Mysterious leak around oil pan. I have tried every suggestion thus far. Please help!!

ViperperfectionGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:dunno:**This is a continuation of a previous thread that I created. I cannot figure out how to delete the previos thread (if that is possible at all). I received many suggestions as listed below. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.... PLEASE!!!

1996 GTS

Oil appears on the four back bolts of the oil pan. I have tried the following:

Hey guys,
The leak continues around the 4 bolts on the back of the oil pan.
Thus far we have:
Replaced the oil pan gasket twice (and sealed the screws)
replaced the rear main seal twice. Second time we thread locked the bolts.
Inspected the cam plug (which is dry as a bone)
Threadlocked the three bolts around the cam plug (which were dry)
The I drove the car home at low RPM's & no leak was present. I took it for a quick ride & shifted around 5k rpms a few times to get the pressure up & the leak is back. I cannot find the issue...Any other ideas??? I really appreciate the sugguestions thus far; as proof of that, I have replaced or sealed every bolt & replaced every item that you recommended. Any other ideas?

Thanks!!

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Mysterious leak around oil pan. I have tried every suggestion thus far. Please he

Maybe the oil an is pourus enuff to let the oil seep through it. Have seen this on diesel trucks.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Mysterious leak around oil pan. I have tried every suggestion thus far. Please he

Check that ALL the bolts for the oil pan are torqued to spec.

Check the CCV lines for kinks/blockage.
If you have a catch can setup, empty it and clean it out.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

By this do you mean that you replaced just the rear main seal or the rear main seal and the u shaped gasket that seals that plate that holds the rear main seal?

The gasket is known to fail and cause the very problem you are describing. Low RPM= Low oil pressure and no leak, High RPM = high oil pressure and resulting leak.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My '01 RT/10 (sold) had the same problem. It turned out to be the timing chain cover gasket.

OP
OP
V

ViperperfectionGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

By this do you mean that you replaced just the rear main seal or the rear main seal and the u shaped gasket that seals that plate that holds the rear main seal?

The gasket is known to fail and cause the very problem you are describing. Low RPM= Low oil pressure and no leak, High RPM = high oil pressure and resulting leak.

Regarding the rear main seal: I replaced the plate that has a large round opening in the middle. There is a gasket in the center of the plate which is round. Once I replaced the plate (twice) we threadlocked the bolts.

Did I miss something?

Thanks to all, sincerely.

OP
OP
V

ViperperfectionGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bad News guys,

I just returned home from the shop & it looks like the leak may be a result from a hairline crack in the block. They are running dye through it as we speak. I sure hope we are wrong. It is located directly above the rear main seal plate. I'll keep you posted...Im not gonna get much sleep tonight.

Thanks again for your help thus far.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Seal Assembly is Item #4
The Rear Main Seal alone is Item #5
The Rear Seal Assemby Gasket is Item #6. This is the one that I was referring to.

[media]http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/rear-seal.JPG[/media]
rear-seal.JPG

Last edited:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bad News guys,

I just returned home from the shop & it looks like the leak may be a result from a hairline crack in the block. They are running dye through it as we speak. I sure hope we are wrong. It is located directly above the rear main seal plate. I'll keep you posted...Im not gonna get much sleep tonight.

Thanks again for your help thus far.

Good luck, I hope that it is not the block!

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had the same problem with my 96 B/W. Never could figure it out. Did not go to the extent that you have, but it always leaked and had oil residue all over the right underside. Really frustrating. Good luck in resolving it.

REDBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As stated above, the oil pan can be porous and allow oil to seep out. My original pan on my '98 had this problem and the first factory replacement pan did too.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As stated above, the oil pan can be porous and allow oil to seep out. My original pan on my '98 had this problem and the first factory replacement pan did too.

I also had the leak issue on my 1998. It was the pan. After Siliconing the bolts,teflon taping and sealing the bolts,changing the pan gasket and siliconing the pan gasket.
I replaced the pan with a newer year pan with more capacity,so it wouldn't be a total loss,and it never leaked again. I still have the old one. Dodge would not give me an exchange though the car was still under full factory warranty.:mad:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I also had the leak issue on my 1998. It was the pan. After Siliconing the bolts,teflon taping and sealing the bolts,changing the pan gasket and siliconing the pan gasket.
I replaced the pan with a newer year pan with more capacity,so it wouldn't be a total loss,and it never leaked again. I still have the old one. Dodge would not give me an exchange though the car was still under full factory warranty.:mad:

Was / Is the porous pan a problem for only the 1998 model year?

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ViperperfectionGTS, What was the outcome of the test? Is the block cracked?

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Was / Is the porous pan a problem for only the 1998 model year?

Could be. The problem I ran into was that the 1999 pan was deeper and many guys wanted the upgrade. The dealer thought I just wanted a newer pan,though they couldn't fix the leak. Most people refuse to believe it is actually the pan. I had mine on the lift in my garage and checked it everyday for a week until I was convinced.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21