Need a good shop in San Diego for 3.73 gear install

SD SRT Coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good shop in San Diego for installing 3.73 gears. Quality of work is extremely important to me since I don't want the gears to whine or my rear end to blow up. Thanks

viperrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I need anything significant done to mine, I take it to DC Performance. Drive up and take the train back. Actually makes for a nice trip.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
SD SRT,

After much experience, I would not recommend installing non-factory gear ratios in an SRT without changing the diff from the OE hydro-lok to a Quaife. There is a reason that SRT has changed the diff in the 08 Viper. Search the forum for SRT rear diff failures. Most of them occured in cars with a gear change. I've had many diff and gear set failures - so have others. My three Vipers all have the OE 3.07 gears and Quaife diffs.

On the driveability issue, 3.73's are so low that you would be constantly shifing. This might sound like fun initially, but it isn't over time. Forget about tracking the car with that gear ratio. Trying to power out of a turn would be made much more difficult and you'd be in 5th gear more than you'd want to be.

If you decide to do this any way, DC can do the install and so can Unitrax.

We're having a dyno day at DC performance on July 14. Check out website for details: www.socalviper.com

Come on up and meet the folks at DC and some of our local Viper guys.

Some of us will also be at the Carlsbad Auto Show this Saturday June 30, 2007 from about 7:00 to 9:30 AM.

Dan:usa:

Jackson06SRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SD SRT,

After much experience, I would not recommend installing non-factory gear ratios in an SRT without changing the diff from the OE hydro-lok to a Quaife. There is a reason that SRT has changed the diff in the 08 Viper. Search the forum for SRT rear diff failures. Most of them occured in cars with a gear change. I've had many diff and gear set failures - so have others. My three Vipers all have the OE 3.07 gears and Quaife diffs.

Dan:usa:

Sorry to hijack the thread with a question but I was wanting to do 3.55's and from what you said as long as I do the Quaife at the same time I should be ok right
thanks,
Brian

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Brian,

Yes, do the Quaife. These Quaife diffs are warranted for life against almost everything including racing. Just change the fluid at regular intervals as you would any diff and you're good.

They will help you control the car better in every cirumstance from a road course to the drags and are all gear units, no clutch pack to wear out or slip.

I really wish Dodge would use these in the 2008.

Dan

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another option would be to use Unitrax in Anaheim. They probably put in more rear gears than anybody, and can also offer the Quaife installation. These people are the rear gear experts. Call Jerry or Devin 714-630-4327. With an appointment they are often able to do it while you wait.

2nd option is to go to Murrieta. A&C performance can not only do this but also regular maintenance and high performance upgrades. 951-696-0500. Ask for Mike or Todd.

Might even check in with Dave Cawthorne of Dave's big brakes. He is in Rancho Bernardo and has lots of contacts for this type of stuff. 858-382-4713.

I agree with Dan that the rear ends have been kinda a weak link. Seriously consider the Quaife. Even if just using it for the street. Much better equipment.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960