My Thoughts on SRT-10 Coupe

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is anyone else besides me tired of the "merger bashers"? The Germans did this or that, yadda, yadda. Does anyone read the financial pages? Keep up with automotive business news?...Crossfire is all SLK underneath...

Have YOU been keeping up with automotive business news? The Crossfire IS all SLK underneath, BUT the Crossfire is mysteriously 30-40 HP's SLOWER... hmmmmmmm. Oh right... maybe it's environmental requirements. Germen tagged cars fart fresher air than American ones. :rolleyes:

Sure, the Chrysler/American cars are selling well, and the Krauts will get pig rich building them, while laughing all the way to the bank. You see, every john and jane doe will buy better than mediocre cars designed for the masses. It's the high end, and "flagship" cars that gives a company bragging rights. DC will NEVER let an American-tagged car outshine their lower selling, overpriced, money losing, but *superior* cars.

Don't tell me all of the inadequacies of the srt coupe stems from DC playing strategic beancounting, and tactical "government regulatory finagling". DC spent how much building and hyping that overpriced POS McLaren (PinocchioMobile)? No expenses spared, right? And how many have they sold? How smart was making THAT car? Was it for... bragging rights? Why would they want to dilute the Mercedes brand by making an American Dodge Viper far less than half the price but barely a flash slower and infinitely better looking? Wouldn't that make them look pretty dumb to compete with itself? Face it, we're the neglected stepchild.

For the record, Daimler swindled Chrysler into the deal. It was called "a merger of equals". It was really a corporate sucker punch and hijacking. Since you're so up to date on your financial news, I'm sure you know the details of the "merger", and can tell me how many American execs sit on the board now? :rolleyes:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: My Thoughts on SRT-10 Coupe

Guten Tag Herr Fang! Do you have "germen" issues? I read your rant three times trying to decide what you are really hosed about. OK the lesson commences...Write these points down...

No merger is EVER a merger of equals, google HP/Compaq for starters, one side always emerges with the clout. Eaton and Lutz knew exactly what would happen, and I would blame Eaton a lot more for selling out and getting really rich than I would the Germans for agreeing to go along.

I don't think the new coupe is inadequate, from a styling standpoint you really have to stand next to the car, it's stunning, we kept asking for a GTS like coupe, hell we kept yelling for one since 02, and we got just what we asked for.

The Crossfire....Google SRT 6, forget your horsepower concerns.

It does not matter how many Americans are on the board, what matters is that sales are up, profits are up, market share is up, quality is Waaay up with Mercedes technology transfer, which was a major motivator of the deal, and the bottom line is much better.

Market segments....Mercedes and Dodge do NOT share the same segment, the Viper does NOT compete against any Mercedes model, what part of... they want BOTH market segments to shine with their respective cars don't you get?

Regarding that POS McLaren car.....That would have been one nice car, but the price point I heard was upwards of 300k. And would have been the Chrysler halo car, same basic idea as Bob Lutz building that sixteen cylinder Cadillac. Branding and image, just building that concept shows what Chrysler can do as a luxury brand. Has NOTHING to do with Dodge. Different division, different managers, different budgets driving different agendas. Now if DODGE had built it you might say they stole Viper development money from Viper. But Viper development money is supposed to come from Viper sales anyway. A business decision was made to not go ahead with the ME. I think that was the right decision, I think the Firepower will be built and will sell in Corvette like numbers, now this is critical, if they can spread costs of the Viper platform across 25,00 to 30,000 cars they will then have money to throw at a higher end Viper with more performance content. That is exactly how Chevy supported what must be a very expensive upgrade to the Z06, all those regular tupperware containers we see at every light pay for the titanium content in the Z06. There ain't much profit to invest in upgrading the Viper with the proceeds of 2000 cars a year. And each car line must now stand on it's on from a profitability standpoint.

Now if only having 500HP is what is really chapping your buns, look at it this way, it probably costs several millions of dollars just to develop a new intake manifold and or heads. Don't forget all the epa stuff they have to do if they change the motor. And they have said they will be back and be back BIG. I'm happy to have 500HP and **** up to the the Z for a couple of years if they can come back with a smash mouth 600HP+ twin turbo or equivalent, and Chevy is NOT gonna be able to take their motor up much more, nor can they take much more weight out, so in 06 or 07 I'm sure we will be able to put the tupperware back in the cupboard! Heck even if they are faster for two years the score would still be, Viper 15 years, Vette two! :cool:

Auf Wiedersehen, mein freund! :)

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't have a "German" issue. I have a German Supremist issue. Your point previously was that the Germans are so magnanimous that they made the Crossfire and SLK identical. I informed you that you are DEAD wrong. The Crossfire was screwed intentionally to make the SLK look better. All of the auto press knows it, and acknowledge it with a wink and a nod. Your only response was to forget about it... it's not important. Then I'll just assume all of your points are not important since you're not going to stand up for them or admit you're wrong or just uninformed.

The srt coupe is a great car... just not a spectacular car. If the GR-1 never gets built in the next couple years, the srt coupe will definitely be my next cartoy. But only the blind faithful will say that the srt coupe is a no-compromise kick@$$ car. It's compromised on design, weight, components and power. Your opinion will vary on the extent of the compromise. Justify it anyway you want. As it stands now, it is the truth. If I wanted compromise, I could get a Mustang.

All that said, I'm sick of talking about a car that's not even out yet. Let's gather around a fire and sing kumbaya. Heated debates are good. Owning a Viper is better. :2tu:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fang (who skipped debate class in high school) said....
"The Crossfire was screwed intentionally to make the SLK look better."

You think? THAT would make sense for a corporation, what part of "screw" the crossfire and it hurts them too don't you understand? They are ONE combined comnpany.

Fang also said....
"All of the auto press knows it, and acknowledge it with a wink and a nod."

At this point in a logical debate you would prove that by citing a source, I subscribe to every car mag on the planet and I don't ever recall reading that.

Fang also said.....
"But only the blind faithful will say that the srt coupe is a no-compromise kick@$$ car."

Again someone schooled in debate would note that I explained at length WHY I felt it might indeed BE compromised, so we agree on this one. So the logical conclusion I guess is that YOU will now seek out a NON compromised car and have no interest in owning a Viper, my only confusion is why you are here at all, you have made up your mind not to buy and you have an intense dislike for DC in general and German, cough, supremacists in particular. I think that you will be quite happy with the Z06, and you will not have to toss or turn at night worrying that you are contributing any extra DeutchMarks to the supremacists.
TUPPERWARE UBER ALLES! :D

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Schooled in debate? Bwahahahahahahhaha! I gave you waaay to much credit. :p

Black says: "At this point in a logical debate you would prove that by citing a source, I subscribe to every car mag on the planet and I don't ever recall reading that. "

It's impressive you can read Arabic and Aboriginal Taiwanese. The claim that you subscribe to every car mag in the planet bears scrutiny, but we'll let you have your "embellishments" and incorrect facts. Try this...

Nov. 2004. "Sport Compact Car" magazine. Excerpt from review of the 2005 crossfire srt-6: “…but what accounts for the dip in output from the SLK32’s 349hp? The Chrysler PR squad says it’s a difference in calibration to deal with stricter emission standards and a different exhaust system. Having felt this engine scoot the 3240lbs Crossfire, we suspect there may also be some corporate ass-covering going on as they seek to protect the image of Mercedes products.”

See that in your collection? Or does "every car mag on the planet" not include that one?

I don't recall you attributing any of your "facts" to any sources, or are you the god of all things car? No point citing sources now, because if you are such the schooled debater, you should have done that already. Don't forget, you got your facts WRONG, and not man enough to admit it, so you resort to high school debate club antics. Waaaah.... he went over 30 sec. on his rebuttal... waaaah! :rolleyes:

By the way... love your gts. :D

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exceeelent! You are learning grasshopper, Sport Compact Car is not on my car magazine list, not fond of the taste of rice. And funny stuff with the Arabic and Aboriginal Taiwanese stuff, I laughed out loud! And thanks for the compliment on the car, what kind of Viper do you have? You DO have a Viper, right? Or are you driving one of those items in the magazine mentioned above manufactured by one of those Japanese "sumpremacists" :cool:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exceeelent! You are learning grasshopper, Sport Compact Car is not on my car magazine list, not fond of the taste of rice. And funny stuff with the Arabic and Aboriginal Taiwanese stuff, I laughed out loud! And thanks for the compliment on the car, what kind of Viper do you have? You DO have a Viper, right? Or are you driving one of those items in the magazine mentioned above manufactured by one of those Japanese "sumpremacists" :cool:

If I can make you laugh, we're not enemies.

Not too fond of rice either, but there was a good article there of a cf srt-4. And you DID say ALL mags in the globe... a good debater wouldn't resort to exaggerating would he? :p

I just assumed that along with the viper mags, you have stacks of "Hondas R Us" and "Monster Trucks in Rwanda" all over the house. :D

DON'T get me started on the nip supremists... they're in cahoots with the krauts you know? (cue x-files music)

I got a 97gts red/white vinyl stripes... vinyl *****... getting them painted in the summer. Nothing disarms an argument like complimenting the other guy's snake... umm the Dodge Viper kinda snake that is! :2tu:

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Actually the article on the October 2003 Monster Trucks in Rawanda was quite flattering concerning the Germans involvement in DC.

I have a copy of that somewhere that I could scan in. Or you could just sign up for the online version. The fee, when you do the currency conversion, works out to about 11 cents per year.

And, just for the record, I do read every single car magazine and article in the entire world.

Dirk

P.S. For a thorough review on the styling of the new Viper coupe check out the 3rd quarter release of High Performance in the Himalayas. It is written in a local dialect that doesn't translate easily into English and involves many guttural clucking sounds, but the photography, other than the blowing snow, is top notch.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually the article on the October 2003 Monster Trucks in Rawanda was quite flattering concerning the Germans involvement in DC.

I have a copy of that somewhere that I could scan in. Or you could just sign up for the online version. The fee, when you do the currency conversion, works out to about 11 cents per year.

And, just for the record, I do read every single car magazine and article in the entire world.

Dirk

P.S. For a thorough review on the styling of the new Viper coupe check out the 3rd quarter release of High Performance in the Himalayas. It is written in a local dialect that doesn't translate easily into English and involves many guttural clucking sounds, but the photography, other than the blowing snow, is top notch.

Hey! I'm the only stand-up here... SIT DOWN! :D

Oh yeah... My new restaurant is going gangbusters! It's called Nevermore. We serve crows and business is gooood. All of them "The coupe will secretly have a trillion HP" people are suuure grubbin on some dark meat. :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery