Near Miss

JetMec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last weekend I was almost demolished by an errant gravel truck. Luckily the only damage I received was a windsheild scratch on my new (to me) 96 white blue striped snake. You should have heard the scream when one of the little evil demon rocks bounced from his out of control gravel truck as he rounded "deadmans corner". A friend of mine was a good distance behind us when the gravel truck barrelled across the double yellow toward me then over corrected into the dirt in front of my friend. I know the guys driving the gravel trucks have a job to do, and they must be pressed for time because this isn't my first run in with them, but thats no excuse for wreckless driving. Now I have to find someone to repair a bad scratch in my windshield which just happens to be in my direct line of sight. Any suggestions?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For repair advice, search for "Pete, the ex-glass guy."

As for gravel trucks and truck drivers....

I own about 100 trucks - 50 tractor-trailers and the rest straight trucks. I carry a Class A Commercial Drivers License (CDL) with Tanker and Haz-Mat ratings. Generally speaking, I can't stand truck drivers or their attitudes. Lots of times, I find myself wishing that manufacturers would build the driver's compartment down at car level so they woudn't have such a nose-in-the-air arrogant/obnoxious attitude about hogging left lanes and ruling the road.

That said, don't be so quick to judge until you've had a taste of their job and their perspective. All those jerks who drive passenger cars that you and I gripe about (incompetent, unaware, slow, lane hogs, etc...) really make it difficult for trucks. At least CDL drivers have to have annual physicals and take rules tests every 2 to 4 years. Do you?

Gravel doesn't always come from the truck - there are between 2 and 5 times as many tires on the pavement, and just that many more chances for one of them to kick up a stone laying on the pavement. That's called a normal road hazard. That's why we buy insurance.

Rant Mode OFF.

Merry Christmas!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way to cover all the bases Dean.
laugh.gif

I just wish everyone would stay out of MY lane.
smile.gif

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you get his license #? If you did and file a complaint, his insurance should cover it. I have seen this done before. If it was gravel from his bed then you should be compensated. Thats what he has insurance for!

OP
OP
J

JetMec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTSDean Thanks, I'll look that up. Yes I do have a CDL. I drive a truck for FEDEX and I am always pressed for time. I know all about "those other" drivers. The fact is we all share the road. Some better than others. I'm just tired of replacing windshields! I have replaced 3 windshields since I moved to this area. If it weren't for his wreckless acts I wouldn't even be bringing this up. He was out of control. On the other hand, everyone else on the road is always the idiot... right. How many times have you said "Now there's a polite driver?" I'd guess its more like "Look at this *****." We CDL drivers need to be much more careful than your average driver is. Thats why we are more heavily scrutinized when applying for a CDL.

jcaspar1 I have never gone after those companies for damages, but next time I will. I live near a gravel pit and have seen too many of these guys blatently disrespect other drivers. Thanks for the motivation.

Jason & Gerald sorry for the confusion. I just meant the way he was driving could have made the situation a lot worse than a scratched windshield... HA HA HA I just got it Jason. A near miss is a hit isn't it! What a card. I feel so slow. I sure could use some good weather. MY CURRENT LACK OF VIPER TIME IS MAKING ME SLOW. That's my story...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery