Need Some Help (possible heat problem)

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am in need of some help/advice with my 2000 GTS.

The problem that I am having is my temp gauge has been reading higher then normal, also since I have noticed the higher temps my A/C has not been as cool as it once was.

Things I have tried -

recharge the A/C

Put new Radiator cap on

Check for leaks

Check/Fill over flow tank

Make sure heater is working

Inspect/Clean radiator

Put clamps on all the lines (just to be safe)

Checked the line and valve that opens and closes the heat/AC

Things I have not done -

Replaced thermostat

Replaced Water pump

Flush coolant (its been about 2 years)

Replace sensor for temp gauge (was replaced 2 years ago)

So at this point I don't know if this is a overheating issue or just a bad gauge or sensor, I have taken some pictures to show what the gauge is set at during different conditions.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is while driving on the highway and where it was before this issue

For some reason I am unable to upload the other pictures. My gauge now sits at the line between the picture above and the 250 redline.

The other photo was to show where it sits when the car is off, which is the line between 100 and the first of three middle lines.

Any help or input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, definitely I can say that the needle on my gauge sits just to the left of the 100 mark when the ignition is off and the engine is cold. That makes me think that you have a gauge issue and not a sender issue.

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score

This is where my temp gauge sits at when driving (excluding high way) and at idol. Also it does go a little higher at time, closer to the line.

I will see if I can figure out how to upload the 3rd picture.

Last edited:

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the same issue, make sure the overflow tank is properly filled. My car runs super cool after new pump and flush. Actually a friends 360 broke down from our crazy heat wave a week ago and I was ice cold in traffic.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you have access to OBDII that can read "real time" diagnostics? You can check actual coolant temp (based upon what the sensor is reading, if it is accurate)

ttamez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^ check those relays. you didn't mention anything about checking the fan operation

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, definitely I can say that the needle on my gauge sits just to the left of the 100 mark when the ignition is off and the engine is cold. That makes me think that you have a gauge issue and not a sender issue.

I was thinking that may be the case or the sensor, all though being that the sensor was replaced 2 years ago I was leaning more towards the gauge.

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has any coolant spewed out of the overflow bottle in the front fascia. High temp readings and some overflow were my issues that led to replacing the water pump. Here is my thread...
Coolant leak...

Not that I have ever noticed. I did have to add some coolant to the overflow this spring, but I thought it was because the car set for almost a year.

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
do you have access to OBDII that can read "real time" diagnostics? You can check actual coolant temp (based upon what the sensor is reading, if it is accurate)

No but maybe after work I can take it to the local auto store and have them read it.

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all of the help :)

Hopefully this will point me in the right direction to what is going on with my car.

I am just hoping that I can figure out what the source is without replacing many parts on the car.

Thanks
Jeff

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just read through the 2 linked posted, thank you for sharing.

But my issue is different then both of those situations. My car does not have any coolant leaks from the overflow, I have been checking every day since I noticed the possible issue. Also the level has not dropped since I added to the overflow.

Next would be my car will hit that temp with normal driving or spirited :) and it also will hit that temp at idol after a few minutes.

One other thing that I did notice and forgot to mention was that with my A/C, it will work great when I first start the car but after I would shut her down and then start back up the A/C would not be very cool. This is with a fully charged system.

Thanks
Jeff

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had some pretty bad storms today, so I will try to take my car to advance auto tomorrow and have them use there OBDII to see what temp are being read.

I am hoping it is just the gauge going bad and not the pump or something worse.

Thanks
Jeff

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was able to read my engine temps with a OBD II yesterday and the highest it showed was 214 while the gauge was reading much higher.

It was a little higher then the picture.

So does this mean that the gauge is bad ? or is the car running to hot ?

Thanks
Jeff

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, if the sensor is accurate (probably is), my guess is the gauge is the problem. Nice to know though, coolant temp is right. I think OE 'stat is full open at 208*, and hi speed fan kicks on at 208 and/or when AC is turned on.

Doesn't appear to be off too much though. That hash mark is 220, no? what is the +/- margin of error?

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well, if the sensor is accurate (probably is), my guess is the gauge is the problem. Nice to know though, coolant temp is right. I think OE 'stat is full open at 208*, and hi speed fan kicks on at 208 and/or when AC is turned on.

Doesn't appear to be off too much though. That hash mark is 220, no? what is the +/- margin of error?

For the most part the car ran at around 208 to 210 (A/C on city driving), I had to really heat soak the car to reach 214 then it would start to lower back down. This was done with hard driving to reach max temp then sitting at idol with AC on and giving some gas, so not a lot of air flow. It was very hot out as well during the testing 90+.

Not sure but I was guessing around 220 to 230.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OEM guages are normally not that accurate, it appears the guage is working. I would not recommend replacing it. I would flush the system, change the termostat and see if it changes the temp issue. Might also consider running just distilled water to troubleshoot the issue, that way if it does turn out to be the water pump you didn't waste the coolant.

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OEM guages are normally not that accurate, it appears the guage is working. I would not recommend replacing it. I would flush the system, change the termostat and see if it changes the temp issue. Might also consider running just distilled water to troubleshoot the issue, that way if it does turn out to be the water pump you didn't waste the coolant.

So my engine temps are to high?

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have a Service Manual? They have pictures of what's normal and what's not. Your gauge position falls somewhat in between normal and not normal. I would do the flush/thermostat change as preventive maintenance to see if it helps. Your car has never ran this hot before correct?

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you have a Service Manual? They have pictures of what's normal and what's not. Your gauge position falls somewhat in between normal and not normal. I would do the flush/thermostat change as preventive maintenance to see if it helps. Your car has never ran this hot before correct?

I do not have a service manual.

The gauge has never went that high before, in the past it never went any higher then this picture a side from when the sensor went bad and had it at the 250 mark.

But from the reading on the OBD II it showed an average reading of 208 or lower until I tried heat soaking the car which then went as high as 214, is that temp not normal for the conditions I was testing at?

I do not mind changing the thermostat and gaskets along with flushing the system if it is needed, but money is a little tight at the moment:( and I don't want to replace things that will not fix the issue if there is a problem. Plus if there is a bigger problem like radiator or more then one issue going on I would need to save up for that.

I much appreciate all of the help thus far.

Thanks
Jeff

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has a relay that will kick it in to a higher speed at a certain temp (208 i think) and/or when the AC is turned on. Do you hear it "kick in" when you turn AC on?
Does your temp gauge go back to 190-200 range when driving hwy speeds?

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not have a service manual.

The gauge has never went that high before, in the past it never went any higher then this picture a side from when the sensor went bad and had it at the 250 mark.

But from the reading on the OBD II it showed an average reading of 208 or lower until I tried heat soaking the car which then went as high as 214, is that temp not normal for the conditions I was testing at?

I do not mind changing the thermostat and gaskets along with flushing the system if it is needed, but money is a little tight at the moment:( and I don't want to replace things that will not fix the issue if there is a problem. Plus if there is a bigger problem like radiator or more then one issue going on I would need to save up for that.

I much appreciate all of the help thus far.

Thanks
Jeff

I understand not wanting to waste money without pinpointing the issue. I still think a good flush/fluid change would do you good. According to the manual you may not actually have an issue, but I have never seen my temps get as high as yours and I'm in Hot/Muggy Georgia. Just drove mine for an hr today (95f) and it didn't get past the third middle tick mark, but my car has an SCT tune and aftermarket radiator so I'm not sure it's a good comparison. My fans are probably set to turn on sooner than OEM.

According to the 98 service manual the high-speed fans will come on @ 216f and off @ 208f. Low speed fans will come on @207f and @ 201f. The low speed fan should also come on when the A/C is turned on. In saying that if you car is @214 then it's within limits. I know there is a heat wave up north right now...

You can also rent a pressure checker from an autoparts store to ensure there are no leaks in the system. Last time I used on it was $130+, but it's refunded once the tool is returned. It's also not a hard test to perform.

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It has a relay that will kick it in to a higher speed at a certain temp (208 i think) and/or when the AC is turned on. Do you hear it "kick in" when you turn AC on?
Does your temp gauge go back to 190-200 range when driving hwy speeds?

Yes, when I hit the highway my gauge lowers to the 3rd line at 190 which used to be my normal high.

Yes, when I turn the AC on the fans kick on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I understand not wanting to waste money without pinpointing the issue. I still think a good flush/fluid change would do you good. According to the manual you may not actually have an issue, but I have never seen my temps get as high as yours and I'm in Hot/Muggy Georgia. Just drove mine for an hr today (95f) and it didn't get past the third middle tick mark, but my car has an SCT tune and aftermarket radiator so I'm not sure it's a good comparison. My fans are probably set to turn on sooner than OEM.

According to the 98 service manual the high-speed fans will come on @ 216f and off @ 208f. Low speed fans will come on @207f and @ 201f. The low speed fan should also come on when the A/C is turned on. In saying that if you car is @214 then it's within limits. I know there is a heat wave up north right now...

You can also rent a pressure checker from an autoparts store to ensure there are no leaks in the system. Last time I used on it was $130+, but it's refunded once the tool is returned. It's also not a hard test to perform.

I agree with doing the flush, it was on my to do list this year. But I did not want to spend the money on that if there is something else wrong or broke.

The two things I was leaning towards was either the gauge was slightly off, because when the car is shut off it never drops down to the 100 mark, which would make me think that it is reading a little higher then what the car is at. Also because when I had the OBD II hooked up and it read 214 the gauge was sitting at the 225 line, if that's correct ? not sure what that line should be as far as temp goes.

Or the radiator needs cleaned out (internal) along with a good flush, because when I drive on the highway it is giving more air flow compaired to city driving and lowering the engine temp.

Not sure if either one of my thoughts are accurate though.

Thanks again for all of the help guys.

Jeff

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude