GTS but didn't find a clean one in my price range and found a Supra I couldn't pass up) capable of ~650 RWHP (I'm planning on putting a bigger turbo on it) so I want to go for 200 one of these days with a GPS unit:)

Thanks!

Supra, With that gearing, and tire size, you will be hitting 200 MPH @ 6700-6800 RPM, 223 MPH @6500 RPM and 238 MPH @ 8,000 RPM. You should have the power to go that fast. Whether the car will stay on the ground is another story.

Here is a web address to a gearing chart that allows you to go to any RPM you want: http://www.f-body.org/gears/

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't get in the passenger seat with Paolo! but do bring a video camera and post some cool videos. I talked to Mash the other day, he said he was toying with an R1. He said he would put about 5 cars on him, let off and do it again. Can you imagine what that guy must have been thinking.

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I worked on my first Viper almost 8 years ago when I was a tech at a local dealer. I have been doing superchargers in general for about 7 years and have been installing superchargers on Vipers for over three years.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, with all due respect, don't ask Jason how long he's been doing this ask him about the cars he's built, and the times/speeds in the 1/4 mile, and not limited to Vipers, hint Fords, and others, I've seen the magazines.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd get in the passenger seat with you Paolo! :D

Can't wait to hear about yours next!

Torquemonster, I am sure you would! I know I would get in the passenger seat with me! I mean, really, what is the big deal? I can guarantee you that everyone who has ever had a ride with me will never forget it!

My car will be done very soon!

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeez, if I should have brought some Depends for Mark Cooper's 'then' 571 rwhp Heffner sc'd GTS... You'd have crap all over your interior, not to mention vomit. Just kidding, but that would be one wild ride.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet! There's nothing like opening a can of whoopa$$ on a liter+ bike;)

Whatever you do, don't get in the passenger seat with Paolo! but do bring a video camera and post some cool videos. I talked to Mash the other day, he said he was toying with an R1. He said he would put about 5 cars on him, let off and do it again. Can you imagine what that guy must have been thinking.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TOOFST, how far is GLD from Chicago? Where? I would love to make it there on the 18th.

Paolo has a Viper, but it is w/o a motor right now! I guess that would be the ultimate Poser, as it really just sits there looking pretty! :laugh:

317snakes_008-med.jpg

There it is! Sitting there! But from the info I am getting Paolo's car needs it's rest as soon enough it will be a MONSTER!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad