My solution for Wiring harness problems in Door Jamb

BLWNASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This seems like a common problem for some of us Gen II owners. The wires become faulty through the grommets due to the continuous pulling, bending and stretching they do in the doors.

First off, your wire is probably cracked if things like the speakers cut's out, window won't roll up or down, etc... Solution male female plugs at the wire harness gromet CLOSEST to the car side of the harness. This is where the wires crack, and eventually brake. For me it was the drivers window switch.

The wires for the window switch are solid white, and solid brown. They are on the "bottom" of the harness near the GREEN speaker wires. I am stating this so it will help others save time figuring which wires are which (14 of them!!)

I just crimped on male female connectors and plugged the two back together. Works swell!! BUT, to prevent this from happening in the future I opened the whole a little in the grommets. That is where the problem lies. They are two tight in their. More room will allow for less tension, plus now if they fail I can just plug them back together. I did cut the grommet housing to gain access to all of this. It still easily pushed back into it's holes in the metal.

Whenever someone has a problem like this, note the color of wires so we can create a list of sorts. This might have read a little confusing, :confused: but if you're in this situation it will make perfect sense.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure there's a problem with wires breaking? That's the first I've heard about it. Here's a pic of my wires a few weeks ago. Everything looked OK to me. :D

1421broken_wires_005_Large_.jpg

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So , the green wires are the speaker wires? My door speaker cuts out at full open , but works when closed or almost closed. I will check them tomorrow.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm sure the wires I have in my door jamb harness are definitely inferior - in three instances, I've had to re-splice wires that have broken in the middle (at the point of tightest bend when the door is closed. I lost rearview mirror control and the little light on the door lock initially - that was four wires I found broken and fixed a year ago; then I lost the internal door release - that was three wires I fixed a few months ago; then just this week I lost the driver's speaker - that was just one wire I fixed last night. It is fairly ridiculous, actually. I'm going to go ahead and order a new harness in the next week or two, just to prepare for the inevitable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960