My New Shifter Knob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wanted something different. Blue is a perfect match to the car's color, to the eye anyway.

And no it is not a P it is an R. Reflection distortion.

pdub

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great minds think alike, haha.
You must be registered for see images attach

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good! Did you get that from MGW?

Come to think of it, doesn't Dave have one of those in red/black?

OP
OP
S

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great minds think alike, haha.

Darn you! Now I have to get an all blue with the white stripes!!! Now does anyone have one or can I be the first on something pleeeease?????

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Darn you! Now I have to get an all blue with the white stripes!!! Now does anyone have one or can I be the first on something pleeeease?????
here ya go. 1/2 x 20 thread as well.

Last edited:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive got one of those too :) Mines Red with Silver stripes ;) On a Gen 2 you have to run a tap down the thread to make it fit on the threaded shaft.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simply taking the stock knob off a stock shifter and putting on one of these knobs, wont it make the knob way to low and increase effort? Can you do anything to raise the knob by putting on an extensions?

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No its not, its a sickspeed. Fat boy, what did you re-tap, the knob or the shaft and what size did you use. I have a Gen II (96 gts)
I got mine from MGW, The MGW Cue ball shifter comes with a Metric thread. the MGW Shifter uses 12 x 175mm. MGW said they could mount the knob on a adapter shaft for me but it would increase length. The thread on a stock Gen 2 shifter is 1/2 inch 20 This job took less than 5 minutes holding the cue ball in one hand and the 1/2 Inch 20 hand held tap in the other hand to run down the brass threaded insert inside the cue ball :) My Ball shifter has the Sneaky Pete logo on the side too :)

attachment.php

There was a thread about the Shifters and Cue balls Here :)
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...ow-Shifter...?highlight=HURST+SHIFTER+INSTALL

One thing I would mention about these Cue ball shifters are they are slightly bigger diameter than the stock ball. So if you have small hands this may not be the shifter for you!

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, read allot of threads about it but my question still is if you remove the stock knob and throw a cue ball type knob like you have, does it make it too short? Tremec makes a cool white knob but I am afraid of taking my stock knob off and putting on the Tremec cue ball one will make it too short. Thoughts?

OP
OP
S

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, read allot of threads about it but my question still is if you remove the stock knob and throw a cue ball type knob like you have, does it make it too short? Tremec makes a cool white knob but I am afraid of taking my stock knob off and putting on the Tremec cue ball one will make it too short. Thoughts?

They make an extension.

OP
OP
S

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd mention about these Cue ball shifters are they are slightly bigger diameter than the stock ball. So if you have small hands this may not be the shifter for you!

Works fine in my hands, unless your a midget it should be fine

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
daveg, As Sybil TF says, they do make an extension which can screw onto the stock shifter thread then the Cue ball screws onto that :)

My preference is for a shorter shifter than the stock one.

I also did not like the OEM Gear shifter mechanism, So swaped it out for the Hurst Shifter.
Now the Rant
First impressions after swapping to the Hurst shifter are, .. Well its different, Im not sure if i'm liking it or not really, I still miss gears if trying to change too fast even with this shifter and Woodhouse Engine and Transmission mounts and solid billet Transmission cross member.

If Im honest I hate the Bloody Gearbox, Call it blasphemy or what ever you like but having mainly driven manual cars all my Driving life, I would love to have a better gate on the gearbox like in a Ferrari so you know exactly what gear you are selecting, hell even paddle shifters. Or Sequential!

In my Cobra (which I had before the Viper) I had a BW T5 Gearbox, Gear selecting was much more positive than the Gen 2 Gearbox.

OP
OP
S

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It feels better with the ball and easier because it is shorter.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
daveg, As Sybil TF says, they do make an extension which can screw onto the stock shifter thread then the Cue ball screws onto that :)

My preference is for a shorter shifter than the stock one.

I also did not like the OEM Gear shifter mechanism, So swaped it out for the Hurst Shifter.
Now the Rant
First impressions after swapping to the Hurst shifter are, .. Well its different, Im not sure if i'm liking it or not really, I still miss gears if trying to change too fast even with this shifter and Woodhouse Engine and Transmission mounts and solid billet Transmission cross member.

If Im honest I hate the Bloody Gearbox, Call it blasphemy or what ever you like but having mainly driven manual cars all my Driving life, I would love to have a better gate on the gearbox like in a Ferrari so you know exactly what gear you are selecting, hell even paddle shifters. Or Sequential!

In my Cobra (which I had before the Viper) I had a BW T5 Gearbox, Gear selecting was much more positive than the Gen 2 Gearbox.
Thanks for the info. I hear ya on the gate. I have a Muncie M22 in my 69 Vette and have never missed a shift (with the stock shifter installed no less) . I have missed shifts in the Viper though..

OP
OP
S

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I hear ya on the gate. I have a Muncie M22 in my 69 Vette and have never missed a shift (with the stock shifter installed no less) . I have missed shifts in the Viper though..

Yes but which one stops people in the street to gaze upon it's glory?

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes but which one stops people in the street to gaze upon it's glory?
The Viper only because they are far and few between BUT, I still get my rocks off when I drive the Vette and I have owned it since 1982. Bought it 2 years after I graduated from high school... Guarantee you would enjoy a ride in that car especially when the top is down...

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here it is. I had to move it out of the garage the other day so I could change the oil in my 3000GT

OP
OP
S

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here it is. I had to move it out of the garage the other day so I could change the oil in my 3000GT

I don't like the ride in the c3 vettes but at least you have a vert. Is that your Husky? Now I have had 2 of those and a full blooded Wolfe.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't like the ride in the c3 vettes but at least you have a vert. Is that your Husky? Now I have had 2 of those and a full blooded Wolfe.
That’s Ginger. She is a “Seppala Siberian Sled dog” Shes a Direct descendant of one of Leonhard Seppala’s dog’s. He was known for the 1925 Alaskan diphtheria outbreak Serum Run. We got her from a Mid distance musher here in MA and her parents were the lead dogs. She's awesome!!!

OP
OP
S

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s Ginger. She is a “Seppala Siberian Sled dog” Shes a Direct descendant of one of Leonhard Seppala’s dog’s. He was known for the 1925 Alaskan diphtheria outbreak Serum Run. We got her from a Mid distance musher here in MA and her parents were the lead dogs. She's awesome!!!

Looks like my Husky I had named Bubba. The female was named Tonka and the Wolfe was named Sheeba.

OP
OP
S

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you knew anything about cars, you would understand what you said. But you don't.
I know plenty. Like, you put gas in it to make it go, Like, you put air in the tires so it will roll, Like, you put oil in the engine , etc, etc......Kiss it good night so it will start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang