Need Some Help (possible heat problem)

JETSTAR

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Do you know what the a/c pressures are should be 40 on low and around 220 on the high if the pressure is over 250 on the high side the condenser can get pretty hot make sure the condenser is clean it will cause all your problems and these cars are like vacuum cleaners

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The two things I was leaning towards was either the gauge was slightly off, because when the car is shut off it never drops down to the 100 mark, which would make me think that it is reading a little higher then what the car is at. Also because when I had the OBD II hooked up and it read 214 the gauge was sitting at the 225 line, if that's correct ? not sure what that line should be as far as temp goes.

There is a simple test in the SM to check the gauge, I tried to screen shot it but I could not get it to work. Basically with ignition on, engine not running, connector at temperature sensor disconnected the gauge should read cold. Same condition and ground pin 1 should read max temp. Kind of a cheesy test...

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you know what the a/c pressures are should be 40 on low and around 220 on the high if the pressure is over 250 on the high side the condenser can get pretty hot make sure the condenser is clean it will cause all your problems and these cars are like vacuum cleaners

I can check it later today, just got back into town.

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was going back over some things today and remembered that when I was testing the fans that I never shut off the AC. So when doing so the fans did not kick on unless the AC or defrosters was on. I went to the auto parts store and picked up 3 new relays (even though the ones that were in the car looked fine) replaced them and took the car for a drive, well it seems the car ran slightly cooler around town but would still get close to the line before the 250 mark. Still no leaks and the coolant is full, I guess next thing to do is a system flush unless there would be something else to consider before doing that ?

The fans know turn on for both low and high speed.

FYI for anyone needing to replace the relays, Advance Auto sells them for $5.99 a piece and Auto Zone sells them for $15.99 a piece.

Thanks
Jeff

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another update. I drove the car a good bit today after replacing the relays to see if the fans (now working correctly) had fixed my issue. Well it seems there is still a problem with my car running hot, what is different now with the fans working is the temp gauge will still get close to the 220 line but drop back down to the 190 line, all while driving in town or on the highway. What makes this different now is before I fixed the fans not turning on was when the temp gauge read 220 it would stay there and not drop back down to 190 unless I drove on a highway for at least 5 minutes without stopping, but the minute the car had come to a complete stop the temp would rise back to the 220 line.

So my question is, why now that the fans work would my engine temp fluctuate so much no matter the driving condition ? I feel like there is something I am missing to locate this issue but cant put my finger on it.

If I am unable to think of anything else or possibly find a solution in one of the many threads about cooling issues, or if anyone has any more feed back I will be taking the car to a radiator shop to see if they can locate my problem.

Thanks
Jeff

ViperRed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another update. I drove the car a good bit today after replacing the relays to see if the fans (now working correctly) had fixed my issue. Well it seems there is still a problem with my car running hot, what is different now with the fans working is the temp gauge will still get close to the 220 line but drop back down to the 190 line, all while driving in town or on the highway. What makes this different now is before I fixed the fans not turning on was when the temp gauge read 220 it would stay there and not drop back down to 190 unless I drove on a highway for at least 5 minutes without stopping, but the minute the car had come to a complete stop the temp would rise back to the 220 line.

So my question is, why now that the fans work would my engine temp fluctuate so much no matter the driving condition ? I feel like there is something I am missing to locate this issue but cant put my finger on it.

If I am unable to think of anything else or possibly find a solution in one of the many threads about cooling issues, or if anyone has any more feed back I will be taking the car to a radiator shop to see if they can locate my problem.

Thanks
Jeff

That's because your 190F thermostat is doing its job. I'm assuming you have a 190 thermostat installed? The water pumps kicks in to keep it the temp at 190 when it overshoots it. That's all.

I have your same issue right now and just opened a new thread before checking here.

Sorry for reviving an old thread.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude