Need Opinions on Chroming H Spokes

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys....I have been kicking the idea around about Chroming the H Spokes. I realize that you can chrome just the outer part of the rims (the part that is now polished) or chrome the inners and everything. I know the rotors and calipers are really close to the rim so should I worry with chroming the inners? I have seen pics of some of the members wheels chromed and they look great. I can't tell in some of the pics though if you did the whole rim or not. Any suggestions? Or better yet pics both ways....:dunno:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had three sets of wheels chromed by LA Tire and Wheel. The full wheel, inside and outside. They look great, approximately $700 per set of 4 plus shipping. Turnaround time was about 2 weeks.

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These H wheels were done from Calchrome, I did not do the inners and still look great because i was not going to waste my time cleaning the inners when they are going to be dirty after every ride anyway with brake dust and I even have a lift, I think chroming the inners are a waste unless you are showing the car.
just my thoughts..
100_0490_2_.jpg

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic...looks good! If you don't mind me asking, how much did Calchrome charge you for doing the outer portion?

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you do the wheel exchange or just send them your wheels to do?
I don't think you will be able to do an exchange on the H wheels. Those wheels are not common enough to stock for exchange. I was at their facility last October---maybe things have changed, but I doubt it. They are a first class place to do business, and if I were getting my wheels chromed, they would be my choice.

Bill

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, they show the Viper exchange now. They have the 2010 Viper SRT10 for $1295 plus shipping. That is more than most people have said that they spent? I wonder if it is different pricing for different wheels. I will call them tomorrow and talk to Blaine.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their website show wheel exchange, but they do not have any H wheels to exchange, I have been checking with them every couple of weeks

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. They seem to be cheaper than Cal Chrome? Any pics??

I will try to get some new pics posted. I know everyone here seems to use CalChrome but when I checked they were almost 50% more expensive that LA Tire and Wheel. Again three sets chromed including inners and outers for a little over $700 a set. I'd call both before making a decision. Could be the H spokes are more expensive. I've had two sets of 5 spokes and one set of 6 spokes chromed.

7-LITRE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, they show the Viper exchange now. They have the 2010 Viper SRT10 for $1295 plus shipping. That is more than most people have said that they spent? I wonder if it is different pricing for different wheels. I will call them tomorrow and talk to Blaine.

that was the going rate when i had my '03 wheels in chrome a few years ago. they had a listing on ebay for $900 so i got in on that. they needed a $3k deposit until they recieved my wheels in return. wheels came out amazing. i just emailed them back because i want to go matte black now. make sure you remind them about the center caps, as they forgot mine and initially tried to charge me $160 for not sending mine in. all cleared up now though.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a pic of one of my 5 spokes on my 08 vert and a shot of a 6 spoke that I'm about to put on my 06 coupe. I've seen wheels chromed by both Calchrome and LA Tire and Wheel up close. I doubt you could tell the difference. Go with whomever you feel more comfortable with and who offers you the best price and turn around time.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

SBMIANO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my 09 six spoke done by calchrome. Had the inner barrels chromed along with the srt logo on the wheels highlited in red. New chrome lugs as well with shipping $1650.00

The key is a five year warranty as well. You get what you pay for.

Loks great.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need more pics of the chrome 5 spokes!!! No one ever posts them :(

Also, I believe a little bit of clarification is needed on the chroming of the inner barrels. I doubt that they only chrome just the face of a one piece wheel. The entire wheel is chrome plated, but as far as polishing out and smoothing out the barrels before chrome plating it, to give it the same smooth mirror like finish as the face of the wheel, that would be extra prep work, and is not what gbatejan has on his wheels. A porous non-prepped part that has been chrome plated, will not look much shinier than a very shiny paint.

SBMIANO, can post pictures of your chromed inner barrels?

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just talked to LA Wheel & Tire....they told me $624.00 + shipping of $100.00 each way from NC to CA....total $824.00 :) Not bad! This is for triple chrome finish on the entire wheels and 5 yr. warranty. I am waiting to hear back from Calchrome. I believe in you get what you pay for, but from what I have seen this is alot cheaper than Calchrome....I have to ask why? :dunno:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just talked to LA Wheel & Tire....they told me $624.00 + shipping of $100.00 each way from NC to CA....total $824.00 :) Not bad! This is for triple chrome finish on the entire wheels and 5 yr. warranty. I am waiting to hear back from Calchrome. I believe in you get what you pay for, but from what I have seen this is alot cheaper than Calchrome....I have to ask why? :dunno:

Yea that's the question. I checked the prices at CalChrome and they were a lot more expensive. Not sure why. LA Tire and Wheel was clearly cheaper, easy to deal with, offered quick turnaround, and the results are great. By the way while the inners are chromed they are not prepped or polished like the outer rim. Hope whomever you chose does a great job for you. Post up pics when you get them back.

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I still have not gotten around to doing this :rolleyes: I was wondering, does anyone know of a good shop in FL that maybe does this? I have trucks that run down to FL every week so I could save alot on shipping. I talked to LA and to Calchrome and like their prices, shipping is crazy to CA though.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Here you go. The chrome is sooooo shiny, it is hard to show in pictures:

cal_chrome_5_spoke_Large_.JPG

Turbo_Front_Chrome.jpg

I did not have the inner barrels done as I did not think it was worth the extra cash since you cant see them anyhow. To me the difference is night and day and I would not wait one minute if I was thinking about doing it.

We need more pics of the chrome 5 spokes!!! No one ever posts them :(

Also, I believe a little bit of clarification is needed on the chroming of the inner barrels. I doubt that they only chrome just the face of a one piece wheel. The entire wheel is chrome plated, but as far as polishing out and smoothing out the barrels before chrome plating it, to give it the same smooth mirror like finish as the face of the wheel, that would be extra prep work, and is not what gbatejan has on his wheels. A porous non-prepped part that has been chrome plated, will not look much shinier than a very shiny paint.

SBMIANO, can post pictures of your chromed inner barrels?

SBMIANO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Di my 09 complete wheel barrel, issue with keepin the inner barrel clean, had calchrome do it. about 1650.00 including shippin both ways and chrome lugs. The reason the are more expensive is a 5 year GUARANTEE and they seem to do it right.

Shipped the wheel and tires and they rebalanced them as well.

Time frame was a little shotty and had to stay on them but they cam out great.

BillionDollarDan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
These H wheels were done from Calchrome, I did not do the inners and still look great because i was not going to waste my time cleaning the inners when they are going to be dirty after every ride anyway with brake dust and I even have a lift, I think chroming the inners are a waste unless you are showing the car.
just my thoughts..
100_0490_2_.jpg

LOVE IT

I'm going to have to add this to my "to do" list. Right after the Roe TT.

And I think I've mentioned it before, but you, sir have impeccable taste on the SSG with H wheels. Reminds me of another guy I know

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960