Need help on differential removal

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having my differential rebuilt but am having issues on getting the half shaft removed from the differential. I found an old post on the differential removal on here and they just used a prybar but I am having no luck with that method. I read another post where they mentioned Miller Tool Kit #8846, however, I could not find that tool. Others have mentioned a slide hammer. Thanks for any help

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just follow brooms steps for differential removal
#1. plead and beg with it to cooperate. #2 kick and swear. #3 apologize to it for being so mean. #4 beat with hammer. #5 apologize again. #6 have a beer and ponder on anything else for 15 minutes. #7 load it up and take it to a mechanic.

NMviperguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my viper the rear started making noise right before purchase, turned out to be a bad shaft.... The dealer couldn't remove it from the rear end with their endless supply of tools and ended up having to replace the diff for the shaft... Good luck.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I had the same problem when I was taking my diff out. The one side popped right out and the other just wouldn't come loose. Tried all sorts of screwdrivers and stuff to pry it out with no luck. Really didn't want to pull the suspension apart, but finally gave in and got stuff out of the way so I could get a straight pull on the shaft. I braced myself to yank on it as hard as I could and the thing just pupped right off and just about sent me rolling backwards across the garage. Seems like applying force in a direct line with it works better than trying to pry at the base. Worst case maybe get a friend to keep pressure on the shaft at the base with a pry bar while you pull on it.

OP
OP
N

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you removed the C-locks that hold the shaft in?

Frank

No, did not want to take the 1/2 shaft boot apart. Per my research, taking the clips off is not necessary.

I will try the slide hammer idea this weekend.

Dave1968

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try some good old WD-40 on the shaft where it disappears into the housing. The little "keeper" ring is probably seized a little. A quick sharp pull should work better than a pry - thus the slide hammer effect.

OP
OP
N

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was finally able to remove the differential. The slide hammer did not work either. I purchased a ball joint fork but then had to use a press to expand the forks out then grind some more for it to fit around the axle shaft. After a few hits with the sledge hammer, they separated. I sent the differential to unitrax to have it rebuilt and 3.55's installed. It only took them 1 day to rebuild the diff and it is back in the mail / FYI: Cost to have it rebuilt with a wavetrac was $2,500.