Need new tires - anyone use BF Goodrich T/A?

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
I blew a tire this weekend.

Since it's about time to replace my tires anyway, I'm going to replace all 4 on my '99 RT/10.

As far as I can tell, the original Michelin Pilot Sports are no longer manufactured, and have been replaced with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.

I've read reviews about them, and they seem to be a good tire, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried the BF Goodrich T/A KDW 2 tires.

They are a few hundred cheaper for a set of 4, have a better looking tread pattern, but have slightly lower ratings in most categories, but still seem like a good tire.

Has anyone used them and care to chime in?

Also, does anyone know of a good tire shop in South Miami to do the mounting and high speed balancing, who won't do something awful to my rims in the process?

Thanks!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i use them on a lot of vehicles but not the viper. theyre too hard. traction will be worse

ACPERFORMANCE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use them on the fronts only. BFG KDW2 .. Its the ONLY tire I have found to COMPLETELY eliminate the "viper tracking" when you go over road grooves or imperfections in the road. Not quite as good as a michelin in the turns, but 100 times better on a straight of the freeway or whenever the roads have grooves in it.

I run Hoosier on the rear

Todd

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have them all around. Probably 8K miles so far. Love them. All four mounted, forced variance balaned for $1400. Needed very little weight to balance. When hot, the rear hook great so far..and I'm running a 10 PSI ROE set-up. No drama, surprises ,or issues to report. Wear is great..actually surprising given how hard I drive it on the street.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have them all around. Probably 8K miles so far. Love them. All four mounted, forced variance balaned for $1400. Needed very little weight to balance. When hot, the rear hook great so far..and I'm running a 10 PSI ROE set-up. No drama, surprises ,or issues to report. Wear is great..actually surprising given how hard I drive it on the street.

Ditto... I've got em on all fours with a 5# Roe and have had no probs. There are better tires yes. Stock you can certainly run these with no problems.

:usa:

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
The main complaint I've read about them is they are supposedly very, very loud in regards to road noise. Confirm/deny?

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Also, for the people running drag radials in the rear and street radials up front, how does it handle in the rain? I'm liking the idea of that setup, as my car was modified by DLM and getting traction on a hard take-off can be rather challenging...

However, I live in Miami, and often find myself driving in rainstorms, so I have to consider that before throwing slicks on the back.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, for the people running drag radials in the rear and street radials up front, how does it handle in the rain? I'm liking the idea of that setup, as my car was modified by DLM and getting traction on a hard take-off can be rather challenging...

However, I live in Miami, and often find myself driving in rainstorms, so I have to consider that before throwing slicks on the back.

I live in Houston same problem.

Pilot sport cups are on my DLM car. On my second set, hook up great & no problems in the rain.

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Heya AJ,

Just wanted to pose a quick scenario, as this happens quite often on Miami highways.

We tend to get very intense rainstorms, and it often causes standing water in certain places on the highway, so it's not terribly rare to hit a 1/2" - 1" deep puddle on I-95 or the Turnpike at highway speeds. Hitting this with Michelin Pilot Sports is not much fun, but I haven't lost control, either. In that same scenario, with Cups, would hydroplaning be inevitable?

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for road noise I wouldnt know. I drive with the windows down or the top off plus I dont have cats or muffs.

I doubt you'll notice what all the whiners call road noise.

:usa:

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heya AJ,

Just wanted to pose a quick scenario, as this happens quite often on Miami highways.

We tend to get very intense rainstorms, and it often causes standing water in certain places on the highway, so it's not terribly rare to hit a 1/2" - 1" deep puddle on I-95 or the Turnpike at highway speeds. Hitting this with Michelin Pilot Sports is not much fun, but I haven't lost control, either. In that same scenario, with Cups, would hydroplaning be inevitable?

I think you would a little, I have not hit 1" of water in them that I know of. I go easy in the rain but I do not usually get into heavy rain.

1/2" I have no problem with. The problem with the tire is cost vs. miles per tire.

With 857 rwhp, its the only tire I can use effectively. These things stick! Very predictable, no suprises.

Thats all I really care about for my driving.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No road noise issue from my perspective...I would think it depends a lot of the surface of the road. Atleast from a recent Interstate highway documentary I just watched regarding road noise mitigation techniques and the causes for road noise...

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
The problem with the tire is cost vs. miles per tire.

Due to my line of work, I travel most of the year, and as such, don't get to put many miles on my car. In the last 5 years, I've only put 16,000 miles on it, so only a bit over 3,000 miles per year.

As such, I was thinking I could get away with Cups because even with Pilot Sports I wind up replacing them after a few years just because the rubber starts to harden.

So I'm figuring I could have more fun with the car using Cups without a significant rise in cost-per-mile due to my lack of putting heavy miles on the car.

My main concern is hydroplaning, as I stated earlier, I often get caught in rainstorms because of where I live.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the input. Big help in making the decision :2tu:

Zrxpilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have ran kdw's for a couple thousand miles now. Bought them new. They seem like a decent tire and I like the pattern. Price is reasonable. Have nothing negative to say about them

When I bought my gen 2 wheels they were on pilots that didnt look that bad. Front grabbed every crack in the road to the point it was dangerous to drive. Figured it was because they had existed beyond their intended life. Anyways, new tires and the problem went away.