Need some opinions: Corvette Z06 vs. Viper

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about it Venom Lover? Venom Lover has both so he is the expert, he'll probably give you his pearls of wisdom later. My take, the Viper is much faster in a straight line, close to a second faster in the 1/4, and blow you away fast on the top end (I know both by experience). Z06 is supposed to be faster in the twisties with better brakes, lighter weight and a slight edge in lateral acceleration, this I do not know first hand but will find out soon.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just buy one of each!
You must be registered for see images

Well, if you can only buy one...the choice of which car to buy comes down to personal factors and what you are looking for. I would rather drive the Z06 as a daily driver or in inclement weather. But those factors may not matter to you. If you are a big guy, you will find the Vette more comfortable. If you want kick-a$$ straight-line acceleration, the Viper is your car, though SoCal Rebell exaggerates the difference in 1/4 mile times between the two...Stock vs. stock there's about 1/2 sec difference. My GTS ran 12.3 stock vs. 12.8 for my Z06. I know there's more in both cars that I didn't tap into because I am not a seasoned drag racer. Great Viper drag racers can get 11.9-12.0 out of a Gen II Viper, and great Z06 drivers can get 12.4-12.5 (stock vs. stock). One fellow on the Corvette Forum even ran a 12.007, totally stock, including tires, but that sounds like an anomaly.

Also, for short bursts (e.g., stoplight-to-stoplight or 0-60), the Z06 matches the Viper. It is easier to launch the Z06 for sure, probably due to lower gearing. (Guys get 1.79-1.85 sec 60' times in Z06's regularly -- on the stock street tires.) My best 0-60 time (measured on G-Tech) is 4.20 sec for the Viper and 4.15 sec for the Z06.

On a road-racing track, I agree the Z06 seems a little more intuitive to handle. But there is also no question the Viper has similar handling limits, so in the end it's a matter of how well you learn the cars. Also, I'm a novice for road-racing, so perhaps my experiences should be taken with a grain of salt. For sure the Z06 has much better braking (at least compared with my '97 GTS -- perhaps this is different on the new ABS cars).

Perhaps the biggest difference between the two is gawk factor. The Z06 is just another C5, of which there are a lot on the road. The Viper is rare and defintely more breath-taking in styling. Whether or not you personally like the looks of the Viper better than the C5, the Viper will always be the one attracting crowds wherever you take it.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom Lover is right on all points. Especially "Get one of each"!
Two differant animals equally enjoyable. The "Gawk factor" is
probably a factor of 10 with the Viper.
Good luck with what ever you get.
Steve

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stock vs. stock

gawk=viper wins by far
0-60=viper barely wins
0-150=viper wins
braking=vette wins
handling=vette barely wins
power to weight ratio=vette wins
wet track=vette wins by far
comfort=vette wins
ease of driving fast=vette wins
rear view mirror fear=viper wins
bang for buck=vette wins
inciting marshall law in small college towns=viper wins
not sitting in "I" status=vette wins
getting car in yellow=viper wins

just my .02

BlackSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a C5 and have driven a couple of Z06's. I’ll just put it this way... If you want to be excited when you are driving your car, then get a Viper. If you don't, then get the Z06.

Good luck!

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last Oct I faced the same choice Z06 or Viper. I've owned 15+ Vettes and still have 4 including a 92 daily driver. I picked up a low mileage 96 GTS with three years warranty remaining for the same perice as a new Z06. NEVER regretted the decision for a second. Unless you want a daily driver, GET THE VIPER. It's the only car I have ever had that makes you smile as you put the cover on it.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by beggar:

Venom Lover, I guess the Viper is harder to launch because it doesn't have traction control and has way more torque than the Z06, but that doesn't bother me. I care more about acceleration from a roll. For example, how does it feel to be cruising in 2nd gear at 2000 rpm and suddenly punch it and go to like 5000 rpm? That's actually my favority seat of the pants method for judging a car's power.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You never want to launch a Vette from a dead stop race with traction control on. Anyone who has accidentally done this at the track will back me up on this one. So, it really has less to do with electronic control than basic issues of traction, gearing, and torque. With the stock 3.05 rear end on the Viper, you are on the hairy edge of spinning and bogging, and it takes practice to launch just right. Those with 3.45 or 3.54 rear ends will tell you that so long as you can avoid spinning, you will never bog.

If you want the car that gives you the biggest kick in the a$$ when you punch it in 2nd gear at 2000 rpm, there can be no question: you must buy the Viper. My GTS produces 410 ft-lbs of torque to the rear wheels at 2500 rpm, and it goes up to 490 rwft-lbs by 3600 rpm. In contrast, the Z06 delivers 300 ft-lbs of torque to the rear wheels at 2500 rpm, and the peak of 340 rwft-lbs is not achieved until just over 4500 rpm.

Those numbers equate to a brisk feeling of acceleration at 2500 rpm in 2nd gear in the Z06 and neck-snapping-squeeze-the-air-out-of-your-lungs acceleration in the Viper.

Rich01RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Beggar -

I wanted a Viper for years, but had the same concerns about buying used. With a little patience (and also the fact that I wanted yellow), I bought a new 2001 RT-10.
Does the color matter? Will you be using it as a daily driver? Is the ABS important? I think you can find a used Viper and with the money you save (over purchasing new) have Hennessy, TNT, Doug Levin... etc. work their magic if there's any concern about rolling starts or standstill - you WILL crush the competition. You can also purchase new, and as I plan on doing, get the mods as your budget allows. Either way, nothing compares to the attention and the fun you will have driving this car.
Whether you decide to go new or used, I highly recommend giving Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse Dodge a call - 1-800-889-1893.

Hope this helps -

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"The luxury tax died a well deserved death..." unfortunately, this is not true. The luxury tax is still around, but is being phased out over the next several years. New Vipers have a gas guzzler tax of $3000 and luxury tax as well

venemous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys.....??? Just by the FERRARI F50 then no worries or depreciation . The Viper does way better than any other american car as far as holding its value!!
Im kinda tired of hearing which is better?? The answer is all about the persons desires and long term goals.

ME ,WELL WE KNOW WHAT I BOUGHT , I JOINED THE VCA

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I drove a Z06, I was expecting a lot more. It is faster than it feels though. If you drove a GTS/Z06 back to back, you'd think they Z was a lot slower than the numbers say.

I LOVE the kick in the butt the Viper gives. The Z06 is close 0-60, not that close 0-100, and 0-150 it's not close
The Z is geared lower, and has great tires, but it doesn't pack the pinch of the Viper.

HOWEVER, it is a lot cheaper, and is easier to drive. I wouldn't drive a Viper year round, but I would drive a Z06 year round.

Drive both and I bet your decision will be obvious - either way.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vettes Built = Over 1 million

Vipers built = Only 13 thousand? Remaining on the road less than 10 thousand bearing in mind the wreck ratio.

Low profile = Z06

Traffic stopping, people come out-of-the-building to see it, great looking women wondering why you don't wear your wedding ring, sit in the garage and stare at it, endless grin and 4-hour trip-to-the corner store....

<FONT size="6">VIPER!!!!</FONT s>

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235