Need Recomendations for a Radar/Laser Detector

Greg B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Was Looking at a ****** Passport SR7 + SR7 Laser detection. Is this difficult to install? can you see the Laser sensors mounted on the vehicle? How does it mount inside the car? Are there better ones out there?

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Valentine 1 is the best i've ever used. The directional arrows are awesome ant not overrated in my opinion. I love knowing where the signal is coming from.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you want one that can be moved car to car i would pick the valentine1 'for sure'. ive been running the valentine since 99 and have avoided hundreds of tickets with it.

if you want one that is more stealth & hidden there is the k40. it is installed into the vehicle bumpers etc. i will be testing the k40 in the next 12 months but as of now have no experience with it.

if your state uses laser there are other options, and a detector isn't the best one. you need a powered diffuser / detector. by the time you get hit with a laser (which is the same time you can detect laser) its too late.

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2 cents would be the Bel65. I have the latest and greatest version and have had several over the years. However ZDigital1 really recommends the Valentine and I am considering it for the Viper and leaving the Bel in the Denali. I hate swapping detectors from car to car since I only have 2 Bel detectors and 4 vehicles.
My wife doesn't need one so 3 detectors will be enough. The only reason I did not try Valentine thie last time I bought a detector was I had heard that the technolgy in the Valentine was obsolete and the Bel was a better detector. ??????? Maye it is and maybe it's not. If anyone has more info to help sway me would love to hear it.

ACPERFORMANCE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use the SR1, was the system prior to the SR7. I LOVE IT. Its the best addition to my car. It has saved me COUNTLESS times. The SR7 is prices but if its anything like the SR1. Youll be very happy.

658rwhp for 8000 miles and not one ticket!

Todd

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V1 by far.... Passport second choice (I have both)... Bell falses too much, Solo is worthless IMOP. (just think of a flashlight with fading batteries).

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The V-1 paid for itself the first trip I took. The arrows are second to none, and it's a wise investment. It uses phone cable insted of a coil cord, so you can get a cord in different lengths anywhere and it's cheap. I got a refurbished unit and it was a little cheaper.

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed the V-1 and it is awesome. Out on the open road, everytime it went off...sure enough, there was a Cal. Highway Patrol....Luckily none were after me!

Installation per one of the posts on this site was sooooo easy and very clean looking inside the car.

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack this thread slightly but I bought a Valentine 1 prior to returning to the UK from California. My car is still in transit from the US but I was wondering how easy it is to fit the Valentine 1? Can it be done oneself or should I get someone with experience in fitting electronic equipment in vehicles?

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
V1. Hardwired it on the snake and my truck.... will never buy anything else :2tu:

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used both the Bel Pro RX65 and the V1 simultaneously (in the same car) for the past couple of months. I like the Bel better. It has fewer false alarms than the V1, and identifies threats at distances comparable to the V1. I haven't found the arrows on the V1 all that helpful. The only time the V1 is clearly more useful is with multiple threats, but the frequent false alarms (even in smart logic mode) negate this benefit, IMHO. Both are great detectors overall, just fewer false alarms with the Bel...

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Most guys here seem to use Valentine One. I dont use
one at all because I'm afraid I'll get overly confident and
if it fails at some crazy speed, I'm toast

The primary mission of mine isn't to avoid radar traps - its
to find cops period. As cops slowly move to laser and instant-
on detectors really aren't filling as much purpose as they used
to. My V1 easily made its money back when I was cruising RT50
over the MD Bay Bridge and a nicely modified Mustang GT pulled
up beside me. My V1 went beserk so I backed down into traffic.
Suddenly the Mustang lit up like a bad Travolta movie and
proceded to hunt down a passing SUV. Now I know Maryland cops
drive Mustangs... my V1 taught me that the easy way.

If nothing else it will teach you where cops like to hide.

CO GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You learn a V1. It's like a well used tool; you can hear it "speak to you"....there is a cop up there. False it may, more than some perhaps, but I would feel naked without it. None compare IMO.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You learn a V1. It's like a well used tool; you can hear it "speak to you"....there is a cop up there. False it may, more than some perhaps, but I would feel naked without it. None compare IMO.

I agree!!! I won't use anything else in my car. V1's are the best period.

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The V1 is worth it's weight in gold! It's saved me a ton, and the directional arrows and bogey counter are useful.

Cal

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go here to read test reviews http://www.radartest.com/. I bought a Whistler cordless radar detector (1788 also called XTR-280). It stays on 100% of the time unlike other cordless radar detectors. Works great and no cord is even better. Rated the best cordless on radartest.com for under $200 read review . Sells for $119.00, but I got mine on ebay for just $68 new with shipping.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V1s since 1994. Currently have 2. One point not brought up (again) yet .. is the fact that V1s can be upgraded for less than 1/2 the cost of new. The most I have paid for an upgrade is $189, and that was for a unit about 4 yrs old. ....for that upgrade price he sends you a brand new unit.

Throw in the arrows and all the other good stuff with a V1 and it's the unit to have.

Steve

jaydoc1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep, my V1 will pick up automatic door openers wwaaaaaayy farther away than my Bel RX 65. It just doesn't pick up cop radar at any longer range than the Bel. I do like the arrows though.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep, my V1 will pick up automatic door openers wwaaaaaayy farther away than my Bel RX 65. It just doesn't pick up cop radar at any longer range than the Bel. I do like the arrows though.
Door openers run on the same frequencies as police radar, so, this implies it would indeed pick up on cop radar at a longer ranger than your Bel, at least on this frequency. Perhaps you are comparing X-band (most door openers) to K or Ka band.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62