Need help adjusting the hood!

eliems

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The hood closed perfectly when I bought the car this summer but has been gradually going off center and now will not close properly as it is encountering the fascia at the passenger head light. (See pic) Also the gap on the drivers side is bigger and touching on the passenger side now. It actually cracked the paint above the pass headlight closing it last night!

There are supposed to be 20 adjustment points to this? The local Kirmac Collision shop says they can align any hood but should I let them?

How do you adjust such a large hood a fraction of an inch by your self anyway?

You must be registered for see images attach

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably one of the rubber stops off the front has vibrated itself loose and moved. Check to see if they turn easily and if so they need readjusting. Also check the latches to make sure they are solid and hose them with a little WD to make sure they are fully moving when closing/latching.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The hood / Lights / Fascia is NOT that difficult to adjust / align. Year?

HOWEVER: Many owners close their G1-2 hoods incorrctly and cause the breakage you highlight. (your hood IS off, but closing it wrong makes it worse)

To close the hood you should align your hands / palms / fingertips atop the transverse support that the hinges are bolted to. ie if you have a NACA, your hands are aft of the NACA. Close the hood in ONE, Smoothe, Ka-CHUNK motion.

If your hands are foward of that support, you'll flex the hood and it will hit the headlights and break / chip as yours has. If you stop mid-close, and then push each latch down, that bends the hood, too.

Last edited:

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, you align the hood to the doors and side sills. Next, you align the cowl cover to the hood. Next, you align the fascia to the hood. Then you fit the headlight buckets to the hood/fascia. Lastly, you aim the headlights.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought a gen2 hood would fit a gen1. Having only owned gen1, I don't know for sure.... That one def needs some work!

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my fascia off last year for a re paint and it went back on with no issues. I also had the hood off later that year to do the timing chain cover gasket. It was removed from the arms which were left in place. All lined up well but lately I have noticed more of a gap above my passenger HL than I like to see. In reading and searching my **** off I found this post useful.

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/583184-front-fascia-alignment-other-issues.html

Notice Deans example as he pointed out in this post.

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hood / Lights / Fascia is NOT that difficult to adjust / align. Year?

When I purchased my 02 ACR it had the infamous hood gap problem. The gap on the driver’s side is much larger than the passenger’s side. There’s nothing in the Service Manual on adjusting it. I have done a search and found bits and pieces of information in some threads. Is there detailed information on fixing the gap problem somewhere?