Need help programing keyless entry

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just bought a new alarm key fob for my 02 GTS. I would rather not take it to the dealer to have it programmed. Here in Miami it kills my whole day to go to the dealer for anything.

I searched previous posts for instructions on how to reprogram them. What I found were instructions on Gen I's and 96-00 Gen II's. Does anyone know what different to do for a 02.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What makes you think there is a difference?

Should be able to follow the GENII instructions.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Bill...here's Ron's original post...noting that I personally do NOT know if a 2001 and 2002 are different from other Gen II's...seems to me that it would be worth trying as outlined. PLEASE let us all know the outcome.

FROM Ron:

"
By popular demand:
1. Ensure the alarm system is not armed.

2. (1996 ~ 1998 GEN II) Ground pin C13 loose green wire taped to harness of EEM connector, which is under dash mounted on the left side of trans tunnel, directly above accelerator. Easy access if you remove knee bolster and rubber bungee cord that holds EEM to tunnel.

2A. (1999 ~ 2000) As #2, but instead of C13 you're grounding Terminal 1 of the DLC. (since I have a 1996 GTS, I have no clue what a DLC is)

2B. (ALL GEN I) Ground green "Program" Wire located next to SAM and RKE modules. Is a green wire with a bullet connector on end. Is located under driver's side instrument panel.

Hint, Make sure you're connecting to a solid body ground by testing it with an ohm meter.

3. Turn ignition to run position while green wire is still grounded!

4. EEM acknowledges entry into programming mode by flashing the dash LED. If it doesn't flash, you either:

- Have the wrong wire

- Aren't solidly grounded

- You came off ground after the ignition switch was placed in the run position. Start over.

5. (All GEN II) Press BOTH buttons on the transmitter simultaneously and continuously for 10 seconds. You will hear a triple horn chirp when FOB is accepted by the EEM.

5B. (All GEN I) Press and release the arm or disarm button on either FOB, then same for the next.

Hint: Make sure your transmitter is working, i.e fresh CR2032 battery $1.19 @ Zbattery.com and good clean battery contacts. Many times your problem is an electrically weak connection within the FOB itself.

6. You MUST program all FOBS during the same programming process. You can program up to 4 on a GEN II and I think only 2 on a GEN I.

That's it. Turn the ignition off and remove green wire from ground, then test the arm and disarm functions.

I've done 4 FOBS myself and found it quite easy once you find the green wire.

p.s. Mike,

No there is no pre-programming required. The above instruction cover it

Ron - '96 GTS "

GTSJERRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The DLC is the data link connector, a 16 pin conn. usually under the dash on the drivers kick panel on a genII viper, where a factoy scanner is hooked up for diagnosis.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry,

I found what the DLC was after those directions were launched into cyberspace. No way to correct it now.

When I wrote that how to, 2002 Vipers weren't built yet, however my guess is that they will apply to 2001 and 2002 in addition to years prior.