My NACA duct flew off of my car on the highway!

S-JC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm cruising on the interstate at about 75 mph when all of a sudden, I see this red triangle go flying over the car. I thought, "I sure don't remember seeing a red piece of paper on the ro--hey! That's a piece of my car!" By the time I could exit and jog down to the site, the piece had been destroyed by traffic.

So I am in need of a red NACA duct triangle piece. It's the whole triangle that sits in the little slot. Before I go to the hassle of ordering a new one and having it painted, I thought I'd ask here on the forums to see if anyone has an extra one sitting around. It doesn't have to be free; I just hate waiting around for paint work.

Thanks for your help, guys. :(

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a nitrous user at the V-10 Nationals that at the start, had a nitrous explosion and thru the NACA duct 25 feet in the air.

I have the video saved to my desk top..... I wish there was a way to cut a frame so I can post it.

Watch the red car on the left throw the NACA duct into mid air.

You must be registered for see images

Cudaman :usa:

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happened to me at my own TOOFAST drag day,wanted to put on a show and I did,by hitting the 250shot about 2500 and the slicks hooked hard dropping the RPM's and coughing the Naca duct up in a gazillon pieces.It does scare the sheet out of ya too!

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happened to me at my own TOOFAST drag day,wanted to put on a show and I did,by hitting the 250shot about 2500 and the slicks hooked hard dropping the RPM's and coughing the Naca duct up in a gazillon pieces.It does scare the sheet out of ya too!

I remember the aftermath of what that looked like.

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
S-JC... Sorry to hear about the loss! Was your hood damaged? Any idea how it became "disconnected" from your car?

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was cleaning my car last year and the duct moved, on closer inspection 5 of the 6 nuts holding it on had vanished, and the last nut was loose.... literally 'hanging by a thread' Replaced with lock nuts

all the power must of shook them off :D

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a nitrous user at the V-10 Nationals that at the start, had a nitrous explosion and thru the NACA duct 25 feet in the air.
Plumcrazy is NOT going to be happy viewing this! LOL

OP
OP
S

S-JC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was cleaning my car last year and the duct moved, on closer inspection 5 of the 6 nuts holding it on had vanished, and the last nut was loose.... literally 'hanging by a thread' Replaced with lock nuts

all the power must of shook them off :D

Perhaps this is what happened to mine. I had just washed the car that morning and hadn't noticed any movement.

No, the hood was not damaged. Whew!

Surely there's someone out there who's got a wrecked hood with an intact duct? Any ideas on where I can get a new one that's painted? I think I'll give PartsRack a call.

Until it's fixed, I just have to tell people that I added 16 RWHP by removing the duct. :D

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the video saved to my desk top..... I wish there was a way to cut a frame so I can post it.

As the announcer said at the V-10 Nationals "This is nitrous gone bad!"

OP
OP
S

S-JC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
225 bucks...for an unpainted 8-inch piece of plastic...Viper tax, anyone?

At least it wasn't a mechanical problem or a bodily injury.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ward how did you post a vid like that?

It is called Justin.......he is my 15 year old son a computer wizard..... he goes by MiniCuda :usa:

He took a video and switched it into that...... I watched him do ......but I don't have a clue of all the steps.

Hopeful soon he will be in charge of Central and N.Florida web site.

SeniorCudaman :usa:

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can't quit watching the yellow car! :D :usa:

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me (as Neil describes) about two years ago. Washing the car and saw the duct move - only two of the fasteners were there and they were loose.