Need ownership advice

verc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking between a 996tt, z06 and SRT-10 and I think it's boiling down to hassle of ownership.

I've got a buddy who daily drives his 06 z06, put 15k miles on it this past year and it's holding up fine.

I've got another buddy w/ an '01 996tt and he says oil changes are $300, that the engine needs to be dropped for maintenance so he "can't do it himself", and that the 996tt doesn't drive as well as the 993tt he used to have.

Now I arrive at the Viper, how do you guys compare the livability of this car with the above two choices? I'm strongly a DIY guy and I enjoy working on my cars, I always do my own work and take the car for 30k and 60k inspections to have a professional assess the health. Am I going to be slapped with $20/quart oil and mystic coolant/fluids for the viper?

Thanks in advance for the replies

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do a search and you'll see tons of Viper vs. Z06. Its a Viper forum,so were probably all here for a reason. Many have one of each. SOme say Vette is easier to drive every day. Viper will be more fun though and turn more heads in my opinion. Its unique.
Oil change is about $85 for parts, I get 11 qts Mobil 1 and a filter from dealer. Very easy car to work on, everything is so simple and right there. Bulletproof car, get the Viper and start driving.

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never owned or driven a 996tt or Z06, but currently own three vipers. I spend about $140/oil change at the dealer with recommeded synthetic oil. Other maintenace has been resonable when needed. Oil change could be a DIY if you have the ability to get under the car. Parts can be costly (Viper Tax) but I don't think anymore so than other comperable cars. My opinion is the gen. III cars are much friendlier for daily driving. The big difference between the choices you listed are that "car guys" will notice the Z06 or 996tt, but everyone will notice the viper. You can't stop at a gas station without drawing a crowd. As someone on the board said "it's like being a Rock star". Good luck with your decision.

------------------------------------------

1997 GTS B/W
2004 SRT10 Mamba
2006 SRT10 VCA Coupe

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It also depends on the definition of liveability.

In terms of driving everyday, comfort, luxury, tooling around city streets with ruch hour traffic, various weather conditions, I think it'd be hard to argue the Z06 isn't better - or best super hi performance combo.

But .. the viper is sooo different. To me the Viper is as raw as you'd want to go, right on the edge of race car like, with just enough radio, comfort, AC, etc to enjoy the car even if you're not stomping on the gas.

If you can find a club or someone near you that would take you around in the Viper it would really help. For me, the Viper is the perfect sweet spot of rawness and street comfort.

Dave

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had an '06 Z and the engine went boom at 14k miles, tranny went at 14.1k miles, roof was recalled for repair.

The Z requires 8 qrts synthetic, so about $90 at the dealer for an oil change.

They aren't all daily friendly.

I happen to like the uniqueness of the Viper. Not as many on the streets as a Vette. And, I like the rawness more with th Viper.

Yes, the Viper is my daily driver. so was the Z

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I daily drive a Gen II (when the snow doesn't fly) and I really don't find it to be an issue at all and love it. I'm not sure why there is a "stereotype" on the Viper not being a good daily driver. It's a Viper for crying out loud and you don't expect it to feel like a Caddy. I hear that Gen IIIs are even better as daily drivers so if you are looking to experience a sports car and aren't looking for creature comforts and a Caddy ride, you're in business.

Best of luck on your future purchase.
Santo

3SRTsandGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold my Z06 to buy my '05 SRT10 Copperhead. Personally, the Z06 was a better daily driver mainly because of cabin temps (i.e., when wearing pants to work it gets a little warm in the Viper). FYI, I live in FL. However, I absolutely love my Viper whereas I liked the Z06. In fact, I bought a '98 GTS to drive every day and reserve my SRT10 for weekends and road trips. This past weekend a buddy of mine bought a C6 Vette. We drove to the dealership with my two Vipers. It took the sales staff more than 30 minutes to pay attention to his desire to buy a Vette because they had so much interest in the Vipers. I received a handful of compliments on my Z06. The attention the Vipers receive is unbelievable. After a long day at the office, it's great to get thumbs-up and smiles on the way home. Best of luck with your decision.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hard to add much to the above.

I came out of a C-5 and now own three Vipers. One for the track, one for the street / strip and one to cruise in.

I know eveyone can't do this but any one of they would work as a daily driver, is easy to work on and extremely attention getting.

Good luck,

Dan

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also daily drive a Viper, in fact I have put over 20,000 miles on it in the first year. However we live in a mostly rural area, and as much as I love driving the Viper, if it was going to slog through hours of rush hour traffic like in LA, one of our Jags would be pressed into service.

As far as reliability, I haven't had any issues, and that includes about 10 days of track sessions.

Highway driving renders surprisingly good mileage (20+ MPG), but city driving drops that to about 10 MPG.

Insurance isn't exceptional, perhaps because I have a good driving record and cover 6 cars on the same policy, or perhaps because the insurance man is a personal friend (and fellow Viper driver).

As others have mentioned, everybody loves the Viper. The part about young boys loving it isn't surprising, but I have actually had a couple of guys who were about 70 come up and want to ask about the car, all the while expressing their appreciation of it.

The Viper community is exceptional, and every single event has been a lot of fun, without a lot of BS, just fun loving people having a good time.

When I bought it, my wife was not pleased (to put it mildly), but after attending a couple of Viper events, she has totally come around. Now when we go out she actually prefers to go in the Viper.

Of course my 8 Y/O son thinks it's totally cool.

Regards,
Mike Dolan

Back-In-Black

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My brother has the 996 and just paid over $400 for an oil change. Also, he had an issue with the radio and other electronics that fried when the dealer jumpstarted it (battery failed), meaning that the electric components can't handle surges well.

As far as DIY, unless you have the time and means to drop the engine for scheduled service, the Porsche will visit the dealer much more than the Viper.

The Porsche has its style, but when we drive together, no matter where we go it is my Viper that gets the attention. The Porsche almost is ignored.

As for Corvette.... I drove a C-5 for a year, and as young as I am (33), I felt like an aging baby-boomer in a sea of un-unique bow-ties. Plus, my wife made fun of me in the Corvette... called me the "Old Man".

Viper Commands Respect. Get it.

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned 3 Corvettes and a SRT-10. The Viper is by far the best of the two cars in that its so much more fun to drive and if you are looking for recognition on the street- the Viper certainly wins out. Although if I were primarily commuting and sitting on a freeway most of the time I would probably give the nod to the Vette. Just as Mustangs can be seen at every intersection, Corvettes are not much better. Good luck in you decision.
I copied this quote from a previous thread. I think it says it all about Corvettes.

Reasons why a Vette is better...

• You don’t have to fight a crowd to get in and out.
• Computer controlled traction and suspension allows you to nap while driving.
• Built-in navigation system to entertain bored passenger.
• Roomy seats allow driver to wear his fanny-pack
• Automatic transmission means your 15 year old can borrow it for his driver’s test.
• Low door sills make it ideal for senior citizens.
• Good EPA fuel rating will get you a free Sierra Club membership and discounts on granola.
• Fixed roof will hide your bald spot.
• Impress your boss by owning the same type of car his wife drives.
• You can sneak around town totally unnoticed.
• No one asks how much it costs or how fast it goes

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, you can't nap in a Viper. The car does require you to pay attention.

Not, that it gets away from you, I tend to be more aggressive while driving it.

Or, for all the people that set in your blind spot starring at your car the decide to race you as you're trying to change lanes.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most well rounded daily driver - the 996TT - all wheel drive, nice interior, comfortable and dependable. The most fun - definitely the Viper. I have had both and currently still own the Viper.

OP
OP
V

verc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very cool replies.

The SRT10 also seems to have stabilized in its depreciation unlike the z06, I'm feeling good about this car! Thanks guys, I hope to be meeting those of you from the SF bay area in a few months.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very cool replies.

The SRT10 also seems to have stabilized in its depreciation unlike the z06, I'm feeling good about this car! Thanks guys, I hope to be meeting those of you from the SF bay area in a few months.

There are alot of us in Bay area. We have monthly meetings in San Jose. People come from all over the bay. Had about 30 Vipers and probably 100 people at out last meeting/dinner. If you get one, contact any one of us. You will really enjoy this club. Good luck in your purchase.

OP
OP
V

verc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O actually few more questions for the daily drivers out there

1. Paint/body/trim/glass resistance to the environment? (rock chips and the like) Any issues with clear bras?

2. 7 year extended warranties for the '03/'04s worth it? Seems to be only a couple thousand.

3. Tires: http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Michelin&tiremodel=Pilot%AE+Sport+PS2 about 1200 a rear set sound right? how often do you go through these?

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O actually few more questions for the daily drivers out there

1. Paint/body/trim/glass resistance to the environment? (rock chips and the like) Any issues with clear bras? No different than any other car. But, the paint quality is higher than what was on my '06 Z.

2. 7 year extended warranties for the '03/'04s worth it? Seems to be only a couple thousand. Can't an extended warranty be bought for any current model?

3. Tires: http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Michelin&tiremodel=Pilot%AE+Sport+PS2 about 1200 a rear set sound right? how often do you go through these? How heavy is your right foot? They are a soft tire but getting 15k out of them can be done. Not by me.

:headbang: :nana:

OP
OP
V

verc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see, good to hear. The paint on my WRX was very thin and fragile - there wasn't so much rock chips as dirt sized chips on the bumper.

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see, good to hear. The paint on my WRX was very thin and fragile - there wasn't so much rock chips as dirt sized chips on the bumper.

The Z has an known orange peel problem, as most GM cars do. In the right light I could see through the Z's paint to the body panel below.

The Viper smooth as a baby"s bottom.

k4site

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own both a 02 TT and a 05 Viper. I perfer to drive the viper on short runs in nice weather with the top down. But the porsche on longer runs and on the highway. If you want a daily driver there is no question which car I would drive the PORSCHE

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dont think the PS2's are out in our size yet, though that website shows them. They also seem very high on pricing. There is the same size tire on their site i bought for another car and they are like $ 150 a tire higher. I got a set of PS2's in 235/40/18 and paid $220 a tire, their price is $388.

I figured stock tires would run about $380 front and $450 rear on average.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96