Mysterious Overheating Problem - Please help

mjguflaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully someone more knowledgable than my dealer can give me some advice. My 2000 GTS has started overheating in heavy traffic, which eventually means that I have to pull over. When I look under the hood, the fan is clearly not working. If I turn the car off and the ignition to the "on" position, which according to my owner's manual, should cause the fan to come on, again nothing happens. The problem is when I take it to the dealer, they can't duplicate the problem or tell what it is. When they hook it up to the diagnostic computer and go through all the system checks, everything looks fine. Is there something obvious here that the diagnostic computer doesn't check and is the likely culprit? Suggestions/help/info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and happy holidays.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did they check the fan relays? Also, when I first got my 2000 RT/10 I had a bad temperature sensor that partially worked, but it gave very low readings to the computer, so the fan didn't come on until my car got hot. The fan should come on at about 210 degrees.

Hope this helps.

chadebarry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had two 2000 R/T 10's and both of them had to have water pumps replaced. They were covered under warranty. The problem that they had was that the water pump impeller would break loose from the shaft and would maybe catch some of the time. Both of mine were consecutive vin #'s. They think that they had a problem with a few of them in 2000. Hope this helps.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The impeller issue Chad mentioned is something to keep an eye on but it doesn't appear to be the case here.

I'm having the same problem with my 97 GTS. My fan is good and the relays are good but the fan still isn't kicking on. I'm going to look at the temp sensor next.

Let us know what you find out.

OP
OP
M

mjguflaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow. Based on the responses I'll definitely ask them to check the fan relays and the temp sensor. On the water pump, pardon my possible ignorance here, but would a failed water pump keep the fan from coming on? The problem here seems to be with the fan or the mechanisms that cause the fan to come on (i.e. temp sensor). Any other suggestions would be appreciated, and I'll let you know what happens. Thanks.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On the water pump, pardon my possible ignorance here, but would a failed water pump keep the fan from coming on?
Maybe if the impeller broke off, the water would stop flowing, keeping the "cool" water in the radiator, and the sensor would be picking up "cool" water and not turn the fans on. I do not know where the sensor is located on a Viper, but if it is on the radiator, maybe this could happen...
Keep us posted.
Cheers,

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that the temperature sending unit is on the engine side of the thermostat, if I recall correctly. So if he's seeing a overheating condition on his temp guage, that is probably working correctly.

tommygun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ANOTHER THING TO CHECK IS WHETHER THERE IS ANY AIR IN THE SYSTEM. IF THERE IS AIR IN THE SYSTEM, AND IT FINDS ITS WAY
TO THE TEMP. SENSOR, IT CAN SCREW UP THE FAN SENSOR. THE SENSOR FOR THE FAN AND THE GUAGES IS SEPARATE. THE SENSOR CANNOT REAR AIR TEMP, ONLY LIQUID TEMP. IF IT IS IN AN AIR POCKET IT WILL READ COOLER AND THEREBY NOT TURN ON THE FANS.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Jon B. at Parts Rack (360) 837-3937. He can give you a quick opinion and a great price if you need parts. Be aware of the 3-hour time difference, however.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Run the car until warm, and see if the fan relay is coming in. If it doesn't come in, your problem lies "upstream" ie temp sensor, coolant bubbles.

If the fan relay DOES come in, but the fan doesn't turn, try swaping the relay with a good one. If that doesn't work, the fan motor may be toast.

Those are just some quick easy checks. The next level of effort would involve using a meter and the wiring diagram. Always try the quick easy checks first! Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The temperature sensor is located on the front side of the driver side engine head. it is "below" the Throttle Body on that side, and it screws downward into the head, kinda like a spark plug. has one connector on the top of it.

It is perfectly possible it is your culprit, as the temp sensor is ACTUALLY 3 sensors in one. meaning, the one single unit contains 3 separate sensors, which all do the same thing (technically...) one controls the gauge, the second controls the computer, and the last controls the "high temp light" in the gauge cluster. If perhaps the computer section is faulty, the gauge and light would work, but the fan would get screwed up.

basic list:

-bad sensor
-bad fan motor
-bad computer
-bad wiring-(maybe the fan only works in HIGH speed...?)

A water pump is possible too, but that would not affect the fan... in the case of a water pump, the fan would be on, but it just wouldnt make any difference.

OP
OP
M

mjguflaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The temp sensor was replaced and the fan seems to be working ok for now. Thanks to all for the advice. It made things a lot easier to tell the dealer "you need to check this, this and this" per your suggestions. Happy holidays.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog