My Viper is HERE!!!! FINALLY!!!!

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about wednesday afternoon on Pescadero beach (say 2-3PM). We could then drive south to SC or north to HMB harbor to grab beer. They have great pub with fire pits outside. The question is - do we want to give up workweek afternoon? (I know I want.) Let's sync over ***. It's supposed to be sunny and 63.

VIPERTEX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you might have bought my car. I traded a month ago at a Benz dealer in Pa. They had it sold to someone out west I think. If it is good louck with it, and you did get a perfect one....Ordering an 05 soon.

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, Vipertex, I bought it from an owner. Madman, I would LOVE to go and do it this week, but on Wed. I am having the Nav put on. Secondly, I am still "making up" to the wifey about the purchase. I seriously doubt any joy drive with the guys will be in order.....at least for a couple weeks!!!! However, lunch would be good.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I could have told you, Vincent, the world was..."

The NSX comparison is an interesting one. I think that more than a few (because you later see used SRT-10s at BMW and Mercedes dealers) believe that "well, the NSX has two seats...the Viper has two seats...which one is cooler looking."

Then they drive the beast, often not until they are at the purchase point. At that stage, you are either shocked and surprised...or shocked and disappointed.

An NSX is a civil and well engineered (and expensive) sporty car that you can drive to work, use as a daily commuter and listen to NPR (God, help you). But the SRT-10 immediately strikes you as an uncivilized beast. Hmmm, that's what D-C needs to use as ad copy: "The Uncivilized Beast...from MOPAR...who else could have done it?"

P.S. If you do nothing else, swap for the Corsa Track. The sills stay cool, the inside temperature is lower, and the exhaust note is more throaty (throatier?)

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking about the Corsa Trak myself. I don't want to wake up neighborough and also 'quiet' hwy cruising is somewhat important to me. How did your ears and neighborough react:) to that replacement (assuming that gals ears are more sensitive and refined then guys ears:)?

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of the two concurrent mods, 3.55 was the most rewarding.

The cold start on the Viper with Corsa Track is louder but still very throaty.

It burbles nicely (not excessively) on deceleration.

It certainly removes all sill temp concerns and it lowers cabin temp.

It is moderately louder in the midrange; rather a throaty drone. On the highway, it remains manageable but is noticeably louder.

It retains a V-10 sound which I have never felt sounded as cool as a Hemi or 427 Chebby (to each his own).

I would go with 3.73 if doing it again. I would still prefer Corsa Track over the alternatives. I would not remove/replace the cats for increased volume (personally).

Hope that helps a bit. All subjective.

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Alice, hee hee hee, actually, If feel extreme happy and satisfied with my purchase. I had the nsx for 7 years, and was ready to move on. It is the opposite of everything the viper is....which to me is a good thing. I had a C4 vette before and one of the thing I missed most in the nsx is the torque. It is an extremely reliable car though....in the 7 years of driving it, I never had to bring it to the dealer for anything. This viper is my DREAM car! I love it!!!!

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Counselor:

I drove an NSX about three years ago. It was a fun ride. Very civilized; certainly predictable and non-threatening. It was a cool looking Honda (in reality).

Most non (Viper) owners would assume that the SRT-10 is this powerful but docile grocery-getter that one can also race. Ford tries to present the GT-40 in that manner.

The SRT-10 is a challenging car...first challenge is getting in without making a grunting noise.

Glad you like the car (what color was it?) and what are you planning to do to it?

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
THe challenge of ingress and egress, you are right, Alice, even with short people like me, I still grunt getting in and out. My 75 year old father had to be helped getting out of the car after a test ride. My car is red. I am still enjoying it...no plans on options yet, except for maybe k&n tube. With extremely helpful advice from Final GTS, I am putting in the RB1 GPS. Will let you all know how it is.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The K&N is a straight forward, few minute process. I also recommend the Corsa Track, not only performs better but lowers sill temperature.

I went 3.55 rear; would prefer 3.73 unless you plan engine mods.

Red is a good color...get yourself some Zaino products.

If you just want to play with doo-dads for awhile, MGW aluminum parts are cool. I did not like the color-matched rear emblems and changed them as well.

The short shifter (MGW) is nice but the Hurst shifter (except for their goofy ball) is better.

Over Christmas, you may wish to lower it, change wheels and tires, add a Paxton and a pair of fuzzy dice.

Alice (HEMOTOX)

Krazy PSI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vincent, Congrats on your new toy!!!! :2tu:
----------------------------------

2003 SRT-HEFFNER TWINTURBO "1040RWHP&1135RWTQ"
1999 DIABLO VT-HEFFNER TWIN SUPERCHARGED "620hp&740tq"
2005 MERCEDES CL65-HEFFNER MODIFIED&TUNED "650HP&830TQ"
2005 MURCIELAGO ROADSTER-HEFFNER SOON TO BE TWINTURBOED
2005 AUDI S4 CABRIOLET HEFFNER RS6 ENGINE CONVERSION (WIFES CAR)
2003 HUMMER H2 HEFFNER WHIPPLECHARGED/6SPEED TRANSMISSION CONVERSION

Rapid Transit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Over Christmas, you may wish to add a pair of fuzzy dice."

Vincent:

Congrats on the beast, I'm happy for you that you've found your dream car. Now don't neglect your kids and wife and sleep in the garage OK?

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, Vipertex, I bought it from an owner. Madman, I would LOVE to go and do it this week, but on Wed. I am having the Nav put on. Secondly, I am still "making up" to the wifey about the purchase. I seriously doubt any joy drive with the guys will be in order.....at least for a couple weeks!!!! However, lunch would be good.

Hey Vincent, here's how to make things up to her properly:

"Honey, if you join me on a joy drive with the guys you won't have to miss me, that way I am including you in all the fun I am having. Besides, after the drive we are gonna have a sociable meeting at a pub or something, and during that meet we won't necessarily have to talk about our cars but it can be about any subject. That way we are both having fun."

Now go and convince her :2tu:

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ArmorGod, I PM you. Do you still have the K&N? I am interested. Willem, thanks for the advice; it's actually the 3 kids that we have and finding a babysitter that is the problem. :) )