Need help with MXX3 mfg date

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a stamped oval that has the 4 digit date code - and its week / year shown as WWYY right on the sidewall....

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the tires are more than three years old, the DOT date code will indicate month and year. This was later changed to week and year. It is usually after the letters DOT, example on older tires would be DOT 1297 that would be December of 1997, on the newer tires of 99 or newer it would read for example DOT 2401. That would be the 24th week of 2001. By the way if those tires are older than three years, be prepared for some very poor traction, not to mention the rock hard ride especially if the tires have been exposed to the air and light. As far as when tires changed the way they list the date I'm not sure, but it was around 97or 98.

Skip White

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh crap - I was wrong - the date code on the MXX3s is THREE numbers - WWY - meaning I believe I have some 487, which are 48th week, 1997...

I know they made changed to date codes around 2000 to go to a four digit code....

Sorry - just verified on my stach of MXX3s - and properly stored - Michelin says at least 6 years if I am not mistaken... Our MXX3s have been very kind to us this past Viper Days season.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Janni, you are correct, 6 years minimum per Michelin.

While the hardening issue depends on many variables, it's a progressive degradation that proper long term storage slows significantly. I have a stored set built in 1997 and just checked on them. Not scientific, but they look and feel just like new production tires. The only hint at the fact that they're 5 years old is that they do not have that stong smell of new tires.

</FONT f>