Need some opinions...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Strange 1: That first car is an ACR, with NO ABS and NO FOG LITES (yet both are claimed)

Strange 2: The side sill is obviously buggered / replaced. Whassup With THAT ?? It also has 2005 wheels.....maybe he banged sills and wheels same time?

Get a VIPER BUYERS GUIDE ASAP and dont rush into either of these two til you get some answers

You can also call me for insights...we also have a great tech in Wilmington NC that MAY know these exact cars.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bruin_d

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't actually looked at the first one in person yet but I know it has been advertised for like 6-8 months. The second one I check out last weekend and it looked really nice and drove nice. It is a one owner car and the owner was like 70 so it is very possible that he rubbed something.

V

Venomiss

This thread may be helpful for you.

What year is the best one to own?

This has information you might like too. On all years.
Dodge Viper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Try the search and plug in differences in Vipers. Comes up with a whole bunch of threads to look through.
You might want to check out some of the threads in the new owners section at the top of the page. It might hold some answers to your questions.

One idea for you might be to contact a local Viper club near you. Many cars from our club have changed hands by word of mouth. You get the history on the Viper and meet the owner. We have a VCA member right now in our club who has two Vipers and is thinking of selling his 99 GTS. Feel free to PM me if you are want information.:)
Good luck in your hunt.

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like the side sills on the second car were painted to match the aftermarket stripes...not sure I like the way it looks, and I'm not really big on the cognac interior. My advice is this 1) research the differences between model years 2) decide what features you want (ABS, forged vs. cast internals, 18" vs. 17" wheels, etc.) 3) decide what color(s)/stripes you want 4) find that car. You don't want to be saying "I wish I would have gotten _____" a year from now.

As for these particular cars, if forced induction is in your future, the '99 has forged internals which will stand up to that better. But, I've heard there have also been issues with availability of replacement shocks for the ACR. The '01 has ABS and larger rear calipers, but cast pistons. Find out what work has been done on these cars--have the power steering pump pulley/bracket been changed (prone to failure on Gen II)? There was a frame recall on early GTS's (not sure if it extended to 99's).

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strange 1: That first car is an ACR, with NO ABS and NO FOG LITES (yet both are claimed)

Strange 2: The side sill is obviously buggered / replaced. Whassup With THAT ?? It also has 2005 wheels.....maybe he banged sills and wheels same time?

For those of us who are less-informed than the average Viper owner, how do you know the first car is an ACR? What gave it away in the pictures? Also, I couldn't see that the side sills on the second one were damaged or replaced.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I vote for the 2001. Much less miles and I think it looks much better. If it checks out okay, side sills can be changed no problem.

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of us who are less-informed than the average Viper owner, how do you know the first car is an ACR?

1. Absence of fog lights
2. BBS ACR wheels
3. ACR-labeled racing harnesses
4. ACR badge on center console
5. ACR hood decal
6. smooth intake tubes

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For those of us who are less-informed than the average Viper owner, how do you know the first car is an ACR? What gave it away in the pictures? Also, I couldn't see that the side sills on the second one were damaged or replaced.

The block-out no-fog lites and the BBS silver wheels are a dead-giveaway, and if you look closely you see the ACR decal on the side of hood. The clueless dealer claims fog lites and ABS, this car has neither....

Painting the 01 sills to match the stripes is so hideous that I merely assumed it was a replace-repair-job in process. I could not conceive that look was INTENDED !!!

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I had not come across this one yet. I sent him an email. Thanks."

No prob, be sure to let us all know what you go for :)

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check through the classifieds on here. I can tell you Pingi is selling one bad ass viper now. A little out of your price range but if your going to go big might as well go real big. Believe he has it listed for 49. Wish his car was for sale back in November, would have been sold that day. Definitely worth it.

The one on ebay is equally as impressive. Great upgrades. If your looking for a stock viper, plenty to find. If you plan on upgrading, even more to find on here.

If you are close to buying one and are pretty set, shoot Jon B an email and have him scan over it. Might save you a few bucks or provide insight on the car that you otherwise would not find out.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having owned one, I think the sapphire is the best (if not the only) color that works with a cognac interior. But I have to agree with Jon re: the side sills. :crazy2:

I have to wonder when a seller (in this case a "dealer" in the sense that they have a 250 car inventory) can't properly represent their cars. Either they're ignorant or liars....both perfect reasons to avoid them. Cruise control? Charcoal interior? I WOULD like to know who's signatures are written next to the drivers seat. Can anyone make it out?

With all the cars that are available from VCA members (adversely affected by recession), why would you consider buying a viper elsewhere? With one post, you'll be able to learn a member's viper history detailed virtually to every time it left his/her garage! Be safe and buy HERE! :2tu:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How/Why could/would someone ruin a beautifull Sapphire Viper like that??????

Fail#1:
SideSills look like crap
Fail#2:
Wheels dont look good with the silver stripes
Fail#3:
Stripes are Wimpy (too thin)

If this car could be had for cheap, i'd simply remove the stripes, and repaint the Sills ,then and only Then would it be MONEY:2tu:

OP
OP
B

bruin_d

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Funny you should put this up because while I was on the phone with Bill yesterday one of the things he talked to me about was where the good mechanics are and that he and his tech are just a phone call away for ANY questions. From all of the reading I've done in the past month or so it seems that nobody has gone wrong purchasing anything from Bill P so I am more than likely going to buy that silver ACR he has.

viper02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went through all of this and have the most beautiful 2001 GTS. Call
me. I'm in Ca. Craig@707 576-7594. Preimer in MO. is the place to go, but call. love to talk to you. Craig 01 GTS, HRE's, Brembo brakes,lowered, smooth tubes,etc.

Lemon_Twist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a good deal on one from Legendary Motorcar Co. in ON, Canada. Asking price is $56,900 CAD which translates to roughly $48K USD, a tad higher than your stated range. However, we are talking a 2,400 mile 2002 ACR in a very sharp color combo.

2002 DODGE VIPER ACR

Above is the link to the Autotrader ad. If you go to the LMC site, they have a set of pictures.

Rod