my viper is being delivered in the next day or so.I have some questions.

Rossssi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am taking delivery of an 02 acr at my home so I wont have the benefit of the normal delivery explanation.What is the normal delivery procedure?
what comes with the car from the factory?
what can I expect?
any hinds on where to look for damage?
what is the paint quality ?

any-all info would be helpful.thank you,rossssi

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All that comes with a new Viper is the owner's manual..it should be in the pocket behind one of the seats. Do not expect floor mats...they are not standard.

Paint quality itself is pretty good, but fit leaves something to be desired. (All part of the hand-made nature of the car). Depending on the color, you may find thin spots of paint. Under the lights in the garage you may find surface imperfections that look like sanding scratches, etc. Every Viper I had, had these.

Look under the nose first for scratches, in case the car was bottomed out.

Finally, learn the CORRECT way to close the hood to avoid potential problems. Front wheels should be straight ahead, and when you are ready to close the hood, press down behind the scoop with you hands in the striped areas. (You will see a reinforcement underneath) Do not press the hood closed above the latches in the front.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont' think you are missing much in terms of a delivery experience. I knew more about the Viper than the people where I bought my car. I am sure there are a few exceptions to this, but in reality, the best way to learn about this car is:

1. Read the owners manual
2. Watch the Video Cassette that comes with car.
3. Ask questions at this site. (you already did that)

Inevitably, you will have more questions, post away.

I have found all viper owners to be very supportive.

Good luck and enjoy.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive it way more conservatively than you've ever driven a new car until you feel comfortable with it.

Especially make sure you have a clear feel for where the pedals are.

Learn to talk to total strangers.

When people slow down next to you learn to wave.

When people give you compliments learn to say thankyou.

If someone comes up quickly from behind and they are not a policeman they probably don't want to race, they just want to look at the car.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Never ever move the car with the hood in the upper position. It has to be at least low enough for the safety latch to catch or closed. Never be in too big of a hurry to move the car without closing the hood first. It hasn't happened to me, but I did move my car one day with my hood up and John Archer was kind enough to show me what could happen. The tires catch the hood when you turn and will snap a $15,000.00 hood in two. It scared the **** out of me when I looked at what he was talking about.
I will never forget that and will pass it along to who ever is interested in listening.

Sean 96 McViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, live right on the Langhorne/Newtown boarder. You, Matt and I should hang-out some night, we will be happy to answer all your questions. When you get your snake broken in, you'll have to come auto-x'ing with me. It is a safe place to learn the limits of the car...

-Sean

OP
OP
R

Rossssi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sean ,that would be great .
The transporter just called,I will have it tomorrow at1100am.
I just hope it is as described.
What should I look for if that hood was not closed properly?

where would the damage be?

what are some other places to look?

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rossssi-I am only minutes from you-just off Buck Road. Sean's right, we should all get together and BS. I expect to be around the house all weekend. (My Mother is in the hospital so my plans could change.)

Please feel free to e-mail directly ([email protected]) and I can give you phone numbers, etc. I (and Sean too, I'm sure) would be glad to help get you aquainted with your new snake.

You're gonna like the Viper!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never ever move the car with the hood in the upper position. It has to be at least low enough for the safety latch to catch or closed. Never be in too big of a hurry to move the car without closing the hood first. It hasn't happened to me, but I did move my car one day with my hood up and John Archer was kind enough to show me what could happen. The tires catch the hood when you turn and will snap a $15,000.00 hood in two. It scared the **** out of me when I looked at what he was talking about.
I will never forget that and will pass it along to who ever is interested in listening.

Darn, after 8 years of ownership I never knew that about the hood. I must never have moved the car with the hood unlatched. Lucky me! :eek:

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive defensively. Can't say how many times I have avoided contact from others not seeing me or from the gawk factor.

zoomie

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Curious as to the miles - 201 miles, not a lot, but..
with a new warranty, from a dealer ? Did you have it
inspected by a good Viper Tech or body shop ? Carfax
report ? Have your dealer get you the Dodge Service report ?

Never - ever - and this is for all Viper owners -
leave the gas fill nozzle on autofill at a gas station.
They have been known NOT to shut off.. the results
singed/scorched the rear of my 99 GTS, and totalled
it. Texaco and Royal & SunAlliance ( do not do business
with them !) paid me for it (minimal), thus my
2000 GTS.

Take it easy, break it in right.

Join your Pa/WVa club.. bring it out to Chryslers at Carlisle
car show on July 12th.. along with the Va/Md region, the NJ/DE
region...
Congratulations !

Sean 96 McViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rossssi-I am only minutes from you-just off Buck Road. Sean's right, we should all get together and BS. I expect to be around the house all weekend. (My Mother is in the hospital so my plans could change.)

Please feel free to e-mail directly ([email protected]) and I can give you phone numbers, etc. I (and Sean too, I'm sure) would be glad to help get you aquainted with your new snake.

You're gonna like the Viper!

You can contact me at: [email protected]

-Sean

V10 ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: my viper is being delivered in the next day or so.I have some questions

The ACR should also have an ACR manual and an ACR tool for the shocks somewhere in the car.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Re: my viper is being delivered in the next day or so.I have some questions

If you are a perfectionist, who can't live with the idiosyncracies of a hand built car, get something else. (They're not all perfect)

Lubricate your aluminum door hinges, before the doors sag.

Turn your outside mirrors out wide as reasonable, to reduce the considerable blind spot.

Keep your power steering cap on tight, because if the fluid gets on the hot exhaust headers, the car will be crispy/burnt in a couple of minutes. Better to change your ps fluid to Red Line, and also your brake fluid to Dot4, Castrol, or Motul.

Be aware that the rear wheels have a wider track than the fronts do, and when you back up to park, you have to make it look crooked from the cockpit, for it to actually come out straight. If it looks straight while you are sitting in it, it will look crookedly parked when you exit the vehicle! (This phenomenon may be caused by my glasses, I dunno)

Watch you don't scrape your rear rims on the curb, remember the wide rear track.

Remember to take driveways at an angle, to avoid scraping the front fascia.

Follow the excrutiating Arrow break-in procedures, it will make your engine stronger. (This fact has been verified by my imagination)

Take it easy, until you are familiar with how the car puts down the power.

Smile, and wave, at the Civics.

Put a blower on it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine