Need Clutch / Slave Cylinder Help!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought that exact clutch from that same eBayer for that price, it's in the car and fine. Comes with a new release bearing, which I didn't know, as I had bought one already. The only thing was that the plastic alignment tool was too sloppy in diameter, couldn't get the transmission nose through, and had to restart and center the disc by eyeball.

OEM slave cylinder 5037357AA usually in stock at Chuck Tator's. $300, minus 20% VCA discount = $240. They don't look repairable; the rubber seal that slides up and back has a metal ring crimped on it to act as a hard surface to push against the release bearing. The metal ring distorts, *****, becomes partial bent and when it's bent up enough, won't allow the rubber seal to hold liquid.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch Tom, great info!

GB

Don't confuse the slave cylinder with the release bearing.

The slave cylinder connects to the clutch pedal. I have ordered a slave cylinder before, when what I wanted was the piece that goes on the tranny input shaft (release bearing) heck I'm still not sure of the correct name :confused:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True; the "bearing" that traditionally creates a rattle when disengaged and makes for a rough pedal when engaged is available separately from bearing supply stores. I have the number somewhere; I think around $35? In a hydraulic clutch application there is a large low tension spring that keeps it slightly against the pressure plate fingers, consequently it may not rattle loudly like old fashioned mechanical release bearings.

The slave cylinder is the "pusher" and attaches to the front of the transmission and leaks :( When ordering the slave cylinder, you get a release bearing in the "kit."

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar "technical names" and part numbers

4642581 BEARING, Clutch Release, Clutch Concentric Slave (piece on tranny)

4642666AB ACTUATOR, Hydraulic Clutch (piece that goes through firewall)

Tom, what I was saying is that when I ordered a "slave cylinder", they ordered the actuator, what I really wanted was the BEARING, Clutch Release, Clutch Concentric Slave. That is good to know that the bearing can be purchased seperately.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some day someone will search for this....

The clutch release bearing all alone:
186PDR_0184-med.JPG

The slave cylinder that attaches to the front of the transmission:
186bearing_1-med.jpg

It comes with a release bearing. Notice the spring that keeps it against the pressure plate fingers.

The hydraulic actuator that attaches to the firewall:
186clutch_master_cylinder.jpg

I accidentally laid the reservoir over the end of the rod that attaches to the pedal, so it's a little harder to recognize. The wire is for the clutch safety switch.