My Viper Ownership Experience ***** So Far - Need Some Words of Encouragement

05SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 2005 vert with 33000 miles on May 2nd. I turned down the extended warranty with the intent to find one upon my return home from the 500 mile journey. Within 2 weeks, it threw a bearing, and had to buy a new (used) engine. I agreed with the local dealership (Bob Brady Dodge, Decatur, IL) to order an engine with 10K miles on it from eBay for $6K. They called me the next day and told me they found another one for the same price, but with 13K miles, elsewhere. I didn't agree to buy that one, but they had already ordered it. The advantage was that it had a 6 mo. warranty. A week later, they called and told me that the engine arrived, but it was a 1995!! So, we ordered the one that I asked for the 1st time. Another week passed, it showed up, but nobody thought to order exhaust manifold gaskets. Another week passed, and the car finally went back together. Now there's a very loud tick who's frequency is proportional to RPM. But no matter, because the clutch slave cylinder is leaking. Another week passed, and the cylinder arrived--Oops! Wrong one. Another day went by...cylinder arrived, and car went back together. Today, I pay out of my butt and bring it home, ticking and all. During my drive, I notice an obvious loss of power. Upon my arrival, I discover a plug wire with electrical tape wrapped around it, hopefully the culprit for my ~300 HP Viper. The next time I start it, it almost fails to crank. I then notice electrical tape on the main engine harness. Oh, and incidentally, there's a screw missing out of the right side sill. This is all new. I'm pissed, I'm broke, and I made an enemy in a dealership. Anybody have anything that might make me feel better?

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude...I'm feeling your pain...A very bad buying experience...have you got good auto insurance...maybe it could be stolen ;) ;)...and found at the bottom of a cliff :D.

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like the car is letting you down, it's the dealer. All things break, but you've really had a rough go at the dealership.

Since you're in IL, you happen to have one of the best Viper mechanics around at Roanoke Dodge. You're not too terribly far given the extreme circumstances of your situation. If you need a true expert, I can put you in touch with John Gastman and we can get that car to Dave. I'm CERTAIN they'll get it all worked out... you should see the stuff we bring them off the track! PM me if you need help, I'd be glad to get involved and try to call in a favor.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're also about 600 miles from Woodhouse Dodge in Blair, NE. It would mean having the car shipped there. But there, you're in good hands with Mark.

Sorry to hear all your troubles.:( Does sound like a dealer problem.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EITHER of the 2 dealerships, Woodhouse or Roanoke, would be THE place to take that snake.

You deserve to have a **** eatn GRIN on your face going through the gears, NOT all of that.

Please post and let us know what happens!

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad Viper experience so far. I hope it gets better. I'm on my 2nd Gen II Viper and I have had only a few very minor problems.

Shank2117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id have the car shipped to one of the above dealers.

if that dosn't help, sell the car.

just make sure you let the buyer know whats wrong with it, or else he'll just buy the car and joint he forums and say the same ****

I have been having a few problems with my car, nothing major like yours and mostly everything being covered by warranty, but lately its been sitting more at the dealer then in my garage.

OP
OP

05SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I discovered another symptom today that should help. It has an aftermarket exhaust system, which of course eliminated the crossover. I noticed this morning that the left side exhaust pops very loudly upon releasing the throttle, and it sounds pretty rough at idle. The right side purrs (as well as a Viper can purr). I'll investigate this weekend.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I discovered another symptom today that should help. It has an aftermarket exhaust system, which of course eliminated the crossover. I noticed this morning that the left side exhaust pops very loudly upon releasing the throttle, and it sounds pretty rough at idle. The right side purrs (as well as a Viper can purr). I'll investigate this weekend.

I would investigate the side that purrs first, that sound more abnormal;)

OP
OP

05SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The popping is much louder and more frequent than before this debacle started. The right side might be doing it too (purring was a bit of an exaggeration), but I can't hear it over the left. I'm wondering if I have an exhaust leak, and if so, what's the best way to locate it?

Reaction score
If an 02 sensor is bad and richening up that bank you would get more popping because of the excess fuel also. Pull a valve cover and check the rocker arms. I have also seen a stuck valve on one we had and once we found it and fixed all was well. FWIW.

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you should be getting some codes, have you checked?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if my story wasnt so long id type it to make ya feel better, trust me it can be MUCH worse....

hang in there

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if my story wasnt so long id type it to make ya feel better, trust me it can be MUCH worse....

hang in there

Ditto :omg: Since Nov./07. ALMOST bought a Fat Albert 700 HP naturally aspirated build with dyno sheet in Jan./08. for $18,000. Now, over $40k later, I had it running nicely until a head gasket blew. How hard, and how many times a day do you think I kick myself? :buttkick::buttkick::buttkick::buttkick:

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
to the OP,

Things can be much, much worse. Be patient...things will get worked out sooner or later. There are not 100 things that can go wrong with a car, nor a car that can stand 100 things to go wrong with it... ;)

OP
OP

05SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I meant to quote mjorgenson from the above post, but I forgot to hit the button.
I'll take a look under the valve covers this weekend. Incidentally, I'll be in Omaha for a couple of days next week. Unfortunately, I don't have the means to tow the Viper.

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I meant to quote mjorgenson from the above post, but I forgot to hit the button.
I'll take a look under the valve covers this weekend. Incidentally, I'll be in Omaha for a couple of days next week. Unfortunately, I don't have the means to tow the Viper.

U-Haul can provide a single car open trailer if you have a vehicle to pull it. You will probably need to give them a few days to get it unless you happen to live near a large franchise.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like your dealership mechanic is not so good. Get it to one of the places mentioned.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to just have a good Viper tech at Woodhouse go through your car thoroughly, clean up the botched motor transplant and then restore your faith in the car. It is the best money you will have spent thus far.

OP
OP

05SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to believe I lived in Omaha before moving to this Viper-forsaken place in 2007. What was I thinking? I might just need to pay a visit to Roanoke instead.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, there's no sugar coating for this, bro, that just *****, really sorry, bogus dealerhip for sure. Try to hang in there ... hey it can only get better, right! Um, right?

The first think I think of from you describing a tick that increases with rpm & exhaust popping is an exhaust manifold leak. But from what you've experienced, it could be any freakin thing, I'd really not like the electrical tape on the harness, etc. Good luck, I hope you can get to a good dealer.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
05SRT said: "I bought a 2005 vert with 33000 miles on May 2nd."

Questions:

1. From whom did you buy the car?

2. Did you look at its maintainenece history before you bought it? Did you have the car carefully inspected before you bought it? After all, it did have 33,000 miles on it. If so, who did the inspection? If, not, did you buy the car "as is" or was there some remaining warranty of some type?

3. The part of your post about the extended warranty does not make sense to me. The car is an 05. You bought it in May of 09. Unless it was on some type of extended warranty already, an 05 would be off of warranty by May, 2009. I may be mistaken but I do not think that you can get a legitimate, reasonably priced extended warranty if a car is already off of warranty.

4. I do not think this is a description of a bad Viper experience at all. It sounds like it is a description of a bad purchasing procedure that has nothing to do with the type of car involved.

5. How much did you pay for the car? If the price seemed too good to be true, it seems that it was.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten