Need help with pedal selection

schorvitz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the ViperClub.org boards and was hoping someone could suggest a product to me. I want to know what pedals to put on the Viper to make it possible to heel-toe the brake and gas pedals without having to "twist" my foot so that my toes are pointing to the driver's door and my knee is torqued under the steering wheel
wink.gif

There are so many options out there that I really don't want to start experimenting. I'd rather hear how others have solved this problem and find out if there is a "standard" solution for the pedal setup.

Thank you everyone in advance!

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got some after-market pedals from a local car parts chain. It has a little offset on the gas pedal to allow for easier heel-toe shifting. Onlt thing is with the wide tennis shoes I had on- I accidently hit the gas pedal while I was hitting the brake pedal coming up on a stop sign because the edge of my shoe just caught the edge of the gas pedal. Not too cool to accelerate unexpectedly when you are applying the brakes. Needless to say I drove straight home and took them off.

OP
OP
S

schorvitz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anthony - 98 GTS:
I have a set of Momo pedals.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Viper just arrived today. The Roe Master Cylinder and new brake pistons did just what I hoped they'd do. They raised the brake pedal so that 100% braking still happens _above_ the gas pedal. Now my only problem is the distance between the brake and gas pedals. I'm sure I can find a "fatter" brake pedal to fill this gap.

How do you like the Momos? What model number are they?

OP
OP
S

schorvitz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, I decided to sample.

I just bought the Racing Dynamics (BMW company) _automatic transmission_ pedals. The brake pedal is the only one I plan to use to start. It's much fatter than the stock brake pedal. Unfortunately it may be too fat (time to hit the grinder). I'll drive around with it for a while and provide my results.

OP
OP
S

schorvitz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by schorvitz:
Ok, I decided to sample.

I just bought the Racing Dynamics (BMW company) _automatic transmission_ pedals. The brake pedal is the only one I plan to use to start. It's much fatter than the stock brake pedal. Unfortunately it may be too fat (time to hit the grinder). I'll drive around with it for a while and provide my results.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Racing Dynamics automatic tranny brake pedal was too big. I've switched to momo "tuning pedals" for the clutch and brake and will probably "trim down" the racing dynamics gas pedal. I still need to lower the brake pedal and will do that tomorrow.

OP
OP
S

schorvitz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check this out!

You must be registered for see images

I have been messing with different pedals and setups and finally found one that I am extremely happy with. I took the MOMO clutch and brake pedals and a Racing Dynamics automatic transmission BMW gas pedal to start. Then, needing to do something to make the gas and brake pedals line up better I took my car over to Robinson Racing where they machined an aluminum box that is bolted to the gas pedal and the Racing Dynamics pedal is rivited onto the aluminum box (see side view).

Finally, I messed around with the length of the "brake rod" that pushes into the master cylinder which controls the travel of the brake pedal. After about 15 attempts (and a couple of times where the rod was too long and I was skidding to a stop in regular traffic) I got it just right.

Anyway, I was at Road Atlanta last Saturday to test all this out. This car is SO easy to double-clutch now! I can keep my right foot in a "normal" position now, where as before I had my foot turned WAY left to hit my heel on the gas pedal which was WAY below the brake pedal. It was awesome to have my car on Road Atlanta - even though it rained
crying.gif

Looking forward to hear what everyone has to say about my pedal setup! Also, I posted this picture on a different thread:

it shows how I also had Robinson Racing install a "third" return spring to make the gas pedal feel more responsive. It really did the trick!